    trace the ISP he's connected with etc., if he's now closed his dial up
    account, is there any way to trace the telephone number the ISP was dialled
    from? Many thanks
    Ray, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Ray

    Jerry G. Guest

    With some investigation you can find the ISP of his mail service, but beyond
    that, this is difficult. This is where all these security issues come in
    with the Spammers and alike.

    The most practical thing you can do is set-up a mail rule to block his
    emails. Or, just simply delete them as if they were Spam without opening
    them. If you are sure about who this person is, you can collect all his
    emails, and forward them to the authorities to enforce charges against the
    person sending. If you are in error, be prepared for possible expensive
    legal retaliation.

    I work for a company, and we get all kinds of emails. We have extensive in
    house Spam filtering, and there are some that will always get through a few
    times, until we figure out how to block them.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg
    ===========

    "Ray" <> wrote in message
    I've been getting abusive emails which I'm pretty sure are from a
    disgruntled customer, sent via a now defunct yahoo account. Whilst I can
    Jerry G., Feb 20, 2004

  3. If he has closed his dial-up account, then he shouldn't be able to send via that ISP.

    You need to complain to the owner of the SMTP mail server where the message entered the
    Internet. If the message is coming from one of their customers, then they can track down
    who that is from the full message headers.

    If it's not one of their customers, then they have an "open relay" SMTP mail server.
    That's an invitation to spammers. In that case, report the SMTP owner to your ISP who
    should look into blocking all mail from that source.

    Michael Santovec, Feb 21, 2004