    Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
    permissions. The Semaphore timeout period has expired.". Would somebody
    please tell me how to make this work!!!
    Joe, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Joe

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Joe wrote:

    > Could some body PLEASE help me!
    > I have a Windows 98SE PC with an ADSL modem that connects to my computer
    > through a USB port, the modem only has one port on it (no ethernet) and
    > I have a Windows XP Home Edition PC with no internet connection. I have
    > connected them both with a crossover ethernet cable, but I cannot work
    > out how to set up FIle/Printer Sharing.

    You should use a router and forget/avoid the cross over cable stuff. The
    router will allow the connection sharing too along with other benefits.

    You can get a print server and connect it to the router an connect the
    printer to print server (it's network printer) and the one computer doesn't
    need the other computer with a printer attached to print.

    > The Windows 98SE Computer (called N0O6W3) can view the shared files on
    > the Windows XP computer (called DJY6SM1J) but when I double click on the
    > name of the Windows 98 PC on the Windows XP PC it says "\\N0o6w3 is not
    > accesible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
    > Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
    > permissions. The Semaphore timeout period has expired.". Would somebody
    > please tell me how to make this work!!!

    The one thing you might want to try is match the services and protocol on
    the NIC(s) on both machines. If netbeui is on the NIC for the 98 machine,
    you might want to remove it and see what happens.

    The link might help.

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 1, 2005