Trade in Windows OEM stickers?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by SchoolTech, Mar 9, 2005.

  1. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    From time to time we buy (very cheaply of course) brand named machines
    from various suppliers mostly on Trademe

    There is one thing these have in common and that is the Windows OEM
    sticker has been peeled/torn off the case with varying degrees of
    success.

    It seems clear that these stickers are not meant to be removed off the
    cases in accordance with MS's OEM license agreement which states that the
    license goes with the machine the software was first installed on.

    There must be some sort of back door trade in these stickers for going
    onto other machines even though they are clearly damaged.

    SchoolTech, Mar 9, 2005

  2. SchoolTech

    DoggNZ Guest

    DoggNZ, Mar 9, 2005

  3. SchoolTech

    Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:07:46 +1300, SchoolTech
    <> wrote:

    >From time to time we buy (very cheaply of course) brand named machines
    >from various suppliers mostly on Trademe
    >
    >There is one thing these have in common and that is the Windows OEM
    >sticker has been peeled/torn off the case with varying degrees of
    >success.
    >
    >It seems clear that these stickers are not meant to be removed off the
    >cases in accordance with MS's OEM license agreement which states that the
    >license goes with the machine the software was first installed on.
    >
    >There must be some sort of back door trade in these stickers for going
    >onto other machines even though they are clearly damaged.

    When I was working at a girls high school the admin told me the girls
    pick the stickers off, I was surprised to find the mouse ball covers
    glued in, and asked him why.He said the girls take them, he doesn't
    know why or what they do with them.

    , Mar 9, 2005
  4. On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:07:46 +1300, SchoolTech
    <> wrote in

    > From time to time we buy (very cheaply of course) brand named machines
    > from various suppliers mostly on Trademe
    >
    > There is one thing these have in common and that is the Windows OEM
    > sticker has been peeled/torn off the case with varying degrees of
    > success.
    >
    > It seems clear that these stickers are not meant to be removed off the
    > cases in accordance with MS's OEM license agreement which states that the
    > license goes with the machine the software was first installed on.
    >
    > There must be some sort of back door trade in these stickers for going
    > onto other machines even though they are clearly damaged.

    Are you in the market?

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    2005 Pricelessware CD now available.
    Pricelessware - the best of the best in freeware, as determined by the
    readers of alt.comp.freeware.
    E-Mail me for details: - mention CD in subject.

    .... Knowledge is good; it is better if we can use it to do good.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Mar 9, 2005
  5. wrote:
    > When I was working at a girls high school the admin told me the girls
    > pick the stickers off, I was surprised to find the mouse ball covers
    > glued in, and asked him why.He said the girls take them, he doesn't
    > know why or what they do with them.

    Quite simple actually. Boredom and lack of discipline.

    Peeling stickers is a way to have something to do in an otherwise boring
    class. If schools actually taught something worthwhile (And education
    standards were much higher in general), I'm sure there would be less
    removal of stickers.

    As for removing balls... I doubt it is a sexual thing, more likely they
    are somehow entertained by making the lives of other students and staff
    difficult.

    I would never buy a PC with one of those stickers attached due to their
    unsightly appearance, their eventual irrelevance, and the potential for
    damage or 'sticky stuff' when removed.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Mar 9, 2005
  6. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:18:19 +1300, DoggNZ <>
    says...
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:07:46 +1300, SchoolTech
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > >There must be some sort of back door trade in these stickers for going
    > >onto other machines even though they are clearly damaged.

    > I doubt it.

    So, then, why go to the bother of removing them?

    Is there some sort of pleasure in denying the purchaser the use of the
    Windows license?

    SchoolTech, Mar 9, 2005
  7. SchoolTech

    Invisible Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:42:30 +1300, SchoolTech <>
    wrote:

    >In article <> in nz.comp on
    >Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:18:19 +1300, DoggNZ <>
    >says...
    >> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:07:46 +1300, SchoolTech
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> >There must be some sort of back door trade in these stickers for going
    >> >onto other machines even though they are clearly damaged.

    >> I doubt it.

    >So, then, why go to the bother of removing them?
    >
    >Is there some sort of pleasure in denying the purchaser the use of the
    >Windows license?

    I guess you're screwed if you upgrade your case.

    Invisible, Mar 10, 2005
  8. On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:51:50 +1300, wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:07:46 +1300, SchoolTech
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>From time to time we buy (very cheaply of course) brand named machines
    >>from various suppliers mostly on Trademe
    >>
    >>There is one thing these have in common and that is the Windows OEM
    >>sticker has been peeled/torn off the case with varying degrees of
    >>success.
    >>
    >>It seems clear that these stickers are not meant to be removed off the
    >>cases in accordance with MS's OEM license agreement which states that the
    >>license goes with the machine the software was first installed on.
    >>
    >>There must be some sort of back door trade in these stickers for going
    >>onto other machines even though they are clearly damaged.

    > When I was working at a girls high school the admin told me the girls
    > pick the stickers off, I was surprised to find the mouse ball covers
    > glued in, and asked him why.He said the girls take them, he doesn't
    > know why or what they do with them.

    Not much better at university. People break the feet off the keyboards.
    They torture floppy drives (scary how many still use them). Find it funny
    to change the OSD on monitors to french etc (or turn the brightness right
    down). The old spill over the keyboards.

    The screens are always covered with fingerprints.. The funny thing is when
    you remove floppy drives to get a replacemnt and stick tape over so that
    hopefully no one will use them but come back to find a few rattling around
    inside the case.

    And people who ruin a fuser unit in a colour laser with some flimsy
    transparency are another story.

    And yep the asset labels get a workout too, hence mark the equipment on the
    back with a permanent marker. There must be a trade in Dell badges too ;-)

    wogers nemesis, Mar 10, 2005
  9. SchoolTech

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:42:30 +1300, SchoolTech wrote:

    > Is there some sort of pleasure in denying the purchaser the use of the
    > Windows license?

    Not really, it for their good though.

    Gordon, Mar 10, 2005
  10. SchoolTech

    ~misfit~ Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> When I was working at a girls high school the admin told me the girls
    >> pick the stickers off, I was surprised to find the mouse ball covers
    >> glued in, and asked him why.He said the girls take them, he doesn't
    >> know why or what they do with them.

    > Quite simple actually. Boredom and lack of discipline.
    >
    > Peeling stickers is a way to have something to do in an otherwise
    > boring class. If schools actually taught something worthwhile (And
    > education standards were much higher in general), I'm sure there
    > would be less removal of stickers.
    >
    > As for removing balls... I doubt it is a sexual thing, more likely
    > they are somehow entertained by making the lives of other students
    > and staff difficult.

    Have you never heard of "Ben-wa" balls?

    Quoted from: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=137801

    "Ben-wa balls originated in Japan and were two or more spheres of hollow
    wood filled with mercury. They were intended to be inserted into the vagina
    whereby a rocking motion would produce shifts, movements and vibrations in
    the balls leading to pleasurable effects.

    Due to the dangers of mercury the balls are now commonly made of steel and
    are solid, losing much of their original functions. They are intended to be
    insterted into various openings in the body where they still move and
    vibrate when they strike each other."
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 10, 2005
  11. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Have you never heard of "Ben-wa" balls?
    >
    > "Ben-wa balls originated in Japan and were two or more spheres of hollow
    > wood filled with mercury. They were intended to be inserted into the vagina
    > whereby a rocking motion would produce shifts, movements and vibrations in
    > the balls leading to pleasurable effects.

    Heard of them, had no idea what they were used for. A quick Google
    search suggests the 'Ben-wa' balls I have seen were in fact not the
    genuine article, rather over-sized (thankfully!) decorative items.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Mar 10, 2005
  12. SchoolTech

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > The Other Guy wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> When I was working at a girls high school the admin told me the
    >>> girls pick the stickers off, I was surprised to find the mouse ball
    >>> covers glued in, and asked him why.He said the girls take them, he
    >>> doesn't know why or what they do with them.

    >> Quite simple actually. Boredom and lack of discipline.
    >>
    >> Peeling stickers is a way to have something to do in an otherwise
    >> boring class. If schools actually taught something worthwhile (And
    >> education standards were much higher in general), I'm sure there
    >> would be less removal of stickers.
    >>
    >> As for removing balls... I doubt it is a sexual thing, more likely
    >> they are somehow entertained by making the lives of other students
    >> and staff difficult.

    > Have you never heard of "Ben-wa" balls?
    >
    > Quoted from: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=137801
    >
    > "Ben-wa balls originated in Japan and were two or more spheres of
    > hollow wood filled with mercury. They were intended to be inserted
    > into the vagina whereby a rocking motion would produce shifts,
    > movements and vibrations in the balls leading to pleasurable effects.
    >
    > Due to the dangers of mercury the balls are now commonly made of steel
    > and are solid, losing much of their original functions. They are
    > intended to be insterted into various openings in the body where they
    > still move and vibrate when they strike each other."
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Mouse balls are made of rubber. Probably used to bounce off the pavement
    onto a roof.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 10, 2005
  13. On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:17:47 +1300, ~misfit~ <>
    wrote in <news:>:

    > The Other Guy wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> When I was working at a girls high school the admin told me the girls
    >>> pick the stickers off, I was surprised to find the mouse ball covers
    >>> glued in, and asked him why.He said the girls take them, he doesn't
    >>> know why or what they do with them.

    >> Quite simple actually. Boredom and lack of discipline.
    >>
    >> Peeling stickers is a way to have something to do in an otherwise
    >> boring class. If schools actually taught something worthwhile (And
    >> education standards were much higher in general), I'm sure there
    >> would be less removal of stickers.
    >>
    >> As for removing balls... I doubt it is a sexual thing, more likely
    >> they are somehow entertained by making the lives of other students
    >> and staff difficult.

    > Have you never heard of "Ben-wa" balls?
    >
    > Quoted from: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=137801
    >
    > "Ben-wa balls originated in Japan and were two or more spheres of hollow
    > wood filled with mercury. They were intended to be inserted into the vagina
    > whereby a rocking motion would produce shifts, movements and vibrations in
    > the balls leading to pleasurable effects.
    >
    > Due to the dangers of mercury the balls are now commonly made of steel and
    > are solid, losing much of their original functions. They are intended to be
    > insterted into various openings in the body where they still move and
    > vibrate when they strike each other."

    Be a bit of a bugger if they "struck each other" whilst something vital
    was between them!

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    2005 Pricelessware CD now available.
    Pricelessware - the best of the best in freeware, as determined by the
    readers of alt.comp.freeware.
    E-Mail me for details: - mention CD in subject.

    .... We are worthy of only as much respect as we are prepared to give
    others.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Mar 10, 2005
  14. SchoolTech

    David Guest

    wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:07:46 +1300, SchoolTech
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>From time to time we buy (very cheaply of course) brand named machines
    >>from various suppliers mostly on Trademe

    >>There is one thing these have in common and that is the Windows OEM
    >>sticker has been peeled/torn off the case with varying degrees of
    >>success.
    >>
    >>It seems clear that these stickers are not meant to be removed off the
    >>cases in accordance with MS's OEM license agreement which states that the
    >>license goes with the machine the software was first installed on.
    >>
    >>There must be some sort of back door trade in these stickers for going
    >>onto other machines even though they are clearly damaged.

    > When I was working at a girls high school the admin told me the girls
    > pick the stickers off, I was surprised to find the mouse ball covers
    > glued in, and asked him why.He said the girls take them, he doesn't
    > know why or what they do with them.

    Cut the rubber with a knife and you get a shiny steel ball which is
    mildly entertaining for some people

    David, Mar 10, 2005
  15. >Not much better at university. People break the feet off the keyboards.
    >They torture floppy drives, etc, etc....

    And that's just the staff....

    Steve Marshall, Mar 10, 2005
  16. The Other Guy wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Have you never heard of "Ben-wa" balls?
    >>
    >> "Ben-wa balls originated in Japan and were two or more spheres of hollow
    >> wood filled with mercury. They were intended to be inserted into the
    >> vagina
    >> whereby a rocking motion would produce shifts, movements and
    >> vibrations in
    >> the balls leading to pleasurable effects.

    > Heard of them, had no idea what they were used for. A quick Google
    > search suggests the 'Ben-wa' balls I have seen were in fact not the
    > genuine article, rather over-sized (thankfully!) decorative items.

    those may have been the other steel balls, used to spin round in your
    hand, labrynth styles(go david bowie :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 10, 2005
  17. Dave Taylor wrote:
    >>Have you never heard of "Ben-wa" balls?

    snip
    >>Due to the dangers of mercury the balls are now commonly made of steel
    >>and are solid, losing much of their original functions. They are
    >>intended to be insterted into various openings in the body where they
    >>still move and vibrate when they strike each other."

    > Mouse balls are made of rubber. Probably used to bounce off the pavement
    > onto a roof.

    nah, they dont bounce... well, none that I've tried.
    the plastic trackballs bounce really well, but shatter if thrown too
    hard at concrete.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 10, 2005
  18. Jason Fanning, Mar 10, 2005