    Hotmail addresses seem freely available but a telephone number
    is also required and as I see it the main limiter. So how closely
    do Trademe monitor this kind of thing.

    J.wilson, Dec 22, 2005

  2. J.wilson

    Richard Guest

    J.wilson wrote:
    > Having been duped in a small way by a first time trader I wondered,
    > if it was intententional and not simply a mistake, how many new
    > accounts could be opened and abandoned by a cavalier earner before
    > Trademe caught up with them.
    > Hotmail addresses seem freely available but a telephone number
    > is also required and as I see it the main limiter. So how closely
    > do Trademe monitor this kind of thing.

    They have never called me on my phone number, what pisses me off is they assume
    that people have one. Flatmate doesnt have one, I dont know what he did to get
    reged on there.

    Richard, Dec 22, 2005

  3. Richard wrote:
    > J.wilson wrote:
    >
    >> Having been duped in a small way by a first time trader I wondered,
    >> if it was intententional and not simply a mistake, how many new
    >> accounts could be opened and abandoned by a cavalier earner before
    >> Trademe caught up with them.
    >> Hotmail addresses seem freely available but a telephone number
    >> is also required and as I see it the main limiter. So how closely
    >> do Trademe monitor this kind of thing.

    > They have never called me on my phone number, what pisses me off is they
    > assume that people have one. Flatmate doesnt have one, I dont know what
    > he did to get reged on there.

    Yes, losts of sites require landlines, and I prefer to use my mobile.
    When I leave here, I'm not planning on having a landline at all.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Dec 22, 2005
  4. J.wilson

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:33:34 +1300, "J.wilson"
    <> wrote:

    >Having been duped in a small way by a first time trader I wondered,
    >if it was intententional and not simply a mistake, how many new
    >accounts could be opened and abandoned by a cavalier earner before
    >Trademe caught up with them.
    >Hotmail addresses seem freely available but a telephone number
    >is also required and as I see it the main limiter. So how closely
    >do Trademe monitor this kind of thing.

    if you deal only with financial members and verified address traders
    less chance of fleecing. I had a six month spin and now have over a
    hundred typesof cats, only one guy pissed me round, so I gave him a
    red face and he soon pulled finger.

    Squirrel, Dec 22, 2005
  5. J.wilson

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:10:49 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >J.wilson wrote:
    >> Having been duped in a small way by a first time trader I wondered,
    >> if it was intententional and not simply a mistake, how many new
    >> accounts could be opened and abandoned by a cavalier earner before
    >> Trademe caught up with them.
    >> Hotmail addresses seem freely available but a telephone number
    >> is also required and as I see it the main limiter. So how closely
    >> do Trademe monitor this kind of thing.

    >They have never called me on my phone number, what pisses me off is they assume
    >that people have one. Flatmate doesnt have one, I dont know what he did to get
    >reged on there.

    you can buy off TM with no verification, but some auctions are limited
    to members only, and you have to pass dosh to get verified.

    Squirrel, Dec 22, 2005
  6. In article <>, Squirrel <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:10:49 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>J.wilson wrote:
    >>> Having been duped in a small way by a first time trader I wondered,
    >>> if it was intententional and not simply a mistake, how many new
    >>> accounts could be opened and abandoned by a cavalier earner before
    >>> Trademe caught up with them.
    >>> Hotmail addresses seem freely available but a telephone number
    >>> is also required and as I see it the main limiter. So how closely
    >>> do Trademe monitor this kind of thing.

    >>They have never called me on my phone number, what pisses me off is they

    > assume
    >>that people have one. Flatmate doesnt have one, I dont know what he did to get

    >>reged on there.

    >you can buy off TM with no verification, but some auctions are limited
    >to members only, and you have to pass dosh to get verified.

    Yeah. Why is that ?
    I can understand why you might have to give tradme some dosh if you wanted
    to sell stuff ... but why can't they "verify" you exist for buying
    stuff without the payment of money ?

    Yeah ... I know why really ... they get a pot of cash for nothing (say
    100,000 people at $10 each = a cool mil). :)
    But it's still really stupid :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jan 9, 2006