Tracking a poster

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Roger Dewhurst, Mar 8, 2011.

  1. Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to newsgroups?

    Somebody told me once but I have forgotten.

    Roger Dewhurst, Mar 8, 2011

  2. On 9/03/2011 10:20 a.m., Allistar wrote:
    > Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to newsgroups?
    >>
    >> Somebody told me once but I have forgotten.

    > You can get the IP address the posted from by looking at the headers. From
    > that you may be able to determine their ISP. Though IP addresses are easily
    > "faked" by posting through a simple proxy.

    There is a method much more sophisticated than that! It gets past the
    fakes.

    Roger Dewhurst, Mar 8, 2011

  3. In article <>, Allistar <> wrote:
    >Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >> Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to newsgroups?
    >>
    >> Somebody told me once but I have forgotten.

    >You can get the IP address the posted from by looking at the headers. From
    >that you may be able to determine their ISP. Though IP addresses are easily
    >"faked" by posting through a simple proxy.

    ... and hey ... these are news groups. Expectations of courtesy and
    politeness belong in the real world (well, a bit more than here anyway :)).

    And offence is taken, not given. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 8, 2011
  4. On , , Wed, 09 Mar 2011 10:07:26 +1300, Tracking a poster, Roger Dewhurst
    <> wrote:

    >Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to newsgroups?

    Who are you looking for Roger?
    I have managed to track down most posters in the local newsgroups for my own
    interest.

    >Somebody told me once but I have forgotten.

    It's quite easy to find out where people are posting from, but long term
    analysis of their posts mostly always divulges their true identity.

    to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    Anatole France.

    Mgsr. Scooter, Mar 9, 2011
  5. Roger Dewhurst

    JohnO Guest

    On Mar 9, 10:07 am, Roger Dewhurst <> wrote:
    > Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to newsgroups?
    >
    > Somebody told me once but I have forgotten.

    You can't basically. That is unless the poster puts his name and email
    address on their post, of course.

    JohnO, Mar 9, 2011
  6. In message <il65q3$oo0$>, Roger Dewhurst wrote:

    > Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to newsgroups?

    Complain to the abuse address. For example, in your own posting, there is
    the header line:

    That’s who is responsible for feeding your postings into USENET.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 9, 2011
  7. On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 16:05:54 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >Complain to the abuse address. For example, in your own posting, there is
    >the header line:

    >That’s who is responsible for feeding your postings into USENET.

    In my experience complaints don't work, I have posted at lest three to
    ISP's and not one of them has resulted in any action.

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Mar 9, 2011
  8. Roger Dewhurst

    Enkidu Guest

    On 09/03/11 12:22, Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    > On 9/03/2011 10:20 a.m., Allistar wrote:
    >> Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to
    >>> newsgroups?
    >>>
    >>> Somebody told me once but I have forgotten.

    >> You can get the IP address the posted from by looking at the headers.
    >> From
    >> that you may be able to determine their ISP. Though IP addresses are
    >> easily
    >> "faked" by posting through a simple proxy.

    > There is a method much more sophisticated than that! It gets past the
    > fakes.

    No method is infallible.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Mar 9, 2011
  9. On , , Wed, 09 Mar 2011 15:38:36 +1300, Re: Tracking a poster, Allistar
    <> wrote:

    >Mgsr. Scooter wrote:
    >
    >> On , , Wed, 09 Mar 2011 10:07:26 +1300, Tracking a poster, Roger Dewhurst
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to newsgroups?

    >> Who are you looking for Roger?
    >> I have managed to track down most posters in the local newsgroups for my
    >> own interest.
    >>
    >>>Somebody told me once but I have forgotten.

    >> It's quite easy to find out where people are posting from,

    >Assuming they're not intentionally masking that.

    As I said below, long term analysis often provides their identity.

    Mgsr. Scooter, Mar 9, 2011
  10. Roger Dewhurst

    Mike Dee Guest

    Mgsr. Scooter wrote:

    > --
    > "The law, in its majestic equality...

    Sig's require a space before the carriage return after the two "--"'s
    to work correctly. Is your Forte Agent sending the sig incorrectly, or
    are you?

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Mar 11, 2011
  11. Roger Dewhurst

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:02:38 +0000 (UTC), in message <Xns9EA5E03DC8D61emteedee@212.227.252.171>
    Mike Dee wrote:

    > Mgsr. Scooter wrote:
    >
    > > --
    > > "The law, in its majestic equality...

    > Sig's require a space before the carriage return after the two "--"'s
    > to work correctly. Is your Forte Agent sending the sig incorrectly, or
    > are you?

    That would be Scooter. Agent inserts whatever the user types into
    their signature.

    Scooter might not even be aware of the difference between the correct
    sig separator "-- " and his "--". For recognizing other people's sigs,
    Agent's default configuration recognizes all four of the following as
    sig separators:
    "-- " (the correct sig separator)
    "--" (missing the training space, like Scooter)
    "- -- " (what inline PGP does to the correct sig separator)
    "- --" (what inline PGP does to a sig separator which is missing the trailing space)

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Mar 11, 2011
  12. Roger Dewhurst

    Mike Dee Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:

    [...]
    > Scooter might not even be aware of the difference between the
    > correct sig separator "-- " and his "--". For recognizing other
    > people's sigs, Agent's default configuration recognizes all four
    > of the following as sig separators:
    > "-- " (the correct sig separator)
    > "--" (missing the training space, like Scooter)
    > "- -- " (what inline PGP does to the correct sig separator)
    > "- --" (what inline PGP does to a sig separator which is
    > missing the trailing space)

    Thanks for the explanation, Ralph.

    Its good to that Agent corrects broken sigs. I think that Scooter is
    unlikely to know that he is sending out a broken sig, too.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Mar 11, 2011
  13. On , , Tue, 22 Mar 2011 21:10:40 +1300, Re: Tracking a poster, "collector.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >On 9/03/2011 2:26 p.m., Mgsr. Scooter wrote:
    >> On , , Wed, 09 Mar 2011 10:07:26 +1300, Tracking a poster, Roger Dewhurst
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to newsgroups?

    >> Who are you looking for Roger?
    >> I have managed to track down most posters in the local newsgroups for my own
    >> interest.
    >>
    >>> Somebody told me once but I have forgotten.

    >> It's quite easy to find out where people are posting from, but long term
    >> analysis of their posts mostly always divulges their true identity.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor
    >> to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    >> Anatole France.

    >Oh dear fail again, you think I am Graeme, but I am not and so many
    >reasonable people in the groups actually know me it makes me laugh at
    >your pathetic statements

    What are you jibbering about?
    You have me confused with someone who actually gives a shit about who you are.
    I don't care and have no interest in your paranoid conspiracy theories.

    Mgsr. Scooter, Mar 22, 2011
  14. Roger Dewhurst

    liberty Guest

    On Mar 9, 10:07 am, Roger Dewhurst <> wrote:
    > Can anyone how to track down the sender of offensive posts to newsgroups?
    >
    > Somebody told me once but I have forgotten.

    Are you going to sort him out ?
    Can you advise the date and place. So we can all go and watch :)

    liberty, Mar 31, 2011