    addresses. At least, this would be a little bit more indicative of the
    true number of people who checked out the auction (but, i know not exact due
    to dynamic ip allocation).
    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 23, 2006

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:09:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    <> exclaimed:

    >I just noticed, when viewing a trade me auction the 'page views' counter at
    >the end of the page increments by 1 each time F5 is pressed.
    >
    >To me, that is not a true indication of page views since really I have only
    >viewed the auction once but pressing f5 10 times (in quick succession)
    >increments the counter by 10.
    >
    >I'd like to see a counter which lists 'unique' visits from different IP
    >addresses. At least, this would be a little bit more indicative of the
    >true number of people who checked out the auction (but, i know not exact due
    >to dynamic ip allocation).

    But then if, say 5 different people from within one large organisation
    viewed the auction, it would only count as one.

    A far better method would be to set a persistent cookie, use that to
    track the auctions viewed, and only count a visit to each item once.
    Not foolproof, as you have no control over a client's machine and
    whether they have cookies enabled, but probably close enough.

    However, then those that don't know any better would complain about
    Trade Me "spying" on them...
    Fred Dagg, Mar 23, 2006

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 23, 2006
  4. "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:09:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    > <> exclaimed:
    >
    >>I just noticed, when viewing a trade me auction the 'page views' counter
    >>at
    >>the end of the page increments by 1 each time F5 is pressed.
    >>
    >>To me, that is not a true indication of page views since really I have
    >>only
    >>viewed the auction once but pressing f5 10 times (in quick succession)
    >>increments the counter by 10.
    >>
    >>I'd like to see a counter which lists 'unique' visits from different IP
    >>addresses. At least, this would be a little bit more indicative of the
    >>true number of people who checked out the auction (but, i know not exact
    >>due
    >>to dynamic ip allocation).

    > But then if, say 5 different people from within one large organisation
    > viewed the auction, it would only count as one.
    >
    > A far better method would be to set a persistent cookie, use that to
    > track the auctions viewed, and only count a visit to each item once.
    > Not foolproof, as you have no control over a client's machine and
    > whether they have cookies enabled, but probably close enough.
    >
    > However, then those that don't know any better would complain about
    > Trade Me "spying" on them...

    Yes, that would be even better. I guess, I was assuming that 2 people within
    the same organisation are not that likely to view the same auction. And, if
    they did, then it would be because they sit next to each other and that
    should count as '1'.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 23, 2006
  5. news.xtra.co.nz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Fred Dagg <> wrote in

    > A far better method would be to set a persistent cookie, use that to
    > track the auctions viewed, and only count a visit to each item once.
    > Not foolproof, as you have no control over a client's machine and
    > whether they have cookies enabled, but probably close enough.

    Isn't this the "standard"?
    I find it strange that it is not done that way on that web site.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 23, 2006
  6. news.xtra.co.nz

    mark Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in

    >> A far better method would be to set a persistent cookie, use that to
    >> track the auctions viewed, and only count a visit to each item once.
    >> Not foolproof, as you have no control over a client's machine and
    >> whether they have cookies enabled, but probably close enough.
    >>
    >> However, then those that don't know any better would complain about
    >> Trade Me "spying" on them...

    > Yes, that would be even better. I guess, I was assuming that 2 people
    > within the same organisation are not that likely to view the same
    > auction. And, if they did, then it would be because they sit next to
    > each other and that should count as '1'.

    Unless your workplace has several thousand employees :)
    mark, Mar 23, 2006
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 23 Mar 2006 22:11:42 +1200, Dave Taylor
    <> exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg <> wrote in
    >
    >> A far better method would be to set a persistent cookie, use that to
    >> track the auctions viewed, and only count a visit to each item once.
    >> Not foolproof, as you have no control over a client's machine and
    >> whether they have cookies enabled, but probably close enough.
    >>

    >Isn't this the "standard"?
    >I find it strange that it is not done that way on that web site.

    Yup, I would think it would be the most logical.

    I guess it makes their site look busier, and sellers happier, if it
    appears that more people have viewed each auction.
    Fred Dagg, Mar 23, 2006
  8. news.xtra.co.nz

    A Guest

    On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 06:16:57 +1200, Fred Dagg <>
    wrote:

    >On 23 Mar 2006 22:11:42 +1200, Dave Taylor
    ><> exclaimed:
    >
    >>Fred Dagg <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> A far better method would be to set a persistent cookie, use that to
    >>> track the auctions viewed, and only count a visit to each item once.
    >>> Not foolproof, as you have no control over a client's machine and
    >>> whether they have cookies enabled, but probably close enough.
    >>>

    >>Isn't this the "standard"?
    >>I find it strange that it is not done that way on that web site.

    >Yup, I would think it would be the most logical.
    >
    >I guess it makes their site look busier, and sellers happier, if it
    >appears that more people have viewed each auction.

    But a potential buyer that views the auction multiple times is
    obviously more interested in the auction than someone who just views
    it once hence even repeat viewings should be counted.

    I would think that someone who views an auction a number of times is
    more likely to bid than someone who views it once - hence if an
    auction has a high view count then there's a higher chance of more
    bidding regardless of the actual number of distinct viewers.

    There will always be the exceptions which no doubt somebody will point
    out (e.g. the auction where the one bidder checks on his status every
    15 minutes or where the seller checks it 4 times/hour thus distorting
    the views).
    A, Mar 23, 2006
  9. news.xtra.co.nz

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:09:46 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    > <> exclaimed:
    >
    >> I just noticed, when viewing a trade me auction the 'page views' counter at
    >> the end of the page increments by 1 each time F5 is pressed.
    >>
    >> To me, that is not a true indication of page views since really I have only
    >> viewed the auction once but pressing f5 10 times (in quick succession)
    >> increments the counter by 10.
    >>
    >> I'd like to see a counter which lists 'unique' visits from different IP
    >> addresses. At least, this would be a little bit more indicative of the
    >> true number of people who checked out the auction (but, i know not exact due
    >> to dynamic ip allocation).

    > But then if, say 5 different people from within one large organisation
    > viewed the auction, it would only count as one.
    >
    > A far better method would be to set a persistent cookie, use that to
    > track the auctions viewed, and only count a visit to each item once.
    > Not foolproof, as you have no control over a client's machine and
    > whether they have cookies enabled, but probably close enough.
    >
    > However, then those that don't know any better would complain about
    > Trade Me "spying" on them...

    But what if those 5 people each pressed F5 10 times and those 5 people
    new 5 people ....
    Chris Mayhew, Mar 24, 2006
  10. news.xtra.co.nz

    *K* Guest

    hehe, oldest trick in the book Im afraid....... any auction i run I
    always log on near closing time and do exactly that, press refresh as
    many times as i can so the poor suckers who are waiting to bid at the
    last second think there are 40 others waiting to do the same so they
    bid way beyond what they were going to (or should) works a treat!
    ........sorry sorry, trademe will shoot me for this Im sure... NOT!

    *K*, Mar 25, 2006
  11. news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > I just noticed, when viewing a trade me auction the 'page views' counter at
    > the end of the page increments by 1 each time F5 is pressed.
    >
    > To me, that is not a true indication of page views since really I have only
    > viewed the auction once but pressing f5 10 times (in quick succession)
    > increments the counter by 10.
    >
    > I'd like to see a counter which lists 'unique' visits from different IP
    > addresses. At least, this would be a little bit more indicative of the
    > true number of people who checked out the auction (but, i know not exact due
    > to dynamic ip allocation).

    that would require the web site to store a list of IP addresses for each
    auction.

    when you have as much traffic and as many auctions as trademe, you'd be
    talking gigs and gigs more space used in the database, and much more
    work to display an auction each time it was viewed.

    simply incrementing a counter is much easier.

    Rimu Atkinson, Mar 27, 2006
  12. news.xtra.co.nz

    Vista Guest

    "Rimu Atkinson" <> wrote in message
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >> I just noticed, when viewing a trade me auction the 'page views' counter
    >> at the end of the page increments by 1 each time F5 is pressed.
    >>
    >> To me, that is not a true indication of page views since really I have
    >> only viewed the auction once but pressing f5 10 times (in quick
    >> succession) increments the counter by 10.
    >>
    >> I'd like to see a counter which lists 'unique' visits from different IP
    >> addresses. At least, this would be a little bit more indicative of the
    >> true number of people who checked out the auction (but, i know not exact
    >> due to dynamic ip allocation).
    >>

    > that would require the web site to store a list of IP addresses for each
    > auction.
    >
    > when you have as much traffic and as many auctions as trademe, you'd be
    > talking gigs and gigs more space used in the database, and much more work
    > to display an auction each time it was viewed.
    >
    > simply incrementing a counter is much easier.

    COuldn't they do it with installing a cookie on the users computer?
    Vista, Mar 28, 2006
  13. >
    > COuldn't they do it with installing a cookie on the users computer?

    store a list of all auctions the user has ever visited in a cookie?
    remembering that a cookie is sent and received each time a user visits
    each page of the site

    again, that'd be gigs and gigs of extra bandwidth to pay for

    Rimu Atkinson, Mar 28, 2006
  14. On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:54:32 +1200, Rimu Atkinson wrote:

    > store a list of all auctions the user has ever visited in a cookie?
    > remembering that a cookie is sent and received each time a user visits
    > each page of the site

    Don't they already use a cookie for authentication?

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Mar 28, 2006