Trademe again....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, May 13, 2011.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I was bidding on an auction. Just a few minutes I got an email from Trademe.
    It is cut'n'pasted below in it's entirety (excepting the Trademe URL):
    ++++++++++
    The following auction has been withdrawn by the seller:

    "Cheap IBM Laptop" (#375449399)

    If you feel the withdrawal of this auction was not justified, you are
    entitled to make a complaint about the member using the contact us page on
    the Trade Me site. The seller's user name is

    Happy trading,

    The Trade Me Team
    ++++++++++

    Do you notice how they say "The seller's user name is "? LOL, no user name.
    I was the top bidder on that auction and am annoyed that it was pulled. Also
    I noticed a long time ago that the long-standing link at the bottom of each
    auction "Report this listing" vanishes if the auction closes, for whatever
    reason. Therefore going to the "Items I lost" list and finding the pulled
    auction doesn't help me a lot either. Grrrr!

    Another issue, they have the facility to report auctions for excessive use
    of, errrr.... Damn! brain-fade, must me the 50th b'day this weekend...
    Excessive use of keywords? You know, the type of thing that ruins searches.
    Some auctions have up to several lines of keywords at the bottom. So, for
    instance, if I'm searching for IBM T60 I might get a Dell D620 (or seven) in
    the results as the seller has put a couple of lines of a bunch of similar
    spec and era machines at the end of the auction.

    I've used Trademe's options to report that but then see that the same seller
    doesn't change their habits in later weeks. I wish that we had a NZ branch
    of ebay. :-(

    Ho hum. Happy Friday the 13th.
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, May 13, 2011

  2. ~misfit~

    Murray Symon Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I was bidding on an auction. Just a few minutes I got an email from
    > Trademe. It is cut'n'pasted below in it's entirety (excepting the Trademe
    > URL): ++++++++++
    > The following auction has been withdrawn by the seller:
    >
    > "Cheap IBM Laptop" (#375449399)
    >
    > If you feel the withdrawal of this auction was not justified, you are
    > entitled to make a complaint about the member using the contact us page on
    > the Trade Me site. The seller's user name is
    >
    > Happy trading,
    >
    > The Trade Me Team
    > ++++++++++
    >
    > Do you notice how they say "The seller's user name is "? LOL, no user
    > name. I was the top bidder on that auction and am annoyed that it was
    > pulled. Also I noticed a long time ago that the long-standing link at the
    > bottom of each auction "Report this listing" vanishes if the auction
    > closes, for whatever reason. Therefore going to the "Items I lost" list
    > and finding the pulled auction doesn't help me a lot either. Grrrr!
    >
    > Another issue, they have the facility to report auctions for excessive use
    > of, errrr.... Damn! brain-fade, must me the 50th b'day this weekend...
    > Excessive use of keywords? You know, the type of thing that ruins
    > searches. Some auctions have up to several lines of keywords at the
    > bottom. So, for instance, if I'm searching for IBM T60 I might get a Dell
    > D620 (or seven) in the results as the seller has put a couple of lines of
    > a bunch of similar spec and era machines at the end of the auction.
    >
    > I've used Trademe's options to report that but then see that the same
    > seller doesn't change their habits in later weeks. I wish that we had a NZ
    > branch of ebay. :-(
    >
    > Ho hum. Happy Friday the 13th.

    You can try Googling for the auction number. Sometimes that will take
    you directly to a closed auction that cannot be reached normally.
    Or Google may have it in their cache.

    Murray Symon, May 13, 2011

  3. In article <iqhsjl$1jm$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >Another issue, they have the facility to report auctions for excessive use
    >of, errrr.... Damn! brain-fade, must me the 50th b'day this weekend...
    >Excessive use of keywords? You know, the type of thing that ruins searches.
    >Some auctions have up to several lines of keywords at the bottom. So, for
    >instance, if I'm searching for IBM T60 I might get a Dell D620 (or seven) in
    >the results as the seller has put a couple of lines of a bunch of similar
    >spec and era machines at the end of the auction.
    >
    >I've used Trademe's options to report that but then see that the same seller
    >doesn't change their habits in later weeks. I wish that we had a NZ branch
    >of ebay. :-(

    Tradme's searches are certainly among the worst. Example ... you can't
    choose a word to exclude. That's easy ... but not done.
    And no real email addresses ? <exit stage left, muttering>

    Bruce Sinclair, May 16, 2011
  4. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    On 16/05/2011 11:28 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article<iqhsjl$1jm$>, "~misfit~"<> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >> Another issue, they have the facility to report auctions for excessive use
    >> of, errrr.... Damn! brain-fade, must me the 50th b'day this weekend...
    >> Excessive use of keywords? You know, the type of thing that ruins searches.
    >> Some auctions have up to several lines of keywords at the bottom. So, for
    >> instance, if I'm searching for IBM T60 I might get a Dell D620 (or seven) in
    >> the results as the seller has put a couple of lines of a bunch of similar
    >> spec and era machines at the end of the auction.
    >>
    >> I've used Trademe's options to report that but then see that the same seller
    >> doesn't change their habits in later weeks. I wish that we had a NZ branch
    >> of ebay. :-(

    > Tradme's searches are certainly among the worst. Example ... you can't
    > choose a word to exclude. That's easy ... but not done.

    Yes you can,

    From the advanced search page.

    Search Tips:

    Use quotes " " to find an exact phrase, e.g. "Bob the Builder"
    Use an asterisk * to search a partial word, e.g. Tea cup* matches
    cup, cups and cupboard
    Use an uppercase OR between two search terms to find either one of
    the terms, e.g. Canon OR Nikon will give you results for either one of
    those brands. You can also use a pipe | to perform this function, e.g.
    Canon | Nikon
    Use an uppercase NOT with two search terms to find the first term
    but ignore the second term, e.g. iPod NOT shuffle will give you results
    for iPods but exclude references to shuffle. You can also use a minus
    sign - immediately before the second term to perform this function, e.g.
    iPod -shuffle
    By default, Trade Me will find variations of search terms, e.g.
    fish will give you results for fish and fishing. Use a plus sign +
    immediately before a search term to find only that exact term, e.g. +fish

    > And no real email addresses ?<exit stage left, muttering>

    Huh? Trademes handing over of email addresses is one thing I hate about
    it compared with ebay which keeps all messaging onsite. Email failures
    are probably about half of the causes of problem trades. The other half
    is dickheads with a trademe account.

    Richard, May 16, 2011
  5. In message <iqqiob$v5v$>, Richard wrote:

    > Trademes handing over of email addresses is one thing I hate about
    > it compared with ebay which keeps all messaging onsite.

    So Trademe doesn’t try to stop buyers and sellers communicating directly,
    bypassing the site? As I recall, Ebay disapproved of that.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 17, 2011
  6. ~misfit~

    Squiggle Guest

    On May 17, 2:52 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <iqqiob$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    > > Trademes handing over of email addresses is one thing I hate about
    > > it compared with ebay which keeps all messaging onsite.

    > So Trademe doesn’t try to stop buyers and sellers communicating directly,
    > bypassing the site? As I recall, Ebay disapproved of that.

    Not once the auction is over, at that stage trademe has taken its
    commision from the the sellers account and wants nothing more to do
    with the trade (unless there is money in it for them (ie the
    safetrader escrow service).

    They also let you put an email address in classified listing since
    they have already taken the fixed fee for that listing.

    So the solution for high volume traders looking to avoid trademe fees
    is to continually have something that will never sell listed as a
    classified so smart buyers can contact them directly.

    As has previously been mentioned in here, if you want trademe to take
    action on a bad listing tick the "Trader is trying to avoid trademe
    fees" option on the community reporting form. For some reason they
    seem to get priority treatment.

    Squiggle, May 17, 2011