    correct, the problem appears with Total Commander only, it's 6.54a not
    registered.
    On another PC with windows server 2003 the problem does not appear.

    Mike, Nov 7, 2006

  2. That's because Total Commander is a 32-bit application. Windows x64 Editions

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 7, 2006

  3. That's because Total Commander is a 32-bit application. x64 Editions of
    Windows have two directory structures here: Windows\System32, and
    Windows\SysWOW64. 32-bit applications see the SysWOW64 structure as
    System32. This redirection is the same as what happens in the registry -
    there is a WOW64 node in the registry that is what a 32-bit application will
    see in HKLM.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 7, 2006
  4. Charlie:
    You are quite right.
    I know of an x64 file explorer from these guys:
    http://www.speedproject.de/enu/
    which is called Speedcommander
    (http://www.speedproject.de/enu/speedcommander/index.html).
    This one works in Windows x64 as a native x64 app and has proper access to
    the system32 folder.
    Might also be the solution for the OP in Vista x64.
    I have not seen so far any Vista x64 native file manager.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 7, 2006
  5. Mike

    Dshai Guest

    Good call Carlos, nice program...;o)

    Dshai, Nov 7, 2006
  6. I'll have to look at it, Carlos. Though I've never been quite sure why
    anyone would want a third party Explorer. Well, until Vista. For that? I can
    definitely see the need.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 7, 2006
  7. Mike

    John Barnes Guest

    So far, with Vista I can see the need for a third party Explorer and Search.
    Just can't get used to either to where they help and not hinder.

    John Barnes, Nov 7, 2006
  8. Charlie:
    Keyboard die-hards would look for third party explorers.
    The one mentioned in my post uses the same keystrokes of the old Norton
    Commander.
    I use Ztreewin x86 which uses the same sequence that Xtree.
    I NEVER use windows explorer except when launching x64 apps (not quite often).
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 8, 2006
  9. Mike

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "Carlos" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Charlie:
    > You are quite right.
    > I know of an x64 file explorer from these guys:
    > http://www.speedproject.de/enu/
    > which is called Speedcommander
    > (http://www.speedproject.de/enu/speedcommander/index.html).
    > This one works in Windows x64 as a native x64 app and has proper access to
    > the system32 folder.
    > Might also be the solution for the OP in Vista x64.
    > I have not seen so far any Vista x64 native file manager.

    It is possible to use FarManager with plugin that disables
    file system redirector:

    http://www.farmanager.com/
    http://plugring.farmanager.com/cgi-bin/downld.cgi?Lang=Eng&Draw=List&Select=Author&SelectAuthor=254

    Regards, Roman

    roman modic, Nov 8, 2006
  10. Mike

    Mike Guest

    roman modic wrote:
    > It is possible to use FarManager with plugin that disables
    > file system redirector:

    I just need the same for TotalCommander

    Mike, Nov 8, 2006
  11. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > I'll have to look at it, Carlos. Though I've never been quite sure why
    > anyone would want a third party Explorer.

    The Multiple File Renaming Tool would be enough to make me use
    TotalCommander, not to mention all other features.

    BTW, as I can "cd etc" to see my hosts file, is there a way to see the
    system32/drivers real contents from 32bit apps? I see cmd itself gives
    you different results, but is there a way in 32bit mode to show the
    64bit version of the dir ?

    Mike, Nov 8, 2006
  12. Ah, multiple file renaming. I do that from the command line. :)

    Fact is, I do a lot of what I need to do from the command line. Either cmd,
    or PowerShell, or Korn Shell (from the Subsystem for UNIX Applications, aka,
    Interix)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 8, 2006
  13. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > Ah, multiple file renaming. I do that from the command line. :)
    >
    > Fact is, I do a lot of what I need to do from the command line. Either cmd,
    > or PowerShell, or Korn Shell (from the Subsystem for UNIX Applications, aka,
    > Interix)

    it's easy for me too, for frequently used operations, but I avoid
    wasting a lot of time when I've to mange operations that rarely happens
    to be done, I prefer spending my time on my own job.

    Btw, how to list Drivers dir within 32bit?

    Mike, Nov 8, 2006
  14. No idea. Probably can't. Reason number 273 why you shouldn't use a 32bit
    shell on a 64bit OS. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64