    What do I do (in Firefox, perhaps ?) to prohibit them ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, May 16, 2009

  2. Robert11

    VanguardLH Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Http_cookie

    VanguardLH, May 16, 2009

  3. Robert11 wrote:

    > ... that I have zillions of "Tracking Cookies".
    >
    > What are tracking cookies, please ?

    Same as regular cookies, except they are read by - usually - advertising
    companies to watch what you do on the World Wide Web. They can then
    serve up ads specifically tailored to your browsing habits.

    > Do they slow up my system, probably, meaningfully, as I guess they
    > continuously send tracking data back ?

    If you have "zillions" that alone will slow down your browser to a
    degree. It depends on what browser you use, too. Since, in Internet
    Explorer, they are all small, separate individual files, yes it will.

    Do they continuously send tracking data? No, only when you visit a site
    where each cookie's server is used. The server will look for existing
    cookies and see what you are doing.

    They are not malicious - in the sense of a virus - but they are annoying
    for sure. Learn how to use a HOSTS file, and a good cookie strategy.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 16, 2009

    In your Firefox preferences set it to disallow "third party cookies". These are cookies that are seved up by a domain OTHER than the site you are visiting. So for instance if you visit www.cnn.com and the page wants to load a cookie from www.advertiser.com/tracking.html it will be disallowed.

    J¡m ßéâñ, May 16, 2009
  5. On Sat, 16 May 2009 15:21:35 -0400, Robert11 wrote:

    Tracking cookies track you activities online so they can market ads to
    you.

    I set firefox up to only accept session cookies, than I make exceptions
    for sites I use frequently like youtube, yahoo, nytimes, and google. Alot
    of people set firefox up to not accept third party cookies, but I find
    alot of trackers still get in this way.

    Tracking cookies don't generally impede performance though. The thing
    that does is spyware and most of that gets on your computer if you are
    operating in an administrative rather than a user account. Create an
    administrative account only for installing things, then use a user account
    for everyday Internet use. Create a strong password for your
    administrative account with letters and numbers, don't include your name
    or anything easy to guess. You can still install without logging into
    the administrative by using the runas dialog on your right click. Another
    protection against spyware is to use the noscript javascript addon in
    firefox.

    Also if you use internet explorer for anything set it to only run session
    cookies in internet options and to high security, except for sites you use
    like internet banking and trusted download sites, which can be run at
    medium low in trusted sites, and so forth.

    You should also consider a linuxos like u-lite. It is a very safe os. It
    is configured to require a strong password for administrative, and to
    encourage people to do everyday work in a user account, so it doesn't get
    hit with malaware much.

    --
    http://english-158465906205.spampoison.com
    http://u-lite.org

    No Alternative, May 17, 2009
  6. rd wrote:
    > "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello, Running XP, and using Firefox.
    >>
    >> Also use AVG for my virus protection software.
    >> Ran a big scan with AVG, and it pulled up that I have zillions of
    >> "Tracking Cookies".
    >>
    >> What are tracking cookies, please ?
    >>
    >> Do they slow up my system, probably, meaningfully, as I guess they
    >> continuously send tracking data back ?
    >>
    >> How are they different from "regular" cookies ?
    >>
    >> What do I do (in Firefox, perhaps ?) to prohibit them ?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Bob
    >>

    > AVG 8 Advanced settings / scan whole computer / check everything with
    > possible exception of "Scan media files".
    > AVG 8 Advanced settings / Virus Vault / default settings here are probably
    > best. Limit Virus Vault Size 10%. Could be much smaller if you're low on
    > disk space. Automatic file deletion 30 / 1000 seems to be my default. I
    > often empty the vault manually just to see what's there.
    > You will start a new each day with tracking cookies if you scan every day.
    > They can't track much that way.

    Google "Crapcleaner" or CCleaner; dowload it and use it frequently. It
    will clear all the cookies on your machine, plus much, much more. It's a
    great tool along with a good virus scanner which all PCs running
    Windows should have.

    Caulfield_man, May 17, 2009
  7. Caulfield_man wrote:
    > rd wrote:
    >> "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello, Running XP, and using Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Also use AVG for my virus protection software.
    >>> Ran a big scan with AVG, and it pulled up that I have zillions of
    >>> "Tracking Cookies".
    >>>
    >>> What are tracking cookies, please ?
    >>>
    >>> Do they slow up my system, probably, meaningfully, as I guess they
    >>> continuously send tracking data back ?
    >>>
    >>> How are they different from "regular" cookies ?
    >>>
    >>> What do I do (in Firefox, perhaps ?) to prohibit them ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Bob
    >>>

    >> AVG 8 Advanced settings / scan whole computer / check everything with
    >> possible exception of "Scan media files".
    >> AVG 8 Advanced settings / Virus Vault / default settings here are
    >> probably best. Limit Virus Vault Size 10%. Could be much smaller if
    >> you're low on disk space. Automatic file deletion 30 / 1000 seems to
    >> be my default. I often empty the vault manually just to see what's there.
    >> You will start a new each day with tracking cookies if you scan every
    >> day. They can't track much that way.
    >>

    > Google "Crapcleaner" or CCleaner; dowload it and use it frequently. It
    > will clear all the cookies on your machine, plus much, much more. It's a
    > great tool along with a good virus scanner which all PCs running
    > Windows should have.

    That last message of mine wasn't clear. You need CCleaner PLUS a good
    virus checker. I suggest AVG free or AVAST! All available via a Google
    search.

    Caulfield_man, May 17, 2009
  8. No Alternative wrote:
    Lots snipped

    > You should also consider a linuxos like u-lite. It is a very safe os. It
    > is configured to require a strong password for administrative, and to
    > encourage people to do everyday work in a user account, so it doesn't get
    > hit with malaware much.

    Bravo!

    Running Windows or realistically any OS, as administrator is nuts. Which
    is why so many millions of pcs are compromised spambots.

    Caulfield_man, May 17, 2009
  9. Robert11

    sittingduck Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Do they slow up my system, probably, meaningfully, as I guess they
    > continuously send tracking data back ?
    >
    > How are they different from "regular" cookies ?
    >
    > What do I do (in Firefox, perhaps ?) to prohibit them ?

    Tools/options/privacy
    Change the "Keep until:" value to: I close Firefox

    Add sites you want cookies kept for to the exceptions list.

    --
    http://improve-usenet.org
    No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and

    sittingduck, May 17, 2009
  10. Lookout wrote:

    > Caulfield_man wrote:
    >> No Alternative wrote:
    >>> You should also consider a linuxos like u-lite.

    >> Bravo!

    > Stupid suggestion

    No, it isn't. Let's at least allow Thinking Man an alternative, eh?

    >> Running Windows or realistically any OS, as administrator is nuts.
    >> Which is why so many millions of pcs are compromised spambots.

    ...which is also good advice. <g>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 17, 2009