    =======
    fredman
    =======

    fredman, Jun 10, 2004

  2. fredman

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "fredman" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > This was a surprise release for me as it was only announced a month or
    > so ago, but can any other fans of this (if there are any) tell me
    > whether or not the Stone's "Paint it Black" was the main theme for
    > this series beginning with season one, or later? Of course it's not
    > on the disc, but that shouldn't be surprising; I am sure the rights
    > for the song would have prohibited production of the disc due to the
    > cost.

    The song was removed from the opening credits during the show's
    syndication run due to licensing costs. The DVD is mastered from that
    version.

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 10, 2004

  3. fredman

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <gHPxc.19873$>,
    Joshua Zyber <> wrote:

    > "fredman" <> wrote in message
    > > This was a surprise release for me as it was only announced a month or
    > > so ago, but can any other fans of this (if there are any) tell me
    > > whether or not the Stone's "Paint it Black" was the main theme for
    > > this series beginning with season one, or later? Of course it's not
    > > on the disc, but that shouldn't be surprising; I am sure the rights
    > > for the song would have prohibited production of the disc due to the
    > > cost.

    > The song was removed from the opening credits during the show's
    > syndication run due to licensing costs. The DVD is mastered from that
    > version.

    Weren't they using a cover of the song anyways? I seem to remember the
    local tv critic saying the theme music didn't have the same edge as the
    Stone's original.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Jun 10, 2004
  4. fredman

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <090620042259374912%>,
    says...
    > In article <gHPxc.19873$>,
    > Joshua Zyber <> wrote:
    >
    > > "fredman" <> wrote in message
    > > > This was a surprise release for me as it was only announced a month or
    > > > so ago, but can any other fans of this (if there are any) tell me
    > > > whether or not the Stone's "Paint it Black" was the main theme for
    > > > this series beginning with season one, or later? Of course it's not
    > > > on the disc, but that shouldn't be surprising; I am sure the rights
    > > > for the song would have prohibited production of the disc due to the
    > > > cost.

    > > The song was removed from the opening credits during the show's
    > > syndication run due to licensing costs. The DVD is mastered from that
    > > version.
    > >

    > Weren't they using a cover of the song anyways? I seem to remember the
    > local tv critic saying the theme music didn't have the same edge as the
    > Stone's original.

    I don't think so. If so, it was the Stones themselves covering it.

    This confirms my memory:
    http://tourofduty.de/backinfo.php

    Maybe the reviewer was talking about the later theme.

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

    Dale Hicks, Jun 10, 2004
  5. fredman

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Invid Fan" <> wrote in message
    > Weren't they using a cover of the song anyways? I seem to remember the
    > local tv critic saying the theme music didn't have the same edge as

    the
    > Stone's original.

    It's been so long that my memory of it surely cannot be trusted, but I
    remember it as being the original Stones version.

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 10, 2004
  6. fredman

    jayembee Guest

    fredman <> wrote:

    > This was a surprise release for me as it was only announced
    > a month or so ago, but can any other fans of this (if there
    > are any) tell me whether or not the Stone's "Paint it Black"
    > was the main theme for this series beginning with season one,
    > or later?

    It was definitely the main theme right from the git-go.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jun 10, 2004
  7. fredman

    G. Bates Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message news:<gHPxc.19873$>...
    > "fredman" <> wrote in message
    > > This was a surprise release for me as it was only announced a month or
    > > so ago, but can any other fans of this (if there are any) tell me
    > > whether or not the Stone's "Paint it Black" was the main theme for
    > > this series beginning with season one, or later? Of course it's not
    > > on the disc, but that shouldn't be surprising; I am sure the rights
    > > for the song would have prohibited production of the disc due to the
    > > cost.

    > The song was removed from the opening credits during the show's
    > syndication run due to licensing costs. The DVD is mastered from that
    > version.

    There is also music missing from the episodes. I rented a disk that
    had a few episodes that I already had along with the 2 I didn't have
    from season 1 and during the episode USO Down, when one of the
    characters thinks he is imagining seeing one of the girls from the USO
    show, it plays "Just My Imagination" during the original broadcast.

    GB

    G. Bates, Jun 11, 2004
  8. fredman

    fredman Guest

    On 10 Jun 2004 16:58:12 -0700, (G. Bates) wrote:

    >"Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message news:<gHPxc.19873$>...
    >> "fredman" <> wrote in message
    >> > This was a surprise release for me as it was only announced a month or
    >> > so ago, but can any other fans of this (if there are any) tell me
    >> > whether or not the Stone's "Paint it Black" was the main theme for
    >> > this series beginning with season one, or later? Of course it's not
    >> > on the disc, but that shouldn't be surprising; I am sure the rights
    >> > for the song would have prohibited production of the disc due to the
    >> > cost.

    >> The song was removed from the opening credits during the show's
    >> syndication run due to licensing costs. The DVD is mastered from that
    >> version.

    >There is also music missing from the episodes. I rented a disk that
    >had a few episodes that I already had along with the 2 I didn't have
    >from season 1 and during the episode USO Down, when one of the
    >characters thinks he is imagining seeing one of the girls from the USO
    >show, it plays "Just My Imagination" during the original broadcast.
    >
    >GB

    Yeah, I seem to remember authentic sound bytes of '60s and '70s stuff
    featured in a few episodes, but I'm not expecting to hear any of it.
    I don't know which is worse, replacing it with the series soundtrack
    music, or having the songs redone by 'the replacements' - those cheap
    sound-alikes that sound anything but... but I'm still surprised that
    this was released at all. Thanks to all who replied.
    regards,

    =======
    fredman
    =======