    router2.whatever.com x x x
    router3.whatever.com x x x
    router4.whatever.com x x x
    deech, Jan 31, 2007

  2. deech

    CK Guest

    For this router should have a FQDN

    CK, Jan 31, 2007

  3. deech

    deech Guest

    actually adding to this thread. does anyone have a best practive for naming
    interfaces in dns? i am trying to come up with standard here just some ideas
    would be appreciated. at first i was just thinking of the loopback, but
    those are not reported in a trace (i believe), i want to see some meaningful
    inside interfaces names.

    tx.

    deech, Feb 1, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    deech <> wrote:
    >actually adding to this thread. does anyone have a best practive for naming
    >interfaces in dns? i am trying to come up with standard here just some ideas
    >would be appreciated. at first i was just thinking of the loopback, but
    >those are not reported in a trace (i believe), i want to see some meaningful
    >inside interfaces names.

    For our interfaces that had very specific purposes (e.g., link to the
    firewall), I tended to use functional names. For the other interfaces,
    I -could- have named them according to what they were aggregating,
    but in practice I found it more useful to name the interfaces according
    to the last octet of the MAC address, because if I ever saw those IPs,
    I would likely be chasing something fairly low level that I would see
    the MAC on before managing to catch an IP.

    Actually, I'm distorting cause and effect a bit: more accurate is that
    for each router and switch port, I put the associated MAC in the
    ethers file (switches that partake of Spanning Tree must have distinct
    MACs for each port); I also had the practice of entering each ethers
    entry into the hosts file, assigning an otherwise unused IP address
    as a place-holder for any device port that wasn't assigned an IP.
    That's partly because my hosts file was really a textual database,
    with structured comments holding the MAC address and various other
    points of interest; I had various programs that processed the
    structured information in the hosts file, such as my routines that
    were SNMP probing the routers and switches to determine whether any
    unexpected new devices had appeared.
    Walter Roberson, Feb 1, 2007
  5. In article <>,
    "deech" <> wrote:

    > actually adding to this thread. does anyone have a best practive for naming
    > interfaces in dns? i am trying to come up with standard here just some ideas
    > would be appreciated. at first i was just thinking of the loopback, but
    > those are not reported in a trace (i believe), i want to see some meaningful
    > inside interfaces names.

    When I was at BBN Planet/GTE Internetworking/Genuity/Level(3), we used
    names like <interface>.<pop>.bbnplanet.net.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Feb 2, 2007
  6. deech

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <>,
    Barry Margolin <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "deech" <> wrote:
    >
    > > actually adding to this thread. does anyone have a best practive for naming
    > > interfaces in dns? i am trying to come up with standard here just some
    > > ideas
    > > would be appreciated. at first i was just thinking of the loopback, but
    > > those are not reported in a trace (i believe), i want to see some
    > > meaningful
    > > inside interfaces names.

    > When I was at BBN Planet/GTE Internetworking/Genuity/Level(3), we used
    > names like <interface>.<pop>.bbnplanet.net.

    Same here. Things like vlan100.oc5.net.ed.ac.uk for a L3 i/f on a L3
    switch, otherwise things like this for interfaces on real routers:

    lo0.map-gw3.net.ed.ac.uk
    fa0-0.map-gw3.net.ed.ac.uk
    s1-0.map-gw3.net.ed.ac.uk
    s1-1.map-gw3.net.ed.ac.uk.
    etc.

    We decided not to spell out the whole interface type, just go for the
    minimum abbreviation (which has changed over the years) and try to do
    the right thing changing "/" and "." into "-". You don't have to change
    "." of course but if you do it stops the sub-i/f looking like some part
    of the DNS hierarchy.

    Sam
    Sam Wilson, Feb 2, 2007