    what is this spyware and how is it getting into my pc? how can I find its
    roots and prevent it gaining access? I have avg, firewalls, spyware.
    thanks........
    miss calm, Feb 24, 2004

  2. miss calm

    °Mike° Guest

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html
    CWS.SmartKiller
    http://www.safer-networking.org/files/delcwssk.zip

    If merijn.org is down, you can get new updates from
    the MajorGeeks mirror (direct link):
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?H24932667

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:52:21 -0000, in
    <c1e76l$oh1$>
    miss calm scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 24, 2004

  3. miss calm

    miss calm Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Download, update and use *all* of the following:
    >
    > Spybot Search & Destroy
    > http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/
    > SpyBot S&D guide
    > http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
    >
    > Ad-Aware
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >
    > Spyware Blaster
    > http://www.net-integration.net/tools/spywareblaster.html
    >
    > CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    > http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
    > http://www.merijn.org/files/cwshredder.zip
    > http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html
    > CWS.SmartKiller
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/files/delcwssk.zip
    >
    > If merijn.org is down, you can get new updates from
    > the MajorGeeks mirror (direct link):
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?H24932667
    >

    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:52:21 -0000, in
    > <c1e76l$oh1$>
    > miss calm scrawled:
    >
    > >what is this spyware and how is it getting into my pc? how can I find its
    > >roots and prevent it gaining access? I have avg, firewalls, spyware.
    > >thanks........
    > >

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Hi Mike I already have most these progs but they dont stop tracking co ware
    actually getting into the pc. Thats the problem, I think that they enter
    through a legitimate route?
    miss calm, Feb 24, 2004
  4. miss calm

    trout Guest

    miss calm wrote:

    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Download, update and use *all* of the following:
    >>
    >> Spybot Search & Destroy
    >> http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    >> http://www.safer-networking.org/
    >> SpyBot S&D guide
    >> http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
    >>
    >> Ad-Aware
    >> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >>
    >> Spyware Blaster
    >> http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
    >> http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    >> http://www.net-integration.net/tools/spywareblaster.html
    >>
    >> CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    >> http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
    >> http://www.merijn.org/files/cwshredder.zip
    >> http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html
    >> CWS.SmartKiller
    >> http://www.safer-networking.org/files/delcwssk.zip
    >>
    >> If merijn.org is down, you can get new updates from
    >> the MajorGeeks mirror (direct link):
    >> http://makeashorterlink.com/?H24932667
    >>

    >> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:52:21 -0000, in
    >> <c1e76l$oh1$>
    >> miss calm scrawled:
    >>
    >>> what is this spyware and how is it getting into my pc? how can I
    >>> find its roots and prevent it gaining access? I have avg,
    >>> firewalls, spyware. thanks........
    >>>

    >> --
    >> Basic computer maintenance

    > Hi Mike I already have most these progs but they dont stop tracking
    > co ware actually getting into the pc. Thats the problem, I think that
    > they enter through a legitimate route?

    Many know tracking cookies can be prevented if you use the
    "Immunize" feature of Spybot S&D, and the SpywareBlaster program.
    You should also look at the Privacy tab in Internet Options; and
    make sure that third-party cookies are never accepted.
    You may also consider a cookie handling program. I use the free
    version of WinPatrol for this, among other things. Sniff for new cookies
    at a user-determined interval, and customize an auto-kill list ('Nuts').
    WinPatrol: http://www.winpatrol.com/winpatrolplus.html
    --
    "I hate them things."
    trout, Feb 24, 2004
  5. miss calm

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 01:55:00 -0000, in
    <c1eari$8hm$>
    miss calm scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Download, update and use *all* of the following:

    <snip>

    >> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:52:21 -0000, in
    >> <c1e76l$oh1$>
    >> miss calm scrawled:
    >>
    >> >what is this spyware and how is it getting into my pc? how can I find its
    >> >roots and prevent it gaining access? I have avg, firewalls, spyware.
    >> >thanks........
    >> >

    >Hi Mike I already have most these progs but they dont stop tracking co ware
    >actually getting into the pc. Thats the problem, I think that they enter
    >through a legitimate route?

    That's the BIG word, isn't it; "most". I said install ALL of them.
    SpywareBlaster is *designed* to prevent known ActiveX controls
    from ever installing, and it's totally transparent -- you don't have
    to have the program running, as all it does it to set a 'kill bit' in
    the registry. SpyBot also has an 'Immunize' setting to do a
    similar thing, but to a lesser degree. There is also the BHO in
    SpyBot. So, as I said, install the ALL, and the next time you
    post a message about "this spyware", how about naming it?

    As an addendum, you should read the following:

    Safe Hex
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Safe Computing Guide
    http://www.trendmicro.com/pc-cillin/vinfo/safe_computing/

    Protect your PC
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/directory/worldwide/en-gb/protect.asp

    Safe Computing Practice
    http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/safe2000.htm

    Safe Computing Practices (Safe Hex)
    http://www.cknow.com/vtutor/vtsafecompute.htm

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 24, 2004
  6. miss calm

    Hywel Guest

    In article <c1e76l$oh1$>,
    says...
    > what is this spyware and how is it getting into my pc? how can I find its
    > roots and prevent it gaining access? I have avg, firewalls, spyware.
    > thanks........

    It's a tracking cookie. I very much doubt it's doing you any harm.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/
    Hywel, Feb 24, 2004
  7. miss calm

    miss calm Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 01:55:00 -0000, in
    > <c1eari$8hm$>
    > miss calm scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> Download, update and use *all* of the following:

    > <snip>
    >
    > >> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:52:21 -0000, in
    > >> <c1e76l$oh1$>
    > >> miss calm scrawled:

    its

    > >Hi Mike I already have most these progs but they dont stop tracking co

    ware
    > >actually getting into the pc. Thats the problem, I think that they enter
    > >through a legitimate route?

    > That's the BIG word, isn't it; "most". I said install ALL of them.
    > SpywareBlaster is *designed* to prevent known ActiveX controls
    > from ever installing, and it's totally transparent -- you don't have
    > to have the program running, as all it does it to set a 'kill bit' in
    > the registry. SpyBot also has an 'Immunize' setting to do a
    > similar thing, but to a lesser degree. There is also the BHO in
    > SpyBot. So, as I said, install the ALL, and the next time you
    > post a message about "this spyware", how about naming it?
    >
    > As an addendum, you should read the following:
    >
    > Safe Hex
    > http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
    >
    > Safe Computing Guide
    > http://www.trendmicro.com/pc-cillin/vinfo/safe_computing/