    offerings. And any other suggestions.

    Regards

    J.
    Justin, Nov 9, 2005

  2. Justin

    ofn01 Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > Who here thinks that Trade Me's fees are starting to look excessive ?
    >
    > Looking around via Google gives me lot's of alternatives that look like
    > TM clones or people forking out the $USD9.95 of one of the many prebuilt
    > Auction sites.
    >
    > So I am thinking should I write one myself that is all about Buyers and
    > Sellers? No Oldfriends or Forums etc.!
    >
    > If so what would the community want to see in a Kiwi Auction site ?

    I can imagine it would be along the lines of "low fees", "high
    security", "fast website", "good mediation and support".

    So you have to have expensive hardware, well written software, make sure
    that it is all safe and secure (maybe purchase some decent digital
    certificates) and then hire lots of people to run all that and also
    provide good support & mediation.

    Oh, and then charge a really low fee for each sale.
    ofn01, Nov 9, 2005

  3. Justin

    steve Guest

    Justin wrote:

    > Who here thinks that Trade Me's fees are starting to look excessive ?

    Depends on what you are selling. I have found the $3.95 package (feature,
    Gallery, etc....) gets good results.

    I might pay that . but sell the item in 2-3 days for $85...with virtually no
    effort on my part.

    That's worth money.

    > Looking around via Google gives me lot's of alternatives that look like
    > TM clones or people forking out the $USD9.95 of one of the many prebuilt
    > Auction sites.

    But how many Kiwis use those? TradeMe has a big, local following.

    > So I am thinking should I write one myself that is all about Buyers and
    > Sellers? No Oldfriends or Forums etc.!

    Go for it. :)

    steve, Nov 9, 2005
  4. Justin

    Chris Hope Guest

    ofn01 wrote:

    > Justin wrote:
    >> Who here thinks that Trade Me's fees are starting to look excessive ?
    >>
    >> Looking around via Google gives me lot's of alternatives that look
    >> like TM clones or people forking out the $USD9.95 of one of the many
    >> prebuilt Auction sites.
    >>
    >> So I am thinking should I write one myself that is all about Buyers
    >> and Sellers? No Oldfriends or Forums etc.!
    >>
    >> If so what would the community want to see in a Kiwi Auction site ?

    > I can imagine it would be along the lines of "low fees", "high
    > security", "fast website", "good mediation and support".
    >
    > So you have to have expensive hardware, well written software, make
    > sure that it is all safe and secure (maybe purchase some decent
    > digital certificates) and then hire lots of people to run all that and
    > also provide good support & mediation.
    >
    > Oh, and then charge a really low fee for each sale.

    And get large numbers of buyers to the site to make it worthwhile for
    the sellers.

    Chris Hope, Nov 9, 2005
  5. Justin

    Max Guest

    "Justin" <4free.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Who here thinks that Trade Me's fees are starting to look excessive ?
    >
    > Looking around via Google gives me lot's of alternatives that look like
    > TM clones or people forking out the $USD9.95 of one of the many prebuilt
    > Auction sites.
    >
    > So I am thinking should I write one myself that is all about Buyers and
    > Sellers? No Oldfriends or Forums etc.!
    >
    > If so what would the community want to see in a Kiwi Auction site ?
    >
    > Feel free to say what you find good or bad about any of the current
    > offerings. And any other suggestions.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > J.

    Go for it. You will never know if it will succeed if you don't try, but you
    will need a very good business plan. Sounds like a bit of a pipe dream on
    your part and doesn't soundlike you have put too much thought into it yet.
    It is going to become a very competitive market, especially when the telecom
    one launches, which will mainly concentrate on new goods.. There are already
    quite a few smaller NZ ones out there, and simply they can't compete with
    trademe due to the exposure trade me get.
    Max, Nov 10, 2005
  6. Justin

    hugh Guest

    hugh, Nov 10, 2005
  7. Justin

    EMB Guest

    hugh wrote:
    > coming soon...http://www.ferrit.co.nz/ ... Telecom's Trademe clone

    You've bought that line have you? Telecom have stated that it ain't an
    auction site, more a virtual mall and isn't going to be a Trademe
    competitor. One of the developers doing the work on the site echoes
    those comments too.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 10, 2005
  8. "hugh" <> wrote in message
    > coming soon...http://www.ferrit.co.nz/ ... Telecom's Trademe clone
    > Just dont type www.ferrit.com!!

    of course I had to type ferrit.com - ha ha what losers telecom are.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 10, 2005
  9. Justin

    Chris Hope Guest

    hugh wrote:

    > coming soon...http://www.ferrit.co.nz/ ... Telecom's Trademe clone
    > Just dont type www.ferrit.com!!

    As far as I understand from actually talking to them a couple of times
    it's just a site for listing / search for products with direct links
    through to the associated ecommerce site. I'm going to be listing at
    least a couple of sites with them - they read an xml feed to update
    their database. There is a stage 2 plan to have some sort of shopping
    cart facility but this is all for buying retail products, rather than
    stuff from any Joe Public which is obviously what TradeMe is.

    There is another comptetitor to TradeMe which was launched relatively
    recently at www.zillion.co.nz but the problem with setting up any
    auction site is it's very chicken and egg. You need sellers to get
    buyers and you need buyers to get sellers. Given that TradeMe is /the/
    place to go you are far better to sell there as it will get more
    eyeballs (and potentially more bids) than a newcomer website. Zillion
    really ought to do a lot more marketing if they want to succeed.

    Chris Hope, Nov 10, 2005
  10. Justin

    Invisible Guest

    Also www.tradermania.co.nz have been doing some TV advertising.
    Invisible, Nov 10, 2005
  11. Justin

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:43:43 +1300, EMB wrote:

    > hugh wrote:
    >> coming soon...http://www.ferrit.co.nz/ ... Telecom's Trademe clone

    > You've bought that line have you? Telecom have stated that it ain't an
    > auction site, more a virtual mall and isn't going to be a Trademe
    > competitor. One of the developers doing the work on the site echoes
    > those comments too.

    Theres one doing a lot of advertising round these parts, .. so good I
    forget the name offhand :)
    Its inevitable with trademes success that there will be other people
    trying to cash in
    Google gave me these
    http://www.ubid.com/
    http://www.auctioncity.co.nz/about.asp

    and Im still buggered if I can remember the ones on the signs round here :\
    Its driving me nuts, so much I think I will jump in the car later :)

    Shane, Nov 10, 2005
  12. Justin

    Chris Hope Guest

    Invisible wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:46:35 +1300, Chris Hope
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>There is another comptetitor to TradeMe which was launched relatively
    >>recently at www.zillion.co.nz but the problem with setting up any
    >>auction site is it's very chicken and egg. You need sellers to get
    >>buyers and you need buyers to get sellers. Given that TradeMe is /the/
    >>place to go you are far better to sell there as it will get more
    >>eyeballs (and potentially more bids) than a newcomer website. Zillion
    >>really ought to do a lot more marketing if they want to succeed.

    > Also www.tradermania.co.nz have been doing some TV advertising.

    TV advertising for websites like this can be a waste of money - I saw
    their ads on TV and then when I went to look at the site later in the
    day I couldn't remember what the address was.

    Better to spend it on online advertising so you get people while they're
    already online. I know a wee bit about this myself, as I do a lot of
    work on www.finda.co.nz which is yet another classifieds and business
    directory listing website.

    Chris Hope, Nov 10, 2005
  13. Justin

    Chris Hope Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:43:43 +1300, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> hugh wrote:
    >>> coming soon...http://www.ferrit.co.nz/ ... Telecom's Trademe clone

    >> You've bought that line have you? Telecom have stated that it ain't
    >> an auction site, more a virtual mall and isn't going to be a Trademe
    >> competitor. One of the developers doing the work on the site echoes
    >> those comments too.

    > Theres one doing a lot of advertising round these parts, .. so good I
    > forget the name offhand :)
    > Its inevitable with trademes success that there will be other people
    > trying to cash in
    > Google gave me these
    > http://www.ubid.com/
    > http://www.auctioncity.co.nz/about.asp
    >
    > and Im still buggered if I can remember the ones on the signs round
    > here :\ Its driving me nuts, so much I think I will jump in the car
    > later :)

    Yes, exactly my point my other post - offline marketing is no use if
    people aren't going to remember what the website address or name is.

    Chris Hope, Nov 10, 2005
  14. Justin

    Max Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:43:43 +1300, EMB wrote:
    >
    > > hugh wrote:
    > >> coming soon...http://www.ferrit.co.nz/ ... Telecom's Trademe clone

    > > You've bought that line have you? Telecom have stated that it ain't an
    > > auction site, more a virtual mall and isn't going to be a Trademe
    > > competitor. One of the developers doing the work on the site echoes
    > > those comments too.

    > Theres one doing a lot of advertising round these parts, .. so good I
    > forget the name offhand :)
    > Its inevitable with trademes success that there will be other people
    > trying to cash in
    > Google gave me these
    > http://www.ubid.com/
    > http://www.auctioncity.co.nz/about.asp
    >
    > and Im still buggered if I can remember the ones on the signs round here

    :\
    > Its driving me nuts, so much I think I will jump in the car later :)
    >
    > --
    > Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked
    >
    > The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.

    Theres one that sometimes advertises on tv. I think it is bid4it or bitforit
    Max, Nov 10, 2005
  15. Justin wrote:
    > Who here thinks that Trade Me's fees are starting to look excessive ?
    >
    > Looking around via Google gives me lot's of alternatives that look like
    > TM clones or people forking out the $USD9.95 of one of the many prebuilt
    > Auction sites.
    >
    > So I am thinking should I write one myself that is all about Buyers and
    > Sellers? No Oldfriends or Forums etc.!
    >
    > If so what would the community want to see in a Kiwi Auction site ?
    >
    > Feel free to say what you find good or bad about any of the current
    > offerings. And any other suggestions.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > J.

    I don't know about their charging policies, but http://graysonline.co.nz/
    appear to be good especially for capital plant.
    Mark Robinson, Nov 10, 2005
  16. On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 00:27:18 +1300, Justin

    Have you looked at zillion.co.nz ?

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand
    Kristofer Clayton, Nov 10, 2005
  17. Justin

    Fran Guest

    Fran, Nov 10, 2005
  18. Justin

    tiddlywink Guest

    > If so what would the community want to see in a Kiwi Auction site ?
    >
    > Feel free to say what you find good or bad about any of the current
    > offerings. And any other suggestions.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > J.

    Being able to post "wanted to buys"
    tiddlywink, Nov 10, 2005
  19. Justin

    Andrew Guest

    tiddlywink wrote:
    >> If so what would the community want to see in a Kiwi Auction site ?
    >>
    >> Feel free to say what you find good or bad about any of the current
    >> offerings. And any other suggestions.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> J.

    > Being able to post "wanted to buys"

    Yea, my wife always tells me there should be a wanted to buy section on
    trademe
    Andrew, Nov 10, 2005
  20. "Max" <> wrote in message

    > "Justin" <4free.co.nz> wrote in message
    > > Who here thinks that Trade Me's fees are starting to look excessive ?
    > >
    > > Looking around via Google gives me lot's of alternatives that look like
    > > TM clones or people forking out the $USD9.95 of one of the many prebuilt
    > > Auction sites.
    > >
    > > So I am thinking should I write one myself that is all about Buyers and
    > > Sellers? No Oldfriends or Forums etc.!
    > >
    > > If so what would the community want to see in a Kiwi Auction site ?
    > >
    > > Feel free to say what you find good or bad about any of the current
    > > offerings. And any other suggestions.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > J.

    > Go for it. You will never know if it will succeed if you don't try, but

    you
    > will need a very good business plan. Sounds like a bit of a pipe dream on
    > your part and doesn't soundlike you have put too much thought into it yet.
    > It is going to become a very competitive market, especially when the

    telecom
    > one launches, which will mainly concentrate on new goods.. There are

    already
    > quite a few smaller NZ ones out there, and simply they can't compete with
    > trademe due to the exposure trade me get.

    Why not set up in opposition to google...there is a hell of a lot of stuff
    I'm not interested in on there. Damn who needs 10 million pages about
    sparrow. Away you go, I've given you a great idea.

    Actually, I wouldn't give up your day job on the Trademe Idea.

    baggly grimmel, Nov 10, 2005