    the future?

    Thank you.

    Jovial
    jovial, Jul 9, 2004

  2. jovial

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "jovial" <> wrote in
    news:62zj6jfp14jtc06.090720042330@ibm:

    > So technically, how can the usenet people block the future
    > access of a
    > blacklisted guest when the guest will be assigned a different IP
    > address in the future?

    If the guest is using a dynamic IP but is not authenticating with a
    user/pass, then the guest's ISP stops them via their RADIUS server. If
    they use a user/pass like most commercial servers, you ban their user/pass
    Jim Berwick, Jul 9, 2004

  3. jovial

    Livewire Guest

    In article <62zj6jfp14jtc06.090720042330@ibm>, says...
    > Hello Folks,
    > I read that people who abuse usenet can have their computer IP address
    > traced and they can be blocked from accessing the newsgroup.
    > I also learn that for private users(in contrast to company users) the
    > IP addresses type are assigned dynamically. In other words, each time a user
    > log in to the ISP network, the person will be assigned a different IP
    > address by random.
    > So technically, how can the usenet people block the future access of a
    > blacklisted guest when the guest will be assigned a different IP address in
    > the future?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Jovial

    At random, yes, but only from a range the ISP holds.

    The ISP's system would keep a record of which user was assigned which of
    its IP addresses at a given time.
    Livewire, Jul 10, 2004