    residual value of $46.00 (512.00 - 46.00) $466.00 operating cost for 30
    months. So the cost of owning and operating this camera was approx. $15.50
    per month excluding prints.

    Guest, Oct 22, 2006

  2. Guest

    Bill Crocker Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:N5L_g.8924$...
    > Has anyone used Kodak Trade-in Estimator at
    > http://kodak.eztradein.com/kodak/?CID=go&idhbx=tradein.
    > In my case I bought an HP 707 (5.0MP with rechargeable batteries) at
    > $449.99 CAD 30 months ago. Now the estimated value is about $46.00 CAD.
    > So if I take $449.00 + 14% Hst my walk away cost was $512.00 CAD. Less
    > the residual value of $46.00 (512.00 - 46.00) $466.00 operating cost for
    > 30 months. So the cost of owning and operating this camera was approx.
    > $15.50 per month excluding prints.

    It's a KODAK site! Need I say more? I'm surprised they're not offering a
    free prostate exam while they're sticking it to you!

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Oct 22, 2006

  3. Guest

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 14:19:25 GMT, <> wrote:

    >Has anyone used Kodak Trade-in Estimator at
    >http://kodak.eztradein.com/kodak/?CID=go&idhbx=tradein.
    >In my case I bought an HP 707 (5.0MP with rechargeable batteries) at $449.99
    >CAD 30 months ago. Now the estimated value is about $46.00 CAD.
    >So if I take $449.00 + 14% Hst my walk away cost was $512.00 CAD. Less the
    >residual value of $46.00 (512.00 - 46.00) $466.00 operating cost for 30
    >months. So the cost of owning and operating this camera was approx. $15.50
    >per month excluding prints.

    I think you are confusing "value" with "trade-in value".
    The trade-in value is what someone else is willing to pay; value is
    what it is worth to you.
    Unless you trade in the camera now, the cost per month keeps going
    down.
    But, why keep track? Did you buy the camera as an investment, or to
    use?

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Oct 22, 2006
  4. Guest

    bmoag Guest

    Want to know the sad truth?
    Your HP has absolutely NO resale value. Kodak is just messing with you.
    If you can get someone to pay your anything for that obsolete clunker take
    the money and run.
    Digital SLRs one generation old have almost no resale value.
    What makes you think that a P&S outsourced to an Asian OEM by an office
    products distributor will retain any resale value?
    If it makes you feel any better, you overpaid for the camera to begin with.
    On the other hand, if you are still satisfied with the images you get from
    the camera what else matters?

    bmoag, Oct 22, 2006
  5. Guest

    iws Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    > Want to know the sad truth?
    > Your HP has absolutely NO resale value. Kodak is just messing with you.
    > If you can get someone to pay your anything for that obsolete clunker take
    > the money and run.
    > Digital SLRs one generation old have almost no resale value.
    > What makes you think that a P&S outsourced to an Asian OEM by an office
    > products distributor will retain any resale value?
    > If it makes you feel any better, you overpaid for the camera to begin

    with.
    > On the other hand, if you are still satisfied with the images you get from
    > the camera what else matters?

    What a crock! That "obsolete clunker" will bring between US$50 and US$100 on
    eBay depending on condition. I could get a similar amount for my truly
    ancient Nikon Coolpix 800. That said, model cycles are now around a year in
    length and you can get screaming deals on the old models as the new ones are
    about to come out. never buy when the new model first comes out - wait for 8
    to 10 months. My Canon A620's price dropped in half within 8 months from
    when it first came out.

    iws, Oct 23, 2006
  6. Guest

    Dave Guest

    That said, model cycles are now around a year in
    > length and you can get screaming deals on the old models as the new ones are
    > about to come out. never buy when the new model first comes out - wait for 8
    > to 10 months. My Canon A620's price dropped in half within 8 months from
    > when it first came out.

    I bought my A620 in May for $260 on Amazon,within three weeks got $40
    refunded when the price went down to $220 and the last time I looked,the
    price was up to $310?? Go figger....

    Dave

    --
    "...voters are not apathetic; rather, they are too deeply concerned
    with the nation's serious problems to be interested in the

    Dave, Oct 23, 2006
  7. Guest

    iws Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > That said, model cycles are now around a year in
    > > length and you can get screaming deals on the old models as the new ones

    are
    > > about to come out. never buy when the new model first comes out - wait

    for 8
    > > to 10 months. My Canon A620's price dropped in half within 8 months from
    > > when it first came out.
    > >

    > I bought my A620 in May for $260 on Amazon,within three weeks got $40
    > refunded when the price went down to $220 and the last time I looked,the
    > price was up to $310?? Go figger....

    I think the A620 is now obsolete and there are only a couple of small
    internet stores carrying it so the competition is less as the last few are
    sold off. I paid $217 for mine in June. I guess it's been superceded by the
    A640 with more pixels, a larger LCD and black color. And it's available for
    about $320. Just wait until next June!

    iws, Oct 23, 2006
  8. Guest

    Dave Guest

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 14:19:25 GMT, <> wrote:

    >Has anyone used Kodak Trade-in Estimator at
    >http://kodak.eztradein.com/kodak/?CID=go&idhbx=tradein.
    >In my case I bought an HP 707 (5.0MP with rechargeable batteries) at $449.99
    >CAD 30 months ago. Now the estimated value is about $46.00 CAD.
    >So if I take $449.00 + 14% Hst my walk away cost was $512.00 CAD. Less the
    >residual value of $46.00 (512.00 - 46.00) $466.00 operating cost for 30
    >months. So the cost of owning and operating this camera was approx. $15.50
    >per month excluding prints.

    I just tried it on my DX6490 that I recently sold on Ebay. The
    trade-in value was less than half of what I got selling it.

    Dave

    Dave, Oct 23, 2006
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    That "Kodak Trade-in Estimator" does not produced an exact evaluation of
    what a camera is worth today.
    The other aspect is How much can the market bear of tolerated. If I need to
    have camera right now because I am going on a cruise. I will pay what I
    think is a fair price. Conversely, If I buy cameras for re-sale I'll pay
    the street value less the probability of having the camera on the shelf for
    an indefinite period of time + a profit and administration cost.
    If it is a camera that is well in demand the owner will not have any problem
    of finding a new buyer at a fair price.
    On the other hand if a camera is well in demand the owner may not want to
    sell it.

    Guest, Oct 23, 2006
  10. Guest

    Bill Crocker Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 14:19:25 GMT, <> wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone used Kodak Trade-in Estimator at
    >>http://kodak.eztradein.com/kodak/?CID=go&idhbx=tradein.
    >>In my case I bought an HP 707 (5.0MP with rechargeable batteries) at
    >>$449.99
    >>CAD 30 months ago. Now the estimated value is about $46.00 CAD.
    >>So if I take $449.00 + 14% Hst my walk away cost was $512.00 CAD. Less
    >>the
    >>residual value of $46.00 (512.00 - 46.00) $466.00 operating cost for 30
    >>months. So the cost of owning and operating this camera was approx. $15.50
    >>per month excluding prints.
    >>

    > I just tried it on my DX6490 that I recently sold on Ebay. The
    > trade-in value was less than half of what I got selling it.
    >
    > Dave

    It's hilarious! I punched in the data for my new Nikon D200 with the
    17-55mm f/2.8 lens. Their calculator offered me $450.00 for $2,800.00 worth
    of gear!

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Oct 23, 2006
  11. Guest

    John Turco Guest

    iws wrote:

    > "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    > > Want to know the sad truth?
    > > Your HP has absolutely NO resale value. Kodak is just messing with you.
    > > If you can get someone to pay your anything for that obsolete clunker take
    > > the money and run.

    <edited, for brevity>

    > What a crock! That "obsolete clunker" will bring between US$50 and US$100 on
    > eBay depending on condition. I could get a similar amount for my truly
    > ancient Nikon Coolpix 800. That said, model cycles are now around a year in
    > length and you can get screaming deals on the old models as the new ones are
    > about to come out. never buy when the new model first comes out - wait for 8
    > to 10 months. My Canon A620's price dropped in half within 8 months from
    > when it first came out.

    Hello,

    What a crock, indeed! Even broken digicams have surprising resale value,
    on eBay.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Oct 24, 2006