Trademe bitch...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Apr 27, 2011.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I hate the way that a 'trader' can just blacklist you from their auctions. I
    must have been blacklisted by at least half-a-dozen now simply for pointing
    out that they are describing their goods wrongly, or even questioning if
    what they've written is in fact correct!

    I tried complaining to Tardeme a long time ago about it, pointing out that I
    was doing a service for their other customers by catching out people who
    were falsly advertising. Of course they didn't want to know, saying that
    traders can chose who they want to sell to.

    The interesting thing is that it's usually traders with a thousand or more
    'trades' that are the quickest to use the blacklist feature. They've got so
    many balls in the air they don't want to be bothered with the truth!

    Ehhh! I don't feel any better for venting.... As you were. :-/
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, Apr 27, 2011

  2. ~misfit~

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:22:59 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >I hate the way that a 'trader' can just blacklist you from their auctions. I
    >must have been blacklisted by at least half-a-dozen now simply for pointing
    >out that they are describing their goods wrongly, or even questioning if
    >what they've written is in fact correct!
    >
    >I tried complaining to Tardeme a long time ago about it, pointing out that I
    >was doing a service for their other customers by catching out people who
    >were falsly advertising. Of course they didn't want to know, saying that
    >traders can chose who they want to sell to.
    >
    >The interesting thing is that it's usually traders with a thousand or more
    >'trades' that are the quickest to use the blacklist feature. They've got so
    >many balls in the air they don't want to be bothered with the truth!

    What I can't understand is why you'd even *want* to trade with these
    traders. Frankly, I'd be happy to be blacklisted by them.

    Donchano, Apr 27, 2011

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:22:59 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> I hate the way that a 'trader' can just blacklist you from their
    >> auctions. I must have been blacklisted by at least half-a-dozen now
    >> simply for pointing out that they are describing their goods
    >> wrongly, or even questioning if what they've written is in fact
    >> correct!
    >>
    >> I tried complaining to Tardeme a long time ago about it, pointing
    >> out that I was doing a service for their other customers by catching
    >> out people who were falsly advertising. Of course they didn't want
    >> to know, saying that traders can chose who they want to sell to.
    >>
    >> The interesting thing is that it's usually traders with a thousand
    >> or more 'trades' that are the quickest to use the blacklist feature.
    >> They've got so many balls in the air they don't want to be bothered
    >> with the truth!

    > What I can't understand is why you'd even *want* to trade with these
    > traders. Frankly, I'd be happy to be blacklisted by them.

    The thing is, most of the time I don't. They just happen to be selling in a
    category that I'm perusing and obviously I know a lot more about than they
    do (or they're just trying to rip people off). It must be the latter if they
    don't take being corrected very well.

    ~misfit~, Apr 27, 2011
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <ip7nl6$8g5$>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >> I hate the way that a 'trader' can just blacklist you from their
    >> auctions. I must have been blacklisted by at least half-a-dozen now
    >> simply for pointing out that they are describing their goods
    >> wrongly, or even questioning if what they've written is in fact
    >> correct!
    >>
    >> I tried complaining to Tardeme a long time ago about it, pointing
    >> out that I was doing a service for their other customers by catching
    >> out people who were falsly advertising. Of course they didn't want
    >> to know, saying that traders can chose who they want to sell to.
    >>
    >> The interesting thing is that it's usually traders with a thousand
    >> or more 'trades' that are the quickest to use the blacklist feature.
    >> They've got so many balls in the air they don't want to be bothered
    >> with the truth!
    >>
    >> Ehhh! I don't feel any better for venting.... As you were. :-/

    > Bummer. I didn't know you could blacklist, so thanks for that.

    Heh! You've obviously never called someone on something that they'd hoped to
    get away with then. They can call you a liar and, when you go to defend
    yourself and put it right, find yourself blacklisted. Cool ay?

    > For me, I'd settle for not being charged the full (admitedly small)
    > value of
    > something by trademe if 'withdrawing' it. This happened to me
    > recently, so I
    > simply added a comment that 'this is no longer for sale so don't bid
    > on it'.
    > Thankfully, no one did. :)

    Excellent.

    > I can't see it costs them much if anything and surely withdrawing
    > something
    > is better than continuing to sell it when you know there's something
    > wrong
    > with it ? <sigh>
    > Unless you do it a lot of course ... but most of us don't ? :)

    LOL, nah, I'm not. I have had people ask me why I don't put things on TM and
    just say 'untested'. I don't know, there's just something in my makeup that
    won't allow me to do that with something that I know to be faulty. However I
    think I'm in the minority. I've come to read 'untested' as 'not working' and
    it cost me a bit to learn that a hell of a lot of people are arseholes.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Apr 27, 2011
  5. ~misfit~

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 17:44:08 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    >> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:22:59 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >>> I hate the way that a 'trader' can just blacklist you from their
    >>> auctions. I must have been blacklisted by at least half-a-dozen now
    >>> simply for pointing out that they are describing their goods
    >>> wrongly, or even questioning if what they've written is in fact
    >>> correct!
    >>>
    >>> I tried complaining to Tardeme a long time ago about it, pointing
    >>> out that I was doing a service for their other customers by catching
    >>> out people who were falsly advertising. Of course they didn't want
    >>> to know, saying that traders can chose who they want to sell to.
    >>>
    >>> The interesting thing is that it's usually traders with a thousand
    >>> or more 'trades' that are the quickest to use the blacklist feature.
    >>> They've got so many balls in the air they don't want to be bothered
    >>> with the truth!

    >> What I can't understand is why you'd even *want* to trade with these
    >> traders. Frankly, I'd be happy to be blacklisted by them.

    >The thing is, most of the time I don't. They just happen to be selling in a
    >category that I'm perusing and obviously I know a lot more about than they
    >do (or they're just trying to rip people off). It must be the latter if they
    >don't take being corrected very well.

    Well ... I better be careful what I say from now on. Shortly after
    replying to your post I tried to ask a question on TradeMe about a
    vintage watch that appeared to be damaged. I was going to ask if the
    dial was porcelain and was that a crack or discolouring I could see in
    the photo. But when I attempted to send the question a TradeMe widow
    popped up telling me that I'd been blacklisted by the seller. Guess I
    asked this kind of question before - not rudely, but, as you mentioned
    .... some traders don't appreciate the flaws in their items being
    pointed out.

    BTW - I've blacklisted that trader in return. And he's the first and
    only trader I've blacklisted.

    Donchano, Apr 27, 2011
  6. In article <>, d
    says...

    > On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 17:44:08 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    > >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > >> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:22:59 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > >> <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    > >> What I can't understand is why you'd even *want* to trade with these
    > >> traders. Frankly, I'd be happy to be blacklisted by them.

    > >The thing is, most of the time I don't. They just happen to be selling in a
    > >category that I'm perusing and obviously I know a lot more about than they
    > >do (or they're just trying to rip people off). It must be the latter if they
    > >don't take being corrected very well.

    > Well ... I better be careful what I say from now on. Shortly after
    > replying to your post I tried to ask a question on TradeMe about a
    > vintage watch that appeared to be damaged. I was going to ask if the
    > dial was porcelain and was that a crack or discolouring I could see in
    > the photo. But when I attempted to send the question a TradeMe widow
    > popped up telling me that I'd been blacklisted by the seller. Guess I
    > asked this kind of question before - not rudely, but, as you mentioned
    > ... some traders don't appreciate the flaws in their items being
    > pointed out.
    >
    > BTW - I've blacklisted that trader in return. And he's the first and
    > only trader I've blacklisted.

    The bizarre thing about it is, so long as they don't reply, your question won't
    even be visible to other people, so it won't detract from their item (except
    the page shows 'there are nn unanswered questions on this auction'.
    To blacklist someone like that is just sheer orneriness.

    I think Trademe should show the questions regardless, and I think they should
    prevent sellers from blacklisting buyers willy-nilly. Although, being able to
    blacklist someone because _they_ have not come up with the cash or otherwise
    messed up one of your auctions is desirable as an option, I can see that.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 27, 2011
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > d says...
    >>
    >> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 17:44:08 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>> The thing is, most of the time I don't. They just happen to be
    >>> selling in a category that I'm perusing and obviously I know a lot
    >>> more about than they do (or they're just trying to rip people off).
    >>> It must be the latter if they don't take being corrected very well.

    >> Well ... I better be careful what I say from now on. Shortly after
    >> replying to your post I tried to ask a question on TradeMe about a
    >> vintage watch that appeared to be damaged. I was going to ask if the
    >> dial was porcelain and was that a crack or discolouring I could see
    >> in the photo. But when I attempted to send the question a TradeMe
    >> widow popped up telling me that I'd been blacklisted by the seller.
    >> Guess I asked this kind of question before - not rudely, but, as you
    >> mentioned ... some traders don't appreciate the flaws in their items
    >> being pointed out.
    >>
    >> BTW - I've blacklisted that trader in return. And he's the first and
    >> only trader I've blacklisted.

    Hi Peter.

    > The bizarre thing about it is, so long as they don't reply, your
    > question won't even be visible to other people, so it won't detract
    > from their item (except the page shows 'there are nn unanswered
    > questions on this auction'.
    > To blacklist someone like that is just sheer orneriness.
    >
    > I think Trademe should show the questions regardless, and I think
    > they should prevent sellers from blacklisting buyers willy-nilly.

    Yeah, good luck with that. I spent a few days firing emails back-and-forth
    with Trademe on exactly this issue. I told Trademe that I know my ThinkPads
    and some sellers are mis-representing their goods and, when I ask for
    clarification I'm getting blacklisted. Trademe don't care if the buyer *is*
    being lead down the garden path, as long as the get their pound of flesh.

    > Although, being able to blacklist someone because _they_ have not
    > come up with the cash or otherwise messed up one of your auctions is
    > desirable as an option, I can see that.

    I guess. However I've not heard of the feature being used like that. It's
    mainly used to keep people from blowing the lid off the scam...

    ~misfit~, Apr 27, 2011
  8. ~misfit~

    Boots Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 17:48:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > LOL, nah, I'm not. I have had people ask me why I don't put things on TM
    > and just say 'untested'. I don't know, there's just something in my
    > makeup that won't allow me to do that with something that I know to be
    > faulty. However I think I'm in the minority. I've come to read
    > 'untested' as 'not working' and it cost me a bit to learn that a hell of
    > a lot of people are arseholes.

    I think you're taking an honorable stance on this. I applaud you for
    doing so.

    Boots, Apr 27, 2011
  9. In article <ip8anb$6ej$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    (snip)
    >> Bummer. I didn't know you could blacklist, so thanks for that.

    >Heh! You've obviously never called someone on something that they'd hoped to
    >get away with then. They can call you a liar and, when you go to defend
    >yourself and put it right, find yourself blacklisted. Cool ay?

    Ay indeed ! I admit I usually just pass the dodgy listings by (figuring that
    'people are cleverer than that' pehaps ?). Neither do I take what I read at
    face value (ie I have never said "it must be true, I read it on the interweb
    thingy" ... well, not when I haven't been taking the piss at least :) ).
    I suspect that my assumptions aren't true ? :)

    (snip)

    >LOL, nah, I'm not. I have had people ask me why I don't put things on TM and
    >just say 'untested'. I don't know, there's just something in my makeup that
    >won't allow me to do that with something that I know to be faulty. However I
    >think I'm in the minority. I've come to read 'untested' as 'not working' and
    >it cost me a bit to learn that a hell of a lot of people are arseholes.

    Hmm ... connecting this with the points above, I do recall someone I know
    selling a dishwasher that said clearly something like "broken, doesn't work,
    good for parts" (or similar). They got ~ $120 for it (and were very
    surprised figuring they buyer must have a few broken ones with different
    faults !), the people paid the money picked it up, and brought it back the
    next day saying 'it doesn't work'. Perhaps people *are* that stupid and
    don't in fact read *anything*, let alone one version only ?? :) :)

    Outcome of the dishwasher story was "what part of doesn't work don't you
    understand?", no refund was given, and the grumpy 'buyer' left it there.
    The person sold it again for scrap at the tip. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 28, 2011
  10. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-04-27, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Trademe don't care if the buyer *is*
    > being lead down the garden path, as long as the get their pound of flesh.

    Gentle people this *is* *it*. Trademe is nothing more or less than a
    bussiness, who object is to make profit. As long as it is done legally then
    they care not how it is done.

    They are not there to do anything else. Never consider them as worrying
    about correcting societies problems, scammers, as long as the sales keep on
    happening.

    Look at any big company, same rules apply. Trademe is not alone. Forget the
    pre sold Trademe, read about it in history.

    another aspect is that Trademe is somewhat of a monolopy, the name is so
    well known it is almost has the meaning of an online web site. In the same
    way that Biro, means a ball point pen, rather than a brand of ball point
    pen.

    The only real way to win this battle is to set up a very sucessful auction
    web site which has openess and honesty as its base and people use it.

    There have been sharletons (Charlatans) for eons.

    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlatan

    In usage, a subtle difference is drawn between the charlatan and other kinds
    of confidence people. The charlatan is usually a salesperson. He does not
    try to create a personal relationship with his marks, or set up an elaborate
    hoax using roleplaying. Rather, the person called a charlatan is being
    accused of resorting to quackery, pseudoscience, or some knowingly employed
    bogus means of impressing people in order to swindle his victims by selling
    them worthless nostrums and similar goods or services that will not deliver
    on the promises made for them.

    Unquote

    Gordon, Apr 28, 2011
  11. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-04-27, Bruce Sinclair <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > Hmm ... connecting this with the points above, I do recall someone I know
    > selling a dishwasher that said clearly something like "broken, doesn't work,
    > good for parts" (or similar). They got ~ $120 for it (and were very
    > surprised figuring they buyer must have a few broken ones with different
    > faults !), the people paid the money picked it up, and brought it back the
    > next day saying 'it doesn't work'. Perhaps people *are* that stupid and
    > don't in fact read *anything*, let alone one version only ?? :) :)

    A mere days reading of Usenet proves this beyond all reasonable doubt.

    Have you read your contract with your electricity supplier, your ISP, your
    telecommunications supplier, etc?

    At these days they are in plan English.

    Gordon, Apr 28, 2011
  12. In article <>, says...

    > Gentle people this *is* *it*. Trademe is nothing more or less than a
    > bussiness, who object is to make profit. As long as it is done legally then
    > they care not how it is done.

    Of course they are a business. However, aiding and abetting is still considered
    to be illegal in many various criminal activities - and fraud (e.g. knowingly
    misrepresenting the goods you are selling) is an illegal activity - period.

    They are actually on thin ice regarding being caught out as a quasi-fence and
    they _are_trying to remove auctions where it's pointed out to them that the
    goods are stolen as far as I am aware.

    However, considering the number of people using the site every day, I am not in
    the least surprised that they have problems policing their auctions, or even
    meaningfully engaging in dialogue about borderline fraud cases.

    Which in no way excuses their not making an effort to eliminate scam artists...
    any business is so far obliged to operate inside the law, which makes me wonder
    what would happen if Shaun would talk to Consumer Affairs about the goings on.

    Consumer Affairs want documentation, mind. I was scammed by Telecom once and
    because I had nothing on paper or email, CA agreed with me in principle (they
    had had similar complaints from other sources alas Telecom had carefully not
    sent any of us the paperwork promised over the phone) and so they could not be
    prosecuted.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 28, 2011
  13. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    On 28/04/2011 8:31 a.m., Robert Cooze wrote:
    > On 28/04/11 00:07, Boots wrote:
    >> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 17:48:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> LOL, nah, I'm not. I have had people ask me why I don't put things on TM
    >>> and just say 'untested'. I don't know, there's just something in my
    >>> makeup that won't allow me to do that with something that I know to be
    >>> faulty. However I think I'm in the minority. I've come to read
    >>> 'untested' as 'not working' and it cost me a bit to learn that a hell of
    >>> a lot of people are arseholes.

    >> I think you're taking an honorable stance on this. I applaud you for
    >> doing so.
    >>

    > I have found selling old or faulty goods like TV's there is a market for
    > there parts I when selling am strait up saying does not work in the
    > title and description.
    >
    > A TV I sold they wanted the the tube and a dishwasher and oven the scrap
    > value of the metal was less than they paid and more than for me to dump it.
    >
    > But saying untested if it is bung not my style. I have seen does not
    > work auctions where the photo gives a good clue to why it did not work
    > and cheep fix, some of those auctions went for silly money.

    There is an abundance of broken TVs on trademe. I guess that people dont
    want to have to lug it to the side of the road.

    Richard, Apr 28, 2011
  14. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    On 28/04/2011 5:30 p.m., Gordon wrote:
    > On 2011-04-27, ~misfit~<> wrote:
    >> Trademe don't care if the buyer *is*
    >> being lead down the garden path, as long as the get their pound of flesh.

    > Gentle people this *is* *it*. Trademe is nothing more or less than a
    > bussiness, who object is to make profit. As long as it is done legally then
    > they care not how it is done.

    They pull anything that looks like an apple music player or phone,
    claiming that its because buyers are confused, yet allow nokia or other
    replicas stay on there.

    I think its because they are owned by a media company that gets
    advertising revenue from apple and had the hard word put on them. Ebay
    seem to be quite happy to have 100s of varietys of players that go from
    dead ringer for a shuffle all the way thru to being about as dissimilar
    as you can be and still even be considered to be inspired by the apple
    device. Trademe wouldnt let any like that be sold on their site.

    The problem is it is just that, THEIR site, so you cant do anything
    about it.

    In saying that, I dont think that anything should be done to stop the
    blacklisting, just like you can ask anyone to leave your real shop, you
    should be able to keep them off your listings too.

    Richard, Apr 28, 2011
  15. ~misfit~

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 4/28/2011 5:38 PM, Gordon wrote:

    > Have you read your contract with your electricity supplier, your ISP, your
    > telecommunications supplier, etc?
    >
    > At these days they are in plan English.

    Meaning "I plan to read them one day" ;-)

    Gib Bogle, Apr 29, 2011
  16. ~misfit~

    pystol Guest

    On Apr 27, 4:17 pm,
    (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    > In article <ip7nl6$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > >I hate the way that a 'trader' can just blacklist you from their auctions. I
    > >must have been blacklisted by at least half-a-dozen now simply for pointing
    > >out that they are describing their goods wrongly, or even questioning if
    > >what they've written is in fact correct!

    > >I tried complaining to Tardeme a long time ago about it, pointing out that I
    > >was doing a service for their other customers by catching out people who
    > >were falsly advertising. Of course they didn't want to know, saying that
    > >traders can chose who they want to sell to.

    > >The interesting thing is that it's usually traders with a thousand or more
    > >'trades' that are the quickest to use the blacklist feature. They've gotso
    > >many balls in the air they don't want to be bothered with the truth!

    > >Ehhh! I don't feel any better for venting.... As you were. :-/

    > Bummer. I didn't know you could blacklist, so thanks for that.
    >
    > For me, I'd settle for not being charged the full (admitedly small) valueof
    > something by trademe if 'withdrawing' it. This happened to me recently, so I
    > simply added a comment that 'this is no longer for sale so don't bid on it'.
    > Thankfully, no one did. :)

    TradeMe doesn't like that and if they see it will presume you have
    advertised it for sale somewhere else or have avoided having to pay
    their selling fee or some other crap. Unfortunately TradeMe is the
    position of being able to shit on us whenever they want to and the do
    ay every opportunity.

    It's best to add a couple of zeros to your selling price to deter
    people from bidding and don't put the "this item is no longer for
    sale" notice up. $3 to get something 'officially' withdrawn - ****
    that!

    pystol, Apr 29, 2011
  17. In article <>, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >Consumer Affairs want documentation, mind. I was scammed by Telecom once and
    >because I had nothing on paper or email, CA agreed with me in principle (they
    >had had similar complaints from other sources alas Telecom had carefully not
    >sent any of us the paperwork promised over the phone) and so they could not be
    >prosecuted.

    This is a favourite tactic of phone salesmin. "no we can't send you the
    contract because we don't have it" was the best answer I got after I said
    something like "yes, I would love to buy your product, please send me the
    contract so I can read it and sign it". :)
    So, how could they answer actual qwuestions about it then ? Classic. :) Yet
    that can apparently get everything *they* need for a "contract" over the
    phone. Fascinating. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 2, 2011
  18. In article <ipd4r8$qnt$>, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >On 4/28/2011 5:38 PM, Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> Have you read your contract with your electricity supplier, your ISP, your
    >> telecommunications supplier, etc?
    >>
    >> At these days they are in plan English.

    >Meaning "I plan to read them one day" ;-)

    I'll translate so no one has to read the things and get depressed ...

    1) We, the supplier, while in the business of supplying <insert service
    here>, promise nothing at all.
    2) You the consumer, promise to pay us (the supplier) as much as we ask for
    without question.
    3) If you, the consumer, have a problem with that, see (1)
    4) If you still have a problem, we are happy to disconnect you for a fee (to
    be set by us).

    See, easy ! :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 2, 2011
  19. In article <>, pystol <> wrote:
    >On Apr 27, 4:17=A0pm,
    >(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    (snip)
    >> Bummer. I didn't know you could blacklist, so thanks for that.
    >>
    >> For me, I'd settle for not being charged the full (admitedly small) value=

    > of
    >> something by trademe if 'withdrawing' it. This happened to me recently, s=

    >o I
    >> simply added a comment that 'this is no longer for sale so don't bid on i=

    >t'.
    >> Thankfully, no one did. :)

    >TradeMe doesn't like that and if they see it will presume you have
    >advertised it for sale somewhere else or have avoided having to pay
    >their selling fee or some other crap. Unfortunately TradeMe is the
    >position of being able to shit on us whenever they want to and the do
    >ay every opportunity.
    >
    >It's best to add a couple of zeros to your selling price to deter
    >people from bidding and don't put the "this item is no longer for
    >sale" notice up. $3 to get something 'officially' withdrawn - ****
    >that!

    Problem with upping the "price" is that some idiots delight in stupid bids.
    Creates extra problems, success fees etc.
    That's the first thing I've ever tried to withdraw ... and should something
    similar ever happen again (which I doubt) I will use the same method to
    prevent the sale. :)

    Each "option" that trademe adds makes them less useful for me. Sadly, they
    really are the only game in town ... but there will come a time ... :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 2, 2011
  20. ~misfit~

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:22:59 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Ehhh! I don't feel any better for venting.... As you were. :-/

    Actually, I have another TradeMe bitch about vintage watch traders who
    put crappy photos and lame descriptions in their auction adverts. In
    most cases it's just stupidity and an inexperienced trader who hasn't
    taken the time to look to see what good TradeMe auctions look like. So
    you have to coax information from them and request better photos.

    But with others it's downright deception and hoping bidders will think
    they're getting an amazing bargain from a newbie trader.

    When you ask them about the condition of the watch, or some flaw or
    damage that's evident from the photo/s - but not mentioned in the
    description - the favoured response is a claim that they know nothing
    about watches and/or they're selling the watch on behalf of someone
    else or been given the watch or inherited it from an uncle or
    grandfather, etc. So they really can't answer any questions about the
    watch's condition or whether the case is gold or pot metal or if it
    actually works. They'll also claim that their camera is old or that
    they don't know how to take better photos, but that the watch is
    "really nice."

    There's one guy in particular who keeps advertising the same high-end
    vintage man's wristwatch with a very collectable, sought after model
    with a famous brand name. But if you copy the trader's "enlarged"
    photo and enlarge it even further, you can see definite signs of water
    damage and/or corrosion on the edge of the dial (watch face).

    I asked him about this in an earlier auction and after giving me a
    vague, evasive answer he blacklisted me. The watch was then relisted
    (which deletes my question and his answer) and still hasn't sold
    despite being relisted around six times since then.

    If someone finally does buy the watch they're in for repairs costing
    far more than the asking price (which would be very attractive if the
    watch was in good condition), but there's no way I can ask about the
    condition again because the trader has blacklisted me.

    Donchano, May 2, 2011