    It will less drama than getting permission to hack up a ceiling and run a 30m
    cable ;-)

    Cheers

    Andrew W, Aug 2, 2005

  2. Andrew W

    PAM. Guest

    "Andrew W" <> wrote in message
    > What would be needed to network 2 PCs via wireless (1xXP home, 1xXP Pro),

    just 2
    > cards such as: http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=338831
    > or is there another piece to the puzzle?
    >
    > It will less drama than getting permission to hack up a ceiling and run a

    30m
    > cable ;-)

    I would fo for the 2 cards and a Modem/router/Wireless Access Point
    (all-in-one) box too. That is, if you have ADSL. If not, Just a WAP.

    I have separate Modem, Router & WAP as mine is quite old but I asked the
    people at Ascent a while ago what I should do and they suggested that I get
    all the same company parts because you know they've tested them together.
    Allthough the products should adhere to standards, sometimes some card may
    not work with a WAP or Router with modem...etc.

    PAM.

    PAM., Aug 2, 2005

  3. Andrew W

    Andrew W Guest

    On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 12:02:13 +1200, "PAM." <> wrote:

    >"Andrew W" <> wrote in message
    >> What would be needed to network 2 PCs via wireless (1xXP home, 1xXP Pro),

    >just 2
    >> cards such as: http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=338831
    >> or is there another piece to the puzzle?
    >>
    >> It will less drama than getting permission to hack up a ceiling and run a

    >30m
    >> cable ;-)

    >I would fo for the 2 cards and a Modem/router/Wireless Access Point
    >(all-in-one) box too. That is, if you have ADSL. If not, Just a WAP.
    >
    >I have separate Modem, Router & WAP as mine is quite old but I asked the
    >people at Ascent a while ago what I should do and they suggested that I get
    >all the same company parts because you know they've tested them together.
    >Allthough the products should adhere to standards, sometimes some card may
    >not work with a WAP or Router with modem...etc.
    >
    >PAM.

    So is the WAP vital? One PC is on dialup, and the other won't have net access.
    Basically all that's wanted is file sharing between the 2 PCs.

    Andrew W, Aug 2, 2005
  4. Andrew W

    PAM. Guest

    "Andrew W" <> wrote in message

    > So is the WAP vital? One PC is on dialup, and the other won't have net

    access.
    > Basically all that's wanted is file sharing between the 2 PCs.

    ....er.....er.....um.... I would have said yes but I think I remember
    something about just being able to use cards. When I started I was looking
    everywhere on the 'net on how to set up a wi-fi home system. They all seemed
    to mention WAPs. I would suggest using one but I'm sure there'll be others
    who could tell you to flick this and tweak that and presto!

    I think if you just have 2 PC's then cards are finr, IIRC. If you have more
    then a WAP is essential (for wireless option).

    PAM.

    PAM., Aug 2, 2005
  5. Andrew W

    shannon Guest

    On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:56:56 +1200, Andrew W wrote:

    > What would be needed to network 2 PCs via wireless (1xXP home, 1xXP Pro), just 2
    > cards such as: http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=338831
    > or is there another piece to the puzzle?
    >
    > It will less drama than getting permission to hack up a ceiling and run a 30m
    > cable ;-)
    >
    > Cheers

    2c
    Use an access point / router
    (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=113527) and one card for
    convenience. Otherwise you will have to leave the one PC on permanently
    for the other to connect online.
    This gives you options where to site the access point for best
    performance. And you can connect other pcs or pdas which you can't do if
    all you have is an adhoc connection.

    shannon, Aug 2, 2005
  6. Andrew W

    shannon Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:56:56 +1200, Andrew W wrote:
    >

    >>What would be needed to network 2 PCs via wireless (1xXP home, 1xXP Pro), just 2
    >>cards such as: http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=338831
    >>or is there another piece to the puzzle?
    >>
    >>It will less drama than getting permission to hack up a ceiling and run a 30m
    >>cable ;-)
    >>
    >>Cheers

    > 2c
    > Use an access point / router
    > (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=113527) and one card for
    > convenience. Otherwise you will have to leave the one PC on permanently
    > for the other to connect online.
    > This gives you options where to site the access point for best
    > performance. And you can connect other pcs or pdas which you can't do if
    > all you have is an adhoc connection.

    Heres a good deal
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/showcase.asp

    shannon, Aug 2, 2005
  7. Andrew W

    shannon Guest

    Andrew W wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 12:02:13 +1200, "PAM." <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Andrew W" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>What would be needed to network 2 PCs via wireless (1xXP home, 1xXP Pro),

    >>just 2
    >>
    >>>cards such as: http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=338831
    >>>or is there another piece to the puzzle?
    >>>
    >>>It will less drama than getting permission to hack up a ceiling and run a

    >>30m
    >>
    >>>cable ;-)

    >>I would fo for the 2 cards and a Modem/router/Wireless Access Point
    >>(all-in-one) box too. That is, if you have ADSL. If not, Just a WAP.
    >>
    >>I have separate Modem, Router & WAP as mine is quite old but I asked the
    >>people at Ascent a while ago what I should do and they suggested that I get
    >>all the same company parts because you know they've tested them together.
    >>Allthough the products should adhere to standards, sometimes some card may
    >>not work with a WAP or Router with modem...etc.
    >>
    >>PAM.

    > So is the WAP vital? One PC is on dialup, and the other won't have net access.
    > Basically all that's wanted is file sharing between the 2 PCs.

    You can certainly do that with an adhoc connection between 2 cards.

    shannon, Aug 2, 2005
  8. "Andrew W" wrote:

    >So is the WAP vital? One PC is on dialup, and the other won't have net access.
    >Basically all that's wanted is file sharing between the 2 PCs.

    No, a WAP isn't essential, although it does limit how you can set up
    the wireless network. Two wireless ethernet adaptors, one in each PC,
    can be set up in ad-hoc mode

    Do I need an access point?
    An 802.11b wireless network adapter can operate in two modes, Ad-Hoc
    and Infrastructure. In infrastructure mode, all your traffic passes
    through a wireless ‘access point’. In Ad-hoc mode your computers talk
    directly to each other and do not need an access point at all.
    http://www.homenethelp.com/802.11b/index.asp

    Sharing an internet connection, as well as file and printer sharing,
    will be possible under that set-up, even with dial-up.

    ka kite
    Steve

    Steve Marshall, Aug 2, 2005
  9. Andrew W

    Andrew W Guest

    On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 13:19:24 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >shannon wrote:
    >> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:56:56 +1200, Andrew W wrote:
    >>

    >>>What would be needed to network 2 PCs via wireless (1xXP home, 1xXP Pro), just 2
    >>>cards such as: http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=338831
    >>>or is there another piece to the puzzle?
    >>>
    >>>It will less drama than getting permission to hack up a ceiling and run a 30m
    >>>cable ;-)
    >>>
    >>>Cheers

    >> 2c
    >> Use an access point / router
    >> (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=113527) and one card for
    >> convenience. Otherwise you will have to leave the one PC on permanently
    >> for the other to connect online.
    >> This gives you options where to site the access point for best
    >> performance. And you can connect other pcs or pdas which you can't do if
    >> all you have is an adhoc connection.

    >Heres a good deal
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/showcase.asp

    Thanks for the info everyone. Those are out of stock at the mo :(

    Would this gear fit the bill?

    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=12&l2=42&l3=137&model=50&modelmenu=1
    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=12&l2=41&l3=0&model=60&modelmenu=1

    Andrew W, Aug 2, 2005
  10. Andrew W

    shannon Guest

    Andrew W wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 13:19:24 +1200, shannon <> wrote:
    >

    >>shannon wrote:

    >>>2c
    >>>Use an access point / router
    >>>(http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=113527) and one card for
    >>>convenience. Otherwise you will have to leave the one PC on permanently
    >>>for the other to connect online.
    >>>This gives you options where to site the access point for best
    >>>performance. And you can connect other pcs or pdas which you can't do if
    >>>all you have is an adhoc connection.

    >>Heres a good deal
    >>http://www.ascent.co.nz/showcase.asp

    > Thanks for the info everyone. Those are out of stock at the mo :(
    >
    > Would this gear fit the bill?
    >
    > http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=12&l2=42&l3=137&model=50&modelmenu=1
    > http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=12&l2=41&l3=0&model=60&modelmenu=1

    Yes

    shannon, Aug 2, 2005
  11. Andrew W

    Andrew W Guest

    Update, I got this (sort of) up and running with 2 ASUS cards in Ad-hoc mode.
    But someone neglected to mention a couple of concrete walls, so the signal
    varies between poor and none!

    If an Access Point is put somewhere in the middle, will this help? The signal
    only needs to veer down & left to hit the proposed WAP, and left & down again:

    | PC2|
    D |
    wooden hallway |----------|
    |-----------D----|concrete
    Concrete | ?WAP? | |
    ---------|--------| Door
    |wooden |
    PC1 |

    large open
    doorway

    Andrew W, Aug 17, 2005
  12. Andrew W wrote:
    > Update, I got this (sort of) up and running with 2 ASUS cards in Ad-hoc mode.
    > But someone neglected to mention a couple of concrete walls, so the signal
    > varies between poor and none!
    >
    > If an Access Point is put somewhere in the middle, will this help? The signal
    > only needs to veer down & left to hit the proposed WAP, and left & down again:
    >
    > | PC2|
    > D |
    > wooden hallway |----------|
    > |-----------D----|concrete
    > Concrete | ?WAP? | |
    > ---------|--------| Door
    > |wooden |
    > PC1 |
    > |
    > large open
    > doorway

    Lynksis WAP54G should do it, and with the ability to boost the signal
    with a cracked firmware, it should be fine... if the cards have
    removable antenna, you could just try bigger ones, oh, and try not to
    pass the signal through people, 2.4Ghz doesnt like going through "bodies
    of water" and tends to be reflected.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 17, 2005
  13. Andrew W

    steve Guest

    Andrew W wrote:

    > Update, I got this (sort of) up and running with 2 ASUS cards in Ad-hoc
    > mode. But someone neglected to mention a couple of concrete walls, so the
    > signal varies between poor and none!
    >
    > If an Access Point is put somewhere in the middle, will this help? The
    > signal only needs to veer down & left to hit the proposed WAP, and left &
    > down again:
    >
    > | PC2|
    > D |
    > wooden hallway |----------|
    > Concrete | ?WAP? | |
    > |wooden |
    > PC1 |
    > |
    > large open
    > doorway

    Or buy bigger antennae.......

    I bought the 7dB DSE ones for their cards and my problems went away.

    steve, Aug 17, 2005