    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Sep 3, 2004

  2. Hairy One Kenobi

    Moe Trin Guest

    In article <eD_Zc.318$>, Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
    >Just to start - I'm *not* confusing ICMP with TCP/UDP ;o)
    >
    >There was a tool mentioned a while back that hopped from device to device in
    >the same way as an ICMP traceroute.

    Your subject says "Tracert" which is the ICMP echo only windoze version.
    The original Unix 'traceroute' from Van Jacobson was UDP, and then added
    ICMP.

    [compton ~]$ whatis tcptraceroute
    tcptraceroute (8) - A traceroute implementation using TCP packets
    [compton ~]$

    I imagine that's what you want, There doesn't appear to be a windoze
    version, although you _might_ be able to compile this under Cygwin
    (though I suspect finding a windoze version of the libraries it depends on
    may be a major problem). I can see several versions suitable for Linux
    (and possibly *BSD) on sunsite.

    Looking at the man page, it looks _very_ versatile, but it is limited
    to TCP packets. For ICMP or UDP, you still need the UNIX version of
    traceroute. If you needed to do more, maybe something like netcat or
    hping would be interesting, though using those tools would require a
    heck of a lot more knowledge. Again, both of those appear to be UNIX
    only.

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Sep 3, 2004

  3. You might want to repost this query in...

    comp.protocols.tcp-ip

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Sep 4, 2004
  4. Hairy One Kenobi

    Chuck Guest

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:48:58 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    >Just to start - I'm *not* confusing ICMP with TCP/UDP ;o)
    >
    >There was a tool mentioned a while back that hopped from device to device in
    >the same way as an ICMP traceroute.
    >
    >Can anyone remember what it's called, or knows of any other examples (with
    >source would be even better ;o)
    >
    >What I'm trying to do is locate a broken router/whatever when something goes
    >wrong with a connection - nothing sinister.

    Try PingPlotter <http://www.pingplotter.com/>.

    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Sep 5, 2004