Trade me

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Krazy Bob, Dec 4, 2005.

  1. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    I have listed an item on trade me, it was sold by reaching reserve.

    I recived an email from the winner asking how would payment and pickup be
    arranged, the item is too big to be mailed or couried.

    I sent a email back (using reply fuction) advising him of the details,
    checked my email 30mins later. recieved an mail error report from xtra,
    saying the DNS entry did not match etc etc. please try again later.

    i tried again, same thing, then i logged into my trade me and tried looking
    to see if the person who won was selling so i could use the ask a question
    function, no luck there.

    then i clicked on the persons feed back, 13 positive feedback. then clicked
    the email link provided and sent him an email again 3rd time it sent and
    nothing was returned, so i wondered what was the problem.

    and as it turned out, the email address supplied when i click reply is
    different (***@exta.co.nz)

    Is this something to be concerned about,
    why am i getting DNS errors, instead of email address does not exist reply.

    TIA
    KB

    Krazy Bob, Dec 4, 2005

  2. Krazy Bob

    EMB Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:

    > and as it turned out, the email address supplied when i click reply is
    > different (***@exta.co.nz)
    >
    > Is this something to be concerned about,
    > why am i getting DNS errors, instead of email address does not exist reply.

    Assuming you mean extra.co.nz - the respone you are getting is correct.
    The domain name is registered and it's DNS is broken.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Dec 4, 2005

  3. Krazy Bob

    Mark Guest

    >I have listed an item on trade me, it was sold by reaching reserve.
    >
    >I recived an email from the winner asking how would payment and pickup be
    >arranged, the item is too big to be mailed or couried.
    >
    >I sent a email back (using reply fuction) advising him of the details,
    >checked my email 30mins later. recieved an mail error report from xtra,
    >saying the DNS entry did not match etc etc. please try again later.
    >
    >i tried again, same thing, then i logged into my trade me and tried looking
    >to see if the person who won was selling so i could use the ask a question
    >function, no luck there.
    >
    >then i clicked on the persons feed back, 13 positive feedback. then clicked
    >the email link provided and sent him an email again 3rd time it sent and
    >nothing was returned, so i wondered what was the problem.
    >
    >and as it turned out, the email address supplied when i click reply is
    >different (***@exta.co.nz)
    >
    >Is this something to be concerned about,
    >why am i getting DNS errors, instead of email address does not exist reply.

    Probably cause the domain name extra.co.nz doesn't exist (or there is
    no dns record for it, hence no mail server to reject it). As opposed
    to a mail server telling you there is no mailbox of that name on their
    server

    Mark, Dec 4, 2005
  4. Mark wrote:

    >>and as it turned out, the email address supplied when i click reply is
    >>different (***@exta.co.nz)
    >>
    >>Is this something to be concerned about,
    >>why am i getting DNS errors, instead of email address does not exist
    >>reply.

    > Probably cause the domain name extra.co.nz doesn't exist (or there is
    > no dns record for it, hence no mail server to reject it). As opposed
    > to a mail server telling you there is no mailbox of that name on their
    > server

    query_datetime: 2005-12-04T17:45:20+13:00
    domain_name: extra.co.nz
    query_status: 200 Active
    domain_dateregistered: 1996-08-28T00:00:00+12:00
    domain_datebilleduntil: 2006-08-17T00:00:00+12:00
    domain_datelastmodified: 2005-08-17T00:15:00+12:00
    domain_delegaterequested: yes
    %
    registrar_name: ICONZ
    registrar_address1: Private Bag 92 142
    registrar_address2: Wellesley Street
    registrar_city: Auckland
    registrar_postalcode: 1001
    registrar_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
    registrar_phone: +64 9 977-3500
    registrar_fax: +64 9 977-3535
    registrar_email:
    %
    registrant_contact_name: New Zealand City Ltd
    registrant_contact_address1: PO Box 44126
    registrant_contact_city: LOWER HUTT
    registrant_contact_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
    registrant_contact_phone: +64 4 5609100
    registrant_contact_fax: +64 4 5609130
    registrant_contact_email:
    %
    admin_contact_name: DNS Manager
    admin_contact_address1: PO Box 44126
    admin_contact_city: LOWER HUTT
    admin_contact_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
    admin_contact_phone: +64 4 5609100
    admin_contact_fax: +64 4 5609130
    admin_contact_email:
    %
    technical_contact_name: DNS Manager
    technical_contact_address1: PO Box 44126
    technical_contact_address2: Lower Hutt
    technical_contact_phone: +64 4 5609100
    technical_contact_email:
    %
    ns_name_01: ns1.melco.co.nz
    ns_ip4_01: 202.36.76.3
    ns_name_02: ns2.melco.co.nz
    ns_ip4_02: 202.36.76.12
    %

    --
    Don't become so open-minded that your brains fall out.

    David A' Rebel, Dec 4, 2005
  5. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Krazy Bob wrote:
    >
    >> and as it turned out, the email address supplied when i click reply is
    >> different (***@exta.co.nz)
    >>
    >> Is this something to be concerned about,
    >> why am i getting DNS errors, instead of email address does not exist
    >> reply.

    > Assuming you mean extra.co.nz - the respone you are getting is correct.
    > The domain name is registered and it's DNS is broken.

    yea thats it...oh ok, when do you think its dns will be fixed?

    KB
    cheers

    Krazy Bob, Dec 4, 2005
  6. Krazy Bob

    J.wilson Guest

    try using ***@xtra.co.nz

    J.wilson, Dec 4, 2005
  7. Krazy Bob

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 18:30:09 +1300, "J.wilson"
    <> wrote:

    >"Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I have listed an item on trade me, it was sold by reaching reserve.
    >>
    >> I recived an email from the winner asking how would payment and pickup be
    >> arranged, the item is too big to be mailed or couried.
    >>
    >> I sent a email back (using reply fuction) advising him of the details,
    >> checked my email 30mins later. recieved an mail error report from xtra,
    >> saying the DNS entry did not match etc etc. please try again later.
    >>
    >> i tried again, same thing, then i logged into my trade me and tried
    >> looking to see if the person who won was selling so i could use the ask a
    >> question function, no luck there.
    >>
    >> then i clicked on the persons feed back, 13 positive feedback. then
    >> clicked the email link provided and sent him an email again 3rd time it
    >> sent and nothing was returned, so i wondered what was the problem.
    >>
    >> and as it turned out, the email address supplied when i click reply is
    >> different (***@exta.co.nz)
    >>
    >> Is this something to be concerned about,
    >> why am i getting DNS errors, instead of email address does not exist
    >> reply.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> KB

    >try using ***@xtra.co.nz

    Given that the return address is typed in by the user who sets up the
    email account, looks like a PEBKAC error :)

    Bret, Dec 4, 2005
  8. Krazy Bob

    Enkidu Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Krazy Bob wrote:
    >>

    >>>and as it turned out, the email address supplied when i click reply is
    >>>different (***@exta.co.nz)
    >>>
    >>>Is this something to be concerned about,
    >>>why am i getting DNS errors, instead of email address does not exist
    >>>reply.

    >>Assuming you mean extra.co.nz - the respone you are getting is correct.
    >>The domain name is registered and it's DNS is broken.

    > yea thats it...oh ok, when do you think its dns will be fixed?

    The email address as supplied in the email was incorrect. Presumably he
    has obfuscated it for some reason.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 4, 2005