    Prices on 'old' computers definitely suggest buyers are hopeful rather
    than desperate to sell and looking at the number that go past without
    bids suggests most people aint that desperate to buy them
    paora, Mar 29, 2005

  2. paora

    Daniel Guest

    paora wrote:

    > Prices on 'old' computers definitely suggest buyers are hopeful rather
    > than desperate to sell and looking at the number that go past without
    > bids suggests most people aint that desperate to buy them

    Leading up to Christmas TradeMe PC prices were a little on the crazy
    side (i.e. very low). Mind you, there was a lot of people selling
    reasonably priced computer stuff - trying to off-set the cost of their
    new Christmas pressy perhaps (??).

    Anyway, yeah - I agree. Since Christmas, it's proving rather difficult
    to find a good deal.

    There's always eBay?
    Daniel, Mar 29, 2005

  3. In <d2ajl6$isk$> Daniel wrote:
    > paora wrote:
    >>
    >> Prices on 'old' computers definitely suggest buyers are hopeful
    >> rather than desperate to sell and looking at the number that go past
    >> without bids suggests most people aint that desperate to buy them

    > Leading up to Christmas TradeMe PC prices were a little on the crazy
    > side (i.e. very low). Mind you, there was a lot of people selling
    > reasonably priced computer stuff - trying to off-set the cost of their
    > new Christmas pressy perhaps (??).
    >
    > Anyway, yeah - I agree. Since Christmas, it's proving rather difficult
    > to find a good deal.
    >
    > There's always eBay?

    I just saw these in the the vintage computer section on Trade Me.
    <http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/show_member_listings.asp?
    member=297691>
    This guy's selling several IBM PS/2 computers. To be fair they look to
    be in good condition and complete with the original IBM monitors, mice
    and keyboards, but the cheapest one, a PS/2 Model 56 from 1992 has a
    reserve of $200 and a buy now price of $300. The Model 90 from 1990 is
    $500/$800.

    OK, these are becoming collectible computers, but the oldest one he has
    is only 15 years old and IBM must have sold millions of them. They're
    hardly rare yet! Included in the description of each computer is "IBM
    Manufactured a Limited Number of these Machines". You could say the same
    thing about _anything_ that's not currently in production.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Mar 29, 2005
  4. paora

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 03:07:49 +0000, paora wrote:

    > You can buy a Benq DVD writer for $150 on trademe and $110 or less at
    > some regular computer stores.

    Cavent emptor. In these days, are not some people idiots, or as Basement
    Jaks said, Where is Your Head at?
    Gordon, Mar 29, 2005
  5. paora

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:56:21 +1200, Daniel wrote:

    > Anyway, yeah - I agree. Since Christmas, it's proving rather difficult
    > to find a good deal.

    So supply is way behind the demand?

    Or is PC stuff too cheap new?
    Gordon, Mar 29, 2005
  6. paora

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 05:03:42 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:

    > OK, these are becoming collectible computers, but the oldest one he has
    > is only 15 years old and IBM must have sold millions of them. They're
    > hardly rare yet!

    Evidence please. Your conclusion jump seems to be huge.

    Take the car, as this nz.comp, how many 15 year old cars are there on the
    roads, of complete off the? Yes millions of them were sold.

    Computer technology has moved very fast in the last ten years.

    Let us hope that someone with real sense has donated his to the local
    museuem.
    Gordon, Mar 29, 2005
  7. In <> Gordon wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 05:03:42 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:
    >
    >> OK, these are becoming collectible computers, but the oldest one he
    >> has is only 15 years old and IBM must have sold millions of them.
    >> They're hardly rare yet!

    > Evidence please. Your conclusion jump seems to be huge.
    >
    > Take the car, as this nz.comp, how many 15 year old cars are there on
    > the roads, of complete off the? Yes millions of them were sold.
    >
    > Computer technology has moved very fast in the last ten years.
    >
    > Let us hope that someone with real sense has donated his to the local
    > museuem.

    I did say they were becoming collectible, and I agree they should be
    saved not just thrown away. I wasn't laughing at the fact that they
    would be worth anything, but at how much the seller thought they were
    worth to a collector.

    As a case in point I have an Apple IIGS computer. It's the original
    256KB "limited edition" version with the Woz (as in Apple cofounder
    Steve Wozniak) signature printed on it. Apple only sold about 50 000 of
    this version. Today they sell for maybe US$10 on eBay because thousands
    of people still have them but only hundreds still want them.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Mar 29, 2005
  8. paora

    A Guest

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 03:07:49 GMT, (paora) wrote:

    >Seems to be more tryhard 'home retailers' on trademe than anything
    >these days, selling goods at 30-50% more than the best
    >http://pricespy.co.nz prices.
    >
    >It's no wonder the inland revenue dept is interested.
    >
    >You can buy a Benq DVD writer for $150 on trademe and $110 or less at
    >some regular computer stores.
    >
    >Prices on 'old' computers definitely suggest buyers are hopeful rather
    >than desperate to sell and looking at the number that go past without
    >bids suggests most people aint that desperate to buy them

    Having said that - which would be better a) buying off a 'home
    retailer' that has a good number of positive feedbacks or b) buying
    off a cheap retailer from pricespy that you don't have any idea what
    their service is like? (supercheap anyone????)
    A, Mar 29, 2005
  9. paora

    paora Guest

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:08:32 +1200, A <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 03:07:49 GMT, (paora) wrote:
    >

    >>Seems to be more tryhard 'home retailers' on trademe than anything
    >>these days, selling goods at 30-50% more than the best
    >>http://pricespy.co.nz prices.
    >>
    >>It's no wonder the inland revenue dept is interested.
    >>
    >>You can buy a Benq DVD writer for $150 on trademe and $110 or less at
    >>some regular computer stores.
    >>
    >>Prices on 'old' computers definitely suggest buyers are hopeful rather
    >>than desperate to sell and looking at the number that go past without
    >>bids suggests most people aint that desperate to buy them

    >Having said that - which would be better a) buying off a 'home
    >retailer' that has a good number of positive feedbacks or b) buying
    >off a cheap retailer from pricespy that you don't have any idea what
    >their service is like? (supercheap anyone????)

    I daresay that if I didn't care about price I would pay more to an
    outfit who is more likely to be around for sometime and not just
    someone who has good trademe feedback. At $105 compared to $150 I'd be
    prepared to gamble on the cheaper deal. Trademe feedback is mostly
    about sending and receiving goods - once you add feedback that your
    transaction went smoothly do you have any opportunity to change that
    feedback if whatever you buy is crap and the trader offers no service
    to fix it?
    paora, Mar 29, 2005
  10. paora

    Invisible Guest

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:19:23 GMT, (paora) wrote:

    >once you add feedback that your
    >transaction went smoothly do you have any opportunity to change that
    >feedback if whatever you buy is crap and the trader offers no service
    >to fix it?

    Yep, there's an 'edit feedback' link.
    Invisible, Mar 29, 2005
  11. paora

    thing Guest

    paora wrote:
    > Seems to be more tryhard 'home retailers' on trademe than anything
    > these days, selling goods at 30-50% more than the best
    > http://pricespy.co.nz prices.
    >
    > It's no wonder the inland revenue dept is interested.
    >
    > You can buy a Benq DVD writer for $150 on trademe and $110 or less at
    > some regular computer stores.
    >
    > Prices on 'old' computers definitely suggest buyers are hopeful rather
    > than desperate to sell and looking at the number that go past without
    > bids suggests most people aint that desperate to buy them

    Ive noticed some prices are way out. Like Model railroad stock, G scale
    $70 each on Trademe plus postage (@$10~$15), and $77 (or less) if
    bought off the local shop....

    Firewire PCI cards, $35 in DSE and $32~$35+ on trademe.

    Macs in particular I also notice hold high reserves. Some reserves are
    75% of a new price with no warantee and only 60~75% of the performance
    of a new one....loony....

    There are some bargins on trademe, use it for what it is good at, know
    your price and walk away if it goes to high...then your better off
    buying new.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Mar 29, 2005
  12. Hi there,

    Roger Johnstone wrote:

    > I just saw these in the the vintage computer section on Trade Me.
    > <http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/show_member_listings.asp?
    > member=297691>
    > This guy's selling several IBM PS/2 computers. To be fair they look to
    > be in good condition and complete with the original IBM monitors, mice
    > and keyboards, but the cheapest one, a PS/2 Model 56 from 1992 has a
    > reserve of $200 and a buy now price of $300. The Model 90 from 1990 is
    > $500/$800.
    >
    > OK, these are becoming collectible computers, but the oldest one he has
    > is only 15 years old and IBM must have sold millions of them. They're
    > hardly rare yet! Included in the description of each computer is "IBM
    > Manufactured a Limited Number of these Machines". You could say the same
    > thing about _anything_ that's not currently in production.

    Some guy on nz.wanted was trying to sell 'new' RAM modules for 75% more
    than new price. He got some well-deserved ribbing...

    Collectibles? Nope. Those IBM's were common as muck in their time. Every
    office in every industry had or wanted them back then.

    I recently sold a more collectible computer...a 1993 vintage Atari
    Falcon030, for $400 to a enthusiast in Australia. Fewer than 100k
    of these were made, and I recall maybe 5 kiwis (myself included) ever
    owning one...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Chris Wilkinson, Mar 30, 2005
  13. paora

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 05:03:42 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:
    >
    >> OK, these are becoming collectible computers, but the oldest one he
    >> has is only 15 years old and IBM must have sold millions of them.
    >> They're hardly rare yet!

    > Evidence please. Your conclusion jump seems to be huge.
    >
    > Take the car, as this nz.comp, how many 15 year old cars are there on
    > the roads, of complete off the? Yes millions of them were sold.

    My car is 22 years old and runs perfectly. The CV joints are just starting
    to make a slight noise but otherwise fine. Mazda 323 hatch.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Mar 30, 2005
  14. paora

    ~misfit~ Guest

    paora wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:08:32 +1200, A <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 03:07:49 GMT, (paora) wrote:
    >>

    >>> Seems to be more tryhard 'home retailers' on trademe than anything
    >>> these days, selling goods at 30-50% more than the best
    >>> http://pricespy.co.nz prices.
    >>>
    >>> It's no wonder the inland revenue dept is interested.
    >>>
    >>> You can buy a Benq DVD writer for $150 on trademe and $110 or less
    >>> at some regular computer stores.
    >>>
    >>> Prices on 'old' computers definitely suggest buyers are hopeful
    >>> rather than desperate to sell and looking at the number that go
    >>> past without bids suggests most people aint that desperate to buy
    >>> them

    >> Having said that - which would be better a) buying off a 'home
    >> retailer' that has a good number of positive feedbacks or b) buying
    >> off a cheap retailer from pricespy that you don't have any idea what
    >> their service is like? (supercheap anyone????)
    >>

    > I daresay that if I didn't care about price I would pay more to an
    > outfit who is more likely to be around for sometime and not just
    > someone who has good trademe feedback. At $105 compared to $150 I'd be
    > prepared to gamble on the cheaper deal. Trademe feedback is mostly
    > about sending and receiving goods - once you add feedback that your
    > transaction went smoothly do you have any opportunity to change that
    > feedback if whatever you buy is crap and the trader offers no service
    > to fix it?

    Yes, you can add to or edit your feedback at any time.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Mar 30, 2005
  15. paora

    S Roby Guest

    >Yes, you can add to or edit your feedback at any time.

    Only once thou. Should be able to edit feedback a few times as
    feedback is the best way to get 'issues' sorted (TradeME cant/wont help)
    S Roby, Mar 30, 2005
  16. paora

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <424a01ba$>,
    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:

    >Collectibles? Nope. Those IBM's were common as muck in their time. Every
    >office in every industry had or wanted them back then.

    Yep. Funny, really. The perceived wisdom is that the PS/2 range (with the
    Micro Channel bus) was a failure but as you point out, IBM sold hundreds of
    thousands of them and made buckets of money in the process. Nowadays the
    only people interested in them are enthusiasts such as myself.

    It's the same story with the IBM "clicky keyboards". Most people hate them,
    and they usually fetch only a few dollars on Trademe if they attract any
    bids at all. But those peope who like them won't part with them or type on
    anything else. I carry one from project to project, and I have enough spares
    stashed away to last the rest of my life.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    -- Microsoft advertisement on the box for Windows 2.11 for 286
    Don Hills, Mar 30, 2005
  17. paora

    paora Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:26:45 +1200, (Don Hills)
    wrote:

    >It's the same story with the IBM "clicky keyboards". Most people hate them,
    >and they usually fetch only a few dollars on Trademe if they attract any
    >bids at all. But those peope who like them won't part with them or type on
    >anything else. I carry one from project to project, and I have enough spares
    >stashed away to last the rest of my life.

    I used to use one of them 'clacky' things - it was retired mainly
    because it was too noisy to use around other people who wanted to
    watch TV or 'conversate'.

    At first I had difficulty adapting to a very 'squishy' Dell keyboard
    but after a little while I did and reverting back to using the old ibm
    clacker is awful. I bought a couple of 2nd hand Compaq keyboards ($12)
    off Trademe which I prefer to any of them including the NEW cheap
    no-name shit I bought from the warehouse stationary.
    paora, Apr 4, 2005