    check to see how long a port has been inactive for? Any software out
    there that would monitor this for me?

    Thanks

    Nick, Dec 7, 2006

  2. Nick

    Merv Guest

    This same question was asked and answered some time ago - google this
    newsgroup for answer provided by Walter Robinson et al

    Merv, Dec 7, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    Merv <> wrote:
    >This same question was asked and answered some time ago - google this
    >newsgroup for answer provided by Walter Robinson et al

    Unfortunately, even when you spell the name as "Roberson", it is
    not easy to pull out the relevant posting. As best I can tell,
    google has lost a large number of my postings :(

    The short answer is ... uh, I lost track of the question, as Merv
    unfortunately failed to quote anything he was replying to.

    Walter Roberson, Dec 7, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    Nick <> wrote:
    >I've got a few 24 port 2950's. Just about all ports have cables
    >connected to them, which run to patch panels, which then run to various
    >drops throughout the building. I know that there are some ports out
    >there which don't have end devices connected to them any more. I'd
    >like to track down which of these ports are no longer in use without
    >tracing every cable back to its end destination. Is there any way to
    >check to see how long a port has been inactive for?

    Not really.

    >Any software out
    >there that would monitor this for me?

    Please see the threads starting from
    http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.dcom.sys.cisco/msg/7be9f321480f2678
    http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.dcom.sys.cisco/msg/ae7a98c322d9bd7e
    http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.dcom.sys.cisco/msg/e08d8c91531dc398
    http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.dcom.sys.cisco/msg/015a46d0e337f6ce
    http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.dcom.sys.cisco/msg/c222e7bf96eb3b6e

    Walter Roberson, Dec 7, 2006
  5. Nick

    SmilerNet Guest

    I can highly recommend Crannog Netwhere (www.crannog-software.com), not too
    badly priced either.

    Tracks port usage and MAC to IP to Port mappings.

    Or else here's some freebies

    Netdisco - www.netdisco.org - Can be complicated to setup & configure

    Switchmap - www.switchmap.com - easy to setup and I've had this running on
    Windows 2003 Server. Provides MAC to IP to Port mappings as wells as port
    usage.

    SmilerNet, Dec 7, 2006
  6. Nick

    Guest

    SmilerNet wrote:
    > I can highly recommend Crannog Netwhere (www.crannog-software.com), not too
    > badly priced either.
    >
    > Tracks port usage and MAC to IP to Port mappings.
    >
    > Or else here's some freebies
    >
    > Netdisco - www.netdisco.org - Can be complicated to setup & configure
    >
    > Switchmap - www.switchmap.com - easy to setup and I've had this running on
    > Windows 2003 Server. Provides MAC to IP to Port mappings as wells as port
    > usage.
    >

    > "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > > I've got a few 24 port 2950's. Just about all ports have cables
    > > connected to them, which run to patch panels, which then run to various
    > > drops throughout the building. I know that there are some ports out
    > > there which don't have end devices connected to them any more. I'd
    > > like to track down which of these ports are no longer in use without
    > > tracing every cable back to its end destination. Is there any way to
    > > check to see how long a port has been inactive for? Any software out
    > > there that would monitor this for me?

    I understand that there are commercial software tools
    that can help with this. I have no experience with them however
    an approach that I have used is to periodically clear all the interface

    counters "clear counters" and then a couple of weeks later (or
    whatever interval pleases you) do say "sh int | inc packets|protocol"
    and any that are zero have not been used.
    This is OK for a modest number of users. If you are an
    investment bank with 10,000's of users then this will not do.

    The "sh interface" output also includes a "last input"
    timestamp and there is a standard mib for this too.
    However - I have found over many years that neither
    are in the least reliable. YMMV.

    , Dec 8, 2006
  7. Nick

    Nick Guest

    wrote:
    > SmilerNet wrote:
    > > I can highly recommend Crannog Netwhere (www.crannog-software.com), not too
    > > badly priced either.
    > >
    > > Tracks port usage and MAC to IP to Port mappings.
    > >
    > > Or else here's some freebies
    > >
    > > Netdisco - www.netdisco.org - Can be complicated to setup & configure
    > >
    > > Switchmap - www.switchmap.com - easy to setup and I've had this running on
    > > Windows 2003 Server. Provides MAC to IP to Port mappings as wells as port
    > > usage.
    > >

    > > "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > > > I've got a few 24 port 2950's. Just about all ports have cables
    > > > connected to them, which run to patch panels, which then run to various
    > > > drops throughout the building. I know that there are some ports out
    > > > there which don't have end devices connected to them any more. I'd
    > > > like to track down which of these ports are no longer in use without
    > > > tracing every cable back to its end destination. Is there any way to
    > > > check to see how long a port has been inactive for? Any software out
    > > > there that would monitor this for me?

    > I understand that there are commercial software tools
    > that can help with this. I have no experience with them however
    > an approach that I have used is to periodically clear all the interface
    >
    > counters "clear counters" and then a couple of weeks later (or
    > whatever interval pleases you) do say "sh int | inc packets|protocol"
    > and any that are zero have not been used.
    > This is OK for a modest number of users. If you are an
    > investment bank with 10,000's of users then this will not do.
    >
    > The "sh interface" output also includes a "last input"
    > timestamp and there is a standard mib for this too.
    > However - I have found over many years that neither
    > are in the least reliable. YMMV.

    Thanks for the replies, while I'd like to look into some of the above
    mentioned software, right now the "sh int | inc packets | protocol"
    command works perfect.

    Nick, Dec 8, 2006
  8. Nick

    Nick Guest

    wrote:
    > counters "clear counters" and then a couple of weeks later (or
    > whatever interval pleases you) do say "sh int | inc packets|protocol"
    > and any that are zero have not been used.
    > This is OK for a modest number of users. If you are an
    > investment bank with 10,000's of users then this will not do.

    Thanks for everyones help. I'd like to look into some software at one
    point, but for now the "sh int | inc packets | protocol" command works
    perfect.

    Nick, Dec 8, 2006