TradeMe can be entertaining.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by I'm a Trampoline, Jun 23, 2005.

  1. I'm a Trampoline, Jun 23, 2005

  2. I'm a Trampoline

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Jun 23, 2005

  3. I'm a Trampoline

    Allistar Guest

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Peripherals/Scanners/auction-29400494.htm

    >> They wanted $140.

    > I often ask if people are serious with what they are expecting... so few
    > answer the questions...

    That's because the questions aren't made public until they are answered. The
    seller was not wise to answer the comments at all.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jun 23, 2005
  4. Richard wrote:
    > I'm a Trampoline wrote:
    >
    >> Check out the comment exchange between this seller and potential
    >> customer. Haha.
    >>
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Peripherals/Scanners/auction-29400494.htm
    >>

    >> They wanted $140.

    > I often ask if people are serious with what they are expecting... so few
    > answer the questions...

    I just told someone to give me a fixed price offer of $70 for a used
    (without packet) 1 gig flash drive if they want to sell it. (Current
    PriceSpy minimum is $110, albeit for a cheaper brand.) They offered $95,
    $5 more than their reserve! I got the PriceSpy cheapie instead.

    When it comes to electrical goods, too many sellers base their reserve
    on what they paid for it, rather than what an equivalent item costs
    today. This usually results in a reserve as high as what you could get
    the new equivalet for.
    I'm a Trampoline, Jun 23, 2005
  5. I'm a Trampoline

    thing Guest

    I'm a Trampoline wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> I'm a Trampoline wrote:
    >>
    >>> Check out the comment exchange between this seller and potential
    >>> customer. Haha.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Peripherals/Scanners/auction-29400494.htm
    >>>

    >>> They wanted $140.

    >> I often ask if people are serious with what they are expecting... so
    >> few answer the questions...

    > I just told someone to give me a fixed price offer of $70 for a used
    > (without packet) 1 gig flash drive if they want to sell it. (Current
    > PriceSpy minimum is $110, albeit for a cheaper brand.) They offered $95,
    > $5 more than their reserve! I got the PriceSpy cheapie instead.
    >
    > When it comes to electrical goods, too many sellers base their reserve
    > on what they paid for it, rather than what an equivalent item costs
    > today. This usually results in a reserve as high as what you could get
    > the new equivalet for.

    Yep.

    pricespy is your friend......

    Some stuff is cheaper, GPS's seem cheaper because they are grey imported
    but some computer stuff on trademe is the same price as DSE or even
    more (postage)....

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jun 23, 2005
  6. I'm a Trampoline

    JohnO Guest

    I found this to be particularly true of plasma tv's and computers -
    both items where the price/performance ratio is perpetually falling.
    JohnO, Jun 23, 2005
  7. I'm a Trampoline

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:25:07 +1200, Allistar wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> I'm a Trampoline wrote:
    >>> Check out the comment exchange between this seller and potential
    >>> customer. Haha.
    >>>

    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Peripherals/Scanners/auction-29400494.htm
    >>>

    >>> They wanted $140.

    >> I often ask if people are serious with what they are expecting... so few
    >> answer the questions...

    > That's because the questions aren't made public until they are answered. The
    > seller was not wise to answer the comments at all.

    So in effect you are saying that what one sees is censored? In effect it
    is positive spin for TradeMe and the seller.

    What is the point of "feedback" if it only made public when responed to?
    Gordon, Jun 24, 2005
  8. I'm a Trampoline

    Shane Guest

    >> That's because the questions aren't made public until they are answered. The
    >> seller was not wise to answer the comments at all.

    > So in effect you are saying that what one sees is censored? In effect it
    > is positive spin for TradeMe and the seller.
    >
    > What is the point of "feedback" if it only made public when responed to?

    Arent the questions also 'published' after an auction has completed?
    and, the feedback is different from the questions, you can view anyones
    feedback by clicking on their nick and following appropriate links

    Shane, Jun 24, 2005
  9. I'm a Trampoline

    Richard Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Arent the questions also 'published' after an auction has completed?
    > and, the feedback is different from the questions, you can view anyones
    > feedback by clicking on their nick and following appropriate links

    Yeah they are, so it pays to search the item in closed auctions and see what
    people asked about it...
    Richard, Jun 24, 2005
  10. Gordon <> wrote:

    >What is the point of "feedback" if it only made public when responed to?

    The presence of unanswered questions is, in itself, a sign that an
    auction may be dodgy.
    Steve Marshall, Jun 24, 2005
  11. I'm a Trampoline

    Invisible Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:39:13 +1200, Steve Marshall <> wrote:

    >Gordon <> wrote:
    >
    >>What is the point of "feedback" if it only made public when responed to?

    >The presence of unanswered questions is, in itself, a sign that an
    >auction may be dodgy.

    Not necessarily. Some questions are so lame they're not worth answering.
    Invisible, Jun 24, 2005
  12. I'm a Trampoline

    Mark Guest

    My favourite was the guy who got grumpy when I suggested his 025 phone for
    $500 'which comes with its own number' might be worth $25......

    I like that - a phone with its own number - next it will be cars with their
    own wheels...... :)

    Mark, Jun 24, 2005
  13. Invisible wrote:

    >>The presence of unanswered questions is, in itself, a sign that an
    >>auction may be dodgy.

    >Not necessarily. Some questions are so lame they're not worth answering.

    That's why I said "may be". I figure no question is so lame that it's
    not worth answering. But that may be clear already.
    Steve Marshall, Jun 24, 2005
  14. I'm a Trampoline

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Invisible wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:39:13 +1200, Steve Marshall <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is the point of "feedback" if it only made public when
    >>> responed to?

    >> The presence of unanswered questions is, in itself, a sign that an
    >> auction may be dodgy.

    > Not necessarily. Some questions are so lame they're not worth
    > answering.

    Purely from my own point of view, if there are unanswered questions on an
    auction, and they're still unanswered 12-24 hours later I don't bid. I
    figure either the vendor is lackadaisical or the product is bad and
    answering the question would show that.

    I answer all questions on any auctions I've run on Trademe, no matter how
    lame. Otherwise it makes me look bad.

    JMO.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 24, 2005
  15. "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >I answer all questions on any auctions I've run on Trademe, no matter how
    >lame. Otherwise it makes me look bad.

    That's right. There are creative and gently humorous ways of informing
    a questioner exactly what size your "17-inch Philips CRT monitor" is.
    Steve Marshall, Jun 24, 2005
  16. I'm a Trampoline

    Harry Guest

    Steve Marshall wrote:

    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I answer all questions on any auctions I've run on Trademe, no matter how
    >>lame. Otherwise it makes me look bad.

    > That's right. There are creative and gently humorous ways of informing
    > a questioner exactly what size your "17-inch Philips CRT monitor" is.

    Mine is 16 1/2".
    Harry, Jun 24, 2005
  17. I'm a Trampoline

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Harry wrote:
    > Steve Marshall wrote:
    >

    >>"~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I answer all questions on any auctions I've run on Trademe, no matter how
    >>>lame. Otherwise it makes me look bad.

    >>That's right. There are creative and gently humorous ways of informing
    >>a questioner exactly what size your "17-inch Philips CRT monitor" is.

    > Mine is 16 1/2".

    Maybe, but if you give that as an answer, some trademe buyers will think
    that they are being ripped off and go and bid on a different 17" monitor.

    :)
    -=rjh=-, Jun 24, 2005
  18. I'm a Trampoline

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 08:46:52 +1200, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Harry wrote:
    >> Steve Marshall wrote:

    >>>That's right. There are creative and gently humorous ways of informing
    >>>a questioner exactly what size your "17-inch Philips CRT monitor" is.

    >> Mine is 16 1/2".
    >>

    >Maybe, but if you give that as an answer, some trademe buyers will think
    >that they are being ripped off and go and bid on a different 17" monitor.
    >
    > :)

    That's true! Some bidders aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. DVD title
    listed in the DVD category "Is this a DVD or Video tape?", duhhhhh.
    Invisible, Jun 24, 2005
  19. I'm a Trampoline

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Steve Marshall wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I answer all questions on any auctions I've run on Trademe, no
    >> matter how lame. Otherwise it makes me look bad.

    > That's right. There are creative and gently humorous ways of informing
    > a questioner exactly what size your "17-inch Philips CRT monitor" is.

    LOL. I haven't sold anything on Trademe for a while but I swear half of my
    replies started "As I stated in the description......." or "As the title of
    the auction states........"
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 25, 2005
  20. In <S3Tue.9985$> Harry wrote:
    > Steve Marshall wrote:
    >
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I answer all questions on any auctions I've run on Trademe, no matter
    >>>how lame. Otherwise it makes me look bad.

    >> That's right. There are creative and gently humorous ways of
    >> informing a questioner exactly what size your "17-inch Philips CRT
    >> monitor" is.

    > Mine is 16 1/2".

    I'm tempted to bid on one of the many 17-foot monitors I see for auction,
    but imagine how much the freight for a 17' monitor would be!

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jun 25, 2005