    We apologise for the inconvenience. We'll have the site back up and
    running soon."

    I bet there's lots of scrurrying around at Trade Me HQ.
    Keith, Aug 24, 2009

  2. Keith

    Keith Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > "Trade Me is currently out of action.
    >
    > We apologise for the inconvenience. We'll have the site back up and
    > running soon."
    >
    > I bet there's lots of scrurrying around at Trade Me HQ.

    And at 2245
    "Trade Me is currently out of action.

    We are currently battling with some significant hardware problems. We
    have a large team working as hard as possible to get things back up and
    running.

    At this stage we are targeting to have things back up and running by
    12:00am and will post updates here as we have information of relevance
    or a better understanding of when things will be back.

    All auctions due to expire during this time will be extended by 24
    hours.

    We are truly sorry for this outage."
    Keith, Aug 24, 2009

  3. Keith

    EMB Guest

    Bobs wrote:

    > You don't see that too often these days (for a major website)
    >
    > Wonder what the problem is.

    It smells of something like a SAN muttering "I'm just going outside and
    may be some time".
    EMB, Aug 24, 2009
  4. Keith

    Carnations Guest

    On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:05:31 +1200, Bobs wrote:

    > Wonder what the problem is.

    Probably a piece of infrastructure such as the core switch stack, or a load balancer, or the database
    server.

    Carnations, Aug 24, 2009
  5. Keith

    EMB Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:05:31 +1200, Bobs wrote:
    >
    >> Wonder what the problem is.

    > Probably a piece of infrastructure such as the core switch stack, or a load balancer, or the database
    > server.

    I'd be very surprised if those sort of items weren't in fault tolerant
    clusters.
    EMB, Aug 24, 2009
  6. Keith

    Carnations Guest

    On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 07:20:51 +1200, EMB wrote:

    > I'd be very surprised if those sort of items weren't in fault tolerant
    > clusters.

    Yes, me too. But the question is *who* maintains their it infrastructure? I suspect that they themselves
    do so. As far as I am aware their gear is not under change control.

    Carnations, Aug 25, 2009
  7. Keith

    Murray Symon Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 07:20:51 +1200, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> I'd be very surprised if those sort of items weren't in fault tolerant
    >> clusters.

    > Yes, me too. But the question is *who* maintains their it infrastructure?
    > I suspect that they themselves do so. As far as I am aware their gear is
    > not under change control.

    Do you have first-hand information, perchance?
    Murray Symon, Aug 25, 2009
  8. Keith

    Carnations Guest

    On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 19:39:14 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:

    > Carnations wrote:
    >> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:05:31 +1200, Bobs wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wonder what the problem is.

    >> Probably a piece of infrastructure such as the core switch stack, or a
    >> load balancer, or the database server.

    > Carnations wrote:
    >> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 07:20:51 +1200, EMB wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'd be very surprised if those sort of items weren't in fault tolerant
    >>> clusters.

    >> Yes, me too. But the question is *who* maintains their it
    >> infrastructure? I suspect that they themselves do so. As far as I am
    >> aware their gear is not under change control.

    > Do you have first-hand information, perchance?

    No.

    But I know where their servers are hosted and I have been led to believe that they are not under any
    sort of change control other than what is used by that company to manage physical access or
    management of the physical support infrastructure such as power, rack space, network patching etc
    provided by that hosting company).

    As I said, the big question is who maintains those servers given that there was, according to the news
    paper, a change implemented over the weekend that caused their server to become unstable.

    If there was any such a thing in this instance I'd love to read the incident report.

    Carnations, Aug 25, 2009