Tracing peer to peer user.

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Unruh, May 31, 2005.

  1. Unruh

    Unruh Guest

    "Murray R. Van Luyn" <> writes:

    >Hi,

    >I'm interested in tracing a peer to peer user that is distributing my
    >software in breach of copyright.

    >I can get the ip address he is using with his dial-up account, and maybe the
    >ISP using traceroute. What I really want is his username/ e-mail address so
    >that I can politely remind him that there is no anonymity on a network.

    >Any (helpful) suggestions anyone?

    That is what the RIAA and Movie Association want too. They have gone to
    court in many countries to try to get it. In many they were told to get
    lost. In some the courts were compliant and forced the ISP to reveal the
    person.
    You will have to get a court order and then possibly run a lawsuit against
    the ISP to get the name, etc.
    While I understand your concern, I hope you fail.
    There should be some degree of anonymity on a network.

    Unruh, May 31, 2005

  2. Unruh

    Tommy Guest

    Tommy, May 31, 2005

  3. Hi,

    I'm interested in tracing a peer to peer user that is distributing my
    software in breach of copyright.

    I can get the ip address he is using with his dial-up account, and maybe the
    ISP using traceroute. What I really want is his username/ e-mail address so
    that I can politely remind him that there is no anonymity on a network.

    Any (helpful) suggestions anyone?

    Regards,
    Murray R. Van Luyn.

    Murray R. Van Luyn, May 31, 2005
  4. Unruh

    Tommy Guest

    Unruh wrote:

    > "Murray R. Van Luyn" <> writes:
    >
    >>Hi,

    >>I'm interested in tracing a peer to peer user that is distributing my
    >>software in breach of copyright.

    >>I can get the ip address he is using with his dial-up account, and maybe
    >>the ISP using traceroute. What I really want is his username/ e-mail
    >>address so that I can politely remind him that there is no anonymity on a
    >>network.

    >>Any (helpful) suggestions anyone?

    > That is what the RIAA and Movie Association want too. They have gone to
    > court in many countries to try to get it. In many they were told to get
    > lost. In some the courts were compliant and forced the ISP to reveal the
    > person.
    > You will have to get a court order and then possibly run a lawsuit against
    > the ISP to get the name, etc.
    > While I understand your concern, I hope you fail.
    > There should be some degree of anonymity on a network.

    He would have to go that route if he wanted to sue the guy in a court of
    law.

    Sounds like he just wants to warn the guy. Dsniff, would sniff the network -
    as soon as they guy goes to check his e-mail BAM! There comes his email
    addy. Send the guy an e-mail and say: get off my network, that alone should
    throw the guy for a loop - He's going to be wondering how in the heck you
    got an e-mail addy from an IP. Not to mention his password.

    Tommy, May 31, 2005
  5. Hi Unruh,

    Thanks for the advice. I'm sure that I won't get anywhere if I approach the
    ISP and ask them for the username. I don't really want to run a lawsuit
    against someone who isn't the culprit, and who's living depends upon the
    illusion of unaccountability.

    I sort of feel that the RIAA at least will ultimately just have to accept
    that the world has changed, and that they will have to figure out a new way
    to earn other people's fortunes. I used to work in an industry that has been
    completely replaced by the introduction of XBOXes and the like. I got over
    it.

    I'm in two minds regarding network anonymity, and anonymity in the wider
    context. Sure I don't want buckets of SPAM every time I visit the wrong
    website, but there again I have undeservedly been at the wrong end of an
    out-of-control policeman's badge number. How many times have we been given
    the forks in traffic and wondered if it wouldn't be a more polite world with
    name and address plates on vehicles instead of license numbers.

    Regards,
    Murray R. Van Luyn. (<- makes me nervous <- makes me careful.)

    Physics is Phun!

    Murray R. Van Luyn, May 31, 2005
  6. Hi Tommy,

    Thanks very much for the link to dsniff. I really just wanted to shake this
    guy's illusions for him. I think dsniff might be just the tool to help me do
    it. It may take some time to figure out what I'm doing with it, but I've got
    that coming up.

    Oh, so you can post to newsgroups anonymously. Very clever.

    Regards,
    Murray R. Van Luyn.

    "Tommy" <127.0.0.1@127.0.01> wrote in message

    Murray R. Van Luyn, May 31, 2005
  7. Unruh

    Tommy Guest

    Murray R. Van Luyn wrote:

    > Hi Tommy,
    >
    > Thanks very much for the link to dsniff. I really just wanted to shake
    > this guy's illusions for him. I think dsniff might be just the tool to
    > help me do it. It may take some time to figure out what I'm doing with it,
    > but I've got that coming up.

    You really shouldn't have any problems with it. (If so, just post back)
    Dsniff also comes with arpspoof: You can redirect the packets on a network
    through your computer, sniff 'em and the rest is, uh, up to you. Lol.

    Tommy, May 31, 2005
  8. Unruh

    Arthur T. Guest

    In
    "Murray R. Van Luyn" <> wrote:

    >Thanks very much for the link to dsniff. I really just wanted to shake this
    >guy's illusions for him. I think dsniff might be just the tool to help me do
    >it. It may take some time to figure out what I'm doing with it, but I've got
    >that coming up.

    There's another technique that may not take so much time, if
    it works.

    Call the guy's ISP and explain the situation. Then politely
    *ask* them to send an e-mail to the guy on your behalf. The ISP
    will not be breaching any privacy, because they won't be giving
    you his edress or name. Be sure you can back up your copyright
    claim and his breach of it.

    I have no idea what the chances of it working are, but it
    might be worth a phone call. The calmer you stay and the more you
    explain that you're trying very hard to avoid a lawsuit, the
    greater the chance of them complying.

    (Standard disclaimers apply, including IANAL & YMMV.)

    --
    Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" speakeasy "dot" net
    Looking for a good MVS systems programmer position

    Arthur T., May 31, 2005
  9. Arthur T. wrote:
    > In
    > "Murray R. Van Luyn" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks very much for the link to dsniff. I really just wanted to shake this
    >>guy's illusions for him. I think dsniff might be just the tool to help me do
    >>it. It may take some time to figure out what I'm doing with it, but I've got
    >>that coming up.

    > There's another technique that may not take so much time, if
    > it works.
    >
    > Call the guy's ISP and explain the situation. Then politely
    > *ask* them to send an e-mail to the guy on your behalf. The ISP
    > will not be breaching any privacy, because they won't be giving
    > you his edress or name. Be sure you can back up your copyright
    > claim and his breach of it.
    >
    > I have no idea what the chances of it working are, but it
    > might be worth a phone call. The calmer you stay and the more you
    > explain that you're trying very hard to avoid a lawsuit, the
    > greater the chance of them complying.
    >
    > (Standard disclaimers apply, including IANAL & YMMV.)

    I don't want to spend any of MY time calling the guys ISP .....

    Hank Sniadoch, May 31, 2005
  10. Hi Tommy,

    Thanks for offering to help with dsniff. If I get stuck I'll let you know.

    Thanks again for the link to dsniff. I will be careful how it gets used.

    Murray R. Van Luyn, May 31, 2005
  11. Hi Arthur,

    Thanks for the suggestion to call the ISP and explain the situation. I'm
    starting to understand that there is a quiet undercurrent of good that
    pervades the world. That such an approach, if it's right to make, should
    succeed. It may be the least costly approach in terms of time, so I'll give
    it a go as soon as I have the ISP's details.

    Forgive my lack of confidence in ISP's. I'm sure that they're a good bunch
    and I like what they do for me a lot. When my low security website got
    hacked my ISP "didn't keep any server logs" and "can't tell who did it",
    though. It wasn't the most inspiring revelation. I'm sure that they're not
    all like that, and that if I'm not asking them to breach any confidentiality
    clauses, then it's worth a shot contacting the ISP in question.

    Regards,
    Murray R. Van Luyn.

    I hope you get the job!

    Murray R. Van Luyn, May 31, 2005
  12. Unruh

    Unruh Guest

    "Murray R. Van Luyn" <> writes:

    >Hi Tommy,

    >Thanks for offering to help with dsniff. If I get stuck I'll let you know.

    >Thanks again for the link to dsniff. I will be careful how it gets used.

    Hmm. attacking and obtaining data from someone elses network. Yes. Careful
    is what you had better be.

    Unruh, May 31, 2005
  13. Hi Unruh,

    Don't worry. I like having a website, e-mail and internet access, and don't
    want to lose or cause anyone to want to mess with any of it. I'll be good.

    Regards,
    Murray R. Van Luyn.

    Murray R. Van Luyn, May 31, 2005
  14. Unruh

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 31 May 2005 12:20:01 +0800, "Murray R. Van Luyn"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Arthur,
    >
    >Thanks for the suggestion to call the ISP and explain the situation. I'm
    >starting to understand that there is a quiet undercurrent of good that
    >pervades the world. That such an approach, if it's right to make, should
    >succeed. It may be the least costly approach in terms of time, so I'll give
    >it a go as soon as I have the ISP's details.
    >
    >Forgive my lack of confidence in ISP's. I'm sure that they're a good bunch
    >and I like what they do for me a lot. When my low security website got
    >hacked my ISP "didn't keep any server logs" and "can't tell who did it",
    >though. It wasn't the most inspiring revelation. I'm sure that they're not
    >all like that, and that if I'm not asking them to breach any confidentiality
    >clauses, then it's worth a shot contacting the ISP in question.

    It varies depending on the ISP, however asking nicely will cost
    you nothing and may get the desired result.

    If the guys hosting your website said there are no logs, they are
    incompetent liars and you should dump them and take your
    business to someone else. Unless of course it was a 'free'
    hosting deal - there you get what you pay for.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, May 31, 2005
  15. Hi Jim,

    I agree. It certainly couldn't hurt to politely ask the ISP if they can
    help, and it won't cost a lot. I think I'll quite likely be going both
    routes and taking a serious look at dsnoop as well. As soon as I get into
    the midyear break that is. I can see having to ask people not to distribute
    my files becoming an ongoing problem at this stage. It's better I find out
    how to address the situation now. I'm bound to come across one or two ISPs
    that have my interests way down on their list of priorities.

    Yeah, I kind of thought it would be highly unusual for a service provider
    not to be logging any of the traffic to or from their hosted sites. I
    suppose it's part of the illusion they like to project. To tell people
    otherwise that is. I would have liked to have gotten some post mortem info
    on how my site was hacked. At least I could have hardened the script up a
    bit. Oh well.

    Regards,
    Murray R. Van Luyn.

    Gee you guys are way nicer than some of the other newsgroups. Good on you.

    Murray R. Van Luyn, May 31, 2005
  16. Unruh

    haphzrd Guest

    Murray R. Van Luyn <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm interested in tracing a peer to peer user that is distributing my
    > software in breach of copyright.
    >
    > I can get the ip address he is using with his dial-up account, and maybe the
    > ISP using traceroute. What I really want is his username/ e-mail address so
    > that I can politely remind him that there is no anonymity on a network.
    >
    > Any (helpful) suggestions anyone?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Murray R. Van Luyn.

    Remember his IP address is dynamic and it will change everytime he dials
    in. Going the legal route would require you to log the time/date and the
    IP address associated with the distribution of your software, so you can
    compare to his ISP's logs. I would guess most ISP's won't give this
    information up to anyone short of a government agent / police official.
    I'd do it this way if I ever wanted a chance at legal action.

    --
    : :: : [haphzrd] : :: :

    haphzrd, Jun 1, 2005
  17. Hi Hap,

    Hmm, yes I see that the IP is likely to change from login to login. It
    shouldn't be a big deal to ID that and log it for each time it comes up. I'm
    not very interested in taking or offering anyone legal action just now. I'm
    pretty sure the infringer is going to be nice if I just e-mail him directly
    and respectfully ask him not to distribute my stuff.

    I think the logging idea is particularly pertinent. Before I go sniffing
    about, I imagine I will want to have a fairly convincing case to justify my
    interest. It may just go horribly wrong, in which case I will need something
    to prop myself up with. Not too sure if I should be logging anything I might
    see that I ordinarily shouldn't have access to, though. Probably not. I'll
    have to bounce that one off a few of the noggins at school.

    Gee, I can remember when you could just login to someone's server as guest,
    and take a peek at the HTTP logs for yourself. Can't see that happening
    without a warrant these day's. I'm personally glad about that one.

    Thanks for the input.

    Regards,
    Murray R. Van Luyn.

    Murray R. Van Luyn, Jun 1, 2005
  18. Unruh

    Tommy Guest

    Murray R. Van Luyn wrote:

    > Hi Unruh,
    >
    > Don't worry. I like having a website, e-mail and internet access, and
    > don't want to lose or cause anyone to want to mess with any of it. I'll be
    > good.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Murray R. Van Luyn.

    As you may have guessed 'Dsniff' has about 101-ways to get you in bad
    freaking trouble or sent to prison.

    I was talking on IRC about this.

    Basically you need to download and install irus
    http://www.amtsoftware.com/Iris-Network-Traffic-Analyzer/docs/Download
    Run it and make sure that its sniffing packets from your computer. Run it in
    the background surf the net, etc. look at the logs to make sure that you
    have it configured. If all goes well, everywhere you've been should show
    up.

    After you have it configured. log in to the p2p network and search for your
    program.(Leave the sniffer running in the background)

    Find your program and download it. This will show all those who have it and
    should give you the originating IP. And everything else. (Leave it running
    and you should catch the email) This is legal. The RIAA does the same
    thing.

    Personally, I haven't used windows for years. I have no idea about this
    program/irus. From what I gather, its something like dsniff with a GUI and
    (a) packet decoder. The difference is: Dsniff is free and Irus cost 1,000
    bucks. But you do get a free 30-day free trial on irus.

    Tommy, Jun 2, 2005
  19. Unruh

    Tommy Guest

    Unruh wrote:

    > "Murray R. Van Luyn" <> writes:
    >
    >>Hi Tommy,

    >>Thanks for offering to help with dsniff. If I get stuck I'll let you know.

    >>Thanks again for the link to dsniff. I will be careful how it gets used.

    > Hmm. attacking and obtaining data from someone elses network. Yes. Careful
    > is what you had better be.

    Yes, but p2p isn't a private network. You may have hundreds of thousands of
    users sharing files from *their* computer.

    Example:

    If I log into Kaza and throw a few mp3's into a folder and decide to share
    them with others - they are downloading 'my files' from 'my' computer. You
    may have a million computers running on this p2p network. Point being. Its
    not ileagel to sniff it, (That's how the RIAA have obtained their info on
    private users ) The IP numbers of these users didn't just appear, they
    sniffed the network to get it. We can do everything the RIAA can do - they
    can't say, well the RIAA can do but you can't)

    Tommy, Jun 3, 2005
  20. Unruh

    Winged Guest

    Tommy wrote:
    > Unruh wrote:
    >

    >>"Murray R. Van Luyn" <> writes:
    >>

    >>>Hi Tommy,

    >>>Thanks for offering to help with dsniff. If I get stuck I'll let you know.

    >>>Thanks again for the link to dsniff. I will be careful how it gets used.

    >>Hmm. attacking and obtaining data from someone elses network. Yes. Careful
    >>is what you had better be.

    > Yes, but p2p isn't a private network. You may have hundreds of thousands of
    > users sharing files from *their* computer.
    >
    > Example:
    >
    > If I log into Kaza and throw a few mp3's into a folder and decide to share
    > them with others - they are downloading 'my files' from 'my' computer. You
    > may have a million computers running on this p2p network. Point being. Its
    > not ileagel to sniff it, (That's how the RIAA have obtained their info on
    > private users ) The IP numbers of these users didn't just appear, they
    > sniffed the network to get it. We can do everything the RIAA can do - they
    > can't say, well the RIAA can do but you can't)

    Thats why God created Freenet..

    Winged

    Winged, Jun 3, 2005