Trade Me and spyware?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by emule, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. emule

    emule Guest

    For the past two weeks I've been inundated with spyware and adware,
    even a few viruses on my computer, and I'm getting more and more spam.
    I clean out my computer with spybot and it's there again the next day.
    I'm running Windows XP with an Xtra DSL connection, with AVG for
    antivirus.

    The weird thing is, last night I cleaned out my computer so spybot says
    it a-ok. Then I open up Firefox to my homepage, Google.

    Rescan, and it's still fine.

    I click on trademe.co.nz (using the button which brings up recent
    address on the address bar).

    Rescan. Suddenly I've got 19 robots.

    What gives? Surely these aren't coming from Trademe or everyone would
    be complaining. Is there something on my computer that Spybot's
    missing?

    Getting a little paranoid. Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated.

    cheers
    emule

    emule, Oct 27, 2005

  2. emule

    Fran Guest

    emule wrote:

    > For the past two weeks I've been inundated with spyware and adware,
    > even a few viruses on my computer, and I'm getting more and more spam.
    > I clean out my computer with spybot and it's there again the next day.
    > I'm running Windows XP with an Xtra DSL connection, with AVG for
    > antivirus.
    >
    > The weird thing is, last night I cleaned out my computer so spybot says
    > it a-ok. Then I open up Firefox to my homepage, Google.
    >
    > Rescan, and it's still fine.
    >
    > I click on trademe.co.nz (using the button which brings up recent
    > address on the address bar).
    >
    > Rescan. Suddenly I've got 19 robots.
    >
    > What gives? Surely these aren't coming from Trademe or everyone would
    > be complaining. Is there something on my computer that Spybot's
    > missing?
    >
    > Getting a little paranoid. Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > cheers
    > emule

    Robots?
    Is that Spybot's actual wording?

    Fran
    :):):)

    Fran, Oct 27, 2005

  3. emule wrote:
    > Rescan. Suddenly I've got 19 robots.

    No, you likely have cookies from ad providers on Trademe. Totally
    harmless and nothing to worry about. I don't even know why Spybot etc
    bothers checking for them.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 27, 2005
  4. emule

    Not Dave Guest

    On 26 Oct 2005 21:09:33 -0700, "emule" <> growled
    these words from under a rock:

    >For the past two weeks I've been inundated with spyware and adware,
    >even a few viruses on my computer, and I'm getting more and more spam.
    >I clean out my computer with spybot and it's there again the next day.
    >I'm running Windows XP with an Xtra DSL connection, with AVG for
    >antivirus.
    >
    >The weird thing is, last night I cleaned out my computer so spybot says
    >it a-ok. Then I open up Firefox to my homepage, Google.
    >
    >Rescan, and it's still fine.
    >
    >I click on trademe.co.nz (using the button which brings up recent
    >address on the address bar).
    >
    >Rescan. Suddenly I've got 19 robots.
    >
    >What gives? Surely these aren't coming from Trademe or everyone would
    >be complaining. Is there something on my computer that Spybot's
    >missing?
    >
    >Getting a little paranoid. Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >cheers
    >emule

    You'll have a dropper.

    Spybot and Adaware miss a heck of a lot of spyware, and usually only
    cleans the infection and misses the dropper.

    Not Dave, Oct 27, 2005
  5. emule

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > For the past two weeks I've been inundated with spyware and adware,
    > even a few viruses on my computer, and I'm getting more and more spam.
    > I clean out my computer with spybot and it's there again the next day.
    > I'm running Windows XP with an Xtra DSL connection, with AVG for
    > antivirus.
    >
    > The weird thing is, last night I cleaned out my computer so spybot says
    > it a-ok. Then I open up Firefox to my homepage, Google.
    >
    > Rescan, and it's still fine.
    >
    > I click on trademe.co.nz (using the button which brings up recent
    > address on the address bar).
    >
    > Rescan. Suddenly I've got 19 robots.
    >
    > What gives? Surely these aren't coming from Trademe or everyone would
    > be complaining. Is there something on my computer that Spybot's
    > missing?
    >
    > Getting a little paranoid. Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated.

    Spywareblaster

    Spybot
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

    Ad-Aware

    Microsoft Antispyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/

    and of course:
    Windows Update

    Don't settle for AVG alone - if you've found infections, cross check by
    running the Nortons/Symantec online checker - if it finds anything, get
    another freebie onboard and run that - I'd suggest:
    Anti-Vir
    http://www.free-av.com/

    The online, Symantec link is:
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/home_homeoffice/index_virus.html?
    src=hho_us

    Still got probs? - you should probably flatten and re-install if you
    can't get it sorted.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 27, 2005
  6. emule

    emule Guest

    Thanks guys.

    It wasn't cookies, it was real bits of spyware and adware being
    installed on my computer.

    I did a re-install and it seems to be fine now. I'm guessing it was
    something spybot wasn't picking up.

    Mystery solved...er, stopped at least.

    cheers
    emule