    Cheers,

    Mike

    , Nov 1, 2006

  2. Richard Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm looking at making a homebrew/hobbyist touchscreen based music
    > control panel, most likely running some linux distro.
    >
    > Has anyone here attempted something similar to this before? Any advice
    > for those starting out?
    >
    > I'm particuarly interested in the best place to get a touchscreen from
    > (probably 12" or less), and if you know of places that sell old ones
    > second hand for cheap? (It's only a hobby thing so I don't want to
    > spend too much money on it). Also do you think it's better to have a PC
    > integrated into the touchscreen, or place it in another case (ITX or
    > such).

    Look for an old point of sale computer. I got one for $280 with a
    cashdraw, old eftpos terminal and a bust external modem.

    10 gig laptop drive, touchscreen etc in a desktop fancy case - old slow
    s370 celeron however, and shocking onboard audio but has usb.

    Richard, Nov 1, 2006

  3. Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Look for an old point of sale computer. I got one for $280 with a
    > cashdraw, old eftpos terminal and a bust external modem.

    Cool. Where did you end up finding one? I'm looking around grays online
    and keeping my eye out for anything there, but is there anywhere else
    off the top of your head?

    , Nov 1, 2006
  4. Craig Shore Guest

    On 31 Oct 2006 18:56:36 -0800, wrote:

    >I'm looking at making a homebrew/hobbyist touchscreen based music
    >control panel, most likely running some linux distro.
    >
    >Has anyone here attempted something similar to this before? Any advice
    >for those starting out?
    >
    >I'm particuarly interested in the best place to get a touchscreen from
    >(probably 12" or less), and if you know of places that sell old ones
    >second hand for cheap? (It's only a hobby thing so I don't want to
    >spend too much money on it). Also do you think it's better to have a PC
    >integrated into the touchscreen, or place it in another case (ITX or
    >such).

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Monitors/LCD-Monitors/auction-76005747.htm

    It's only the touch screen part, need a 12 inch screen (LCD or whatever) to go
    underneath it.

    $100 buy now.

    Craig Shore, Nov 1, 2006
  5. Richard Guest

    wrote:
    > Richard wrote:

    > Cool. Where did you end up finding one? I'm looking around grays online
    > and keeping my eye out for anything there, but is there anywhere else
    > off the top of your head?

    Thats where I got it :)

    Richard, Nov 1, 2006