total memory available is only 3.3GB with 4GB physical memory under windows 7 64 bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by someone@somewhere.com, May 16, 2010.

  1. Guest

    I had 4GB physical memoryon the PC. With Windows vista 32 bit,
    available memory is shown as 3.3GB. I asked on usenet and was told
    that only under 64 bit windows, will the available memory be 4GB.

    When I upgraded to windows 7, I chosed 64 bit (I did clean install of
    course), but the available memory shown in the system is still 3.3 GB.
    This is show in both task manager under performance->Physical
    memory->total, and 'property of My Computer'->Installed memory
    (4GB/3.3 GB usable)

    Why is this and is there a way to make the full 4GB available?

    It's possible that my video card is using RAM instead of its own video
    RAM. This video card may not have its own memory.

    Now I just replaced a new video card with 512 MB of its own memory,
    the memory available becomes 2.8GB. Again, this is shown in both
    task manager under performance->Physical memory->total, and 'property
    of My Computer'->Installed memory (4GB/2.8 GB usable).

    The PC is Dell Inpirson 530. The only BIOS setting applicable to this
    is:
    DVMT Mode: FIXED, DVMT (DVMT by default)
    DVMT/FIXED Memory Size: 128 MB, 256 MB, MAX (128 MB by default)

    Looked up DVMT on the web, doesn't seem change the setting will help.

    Thanks.
    , May 16, 2010

  2. ray Guest

    Re: total memory available is only 3.3GB with 4GB physical memoryunder windows 7 64 bit

    On Sun, 16 May 2010 09:47:52 -0400, someone wrote:

    > I had 4GB physical memoryon the PC. With Windows vista 32 bit, available
    > memory is shown as 3.3GB. I asked on usenet and was told that only
    > under 64 bit windows, will the available memory be 4GB.

    That's not quite true. Certain server editions of 32 bit MS systems and
    Linux 32 bit systems can address up to 64gb via PAE - assuming the
    hardware cooperates.

    ray, May 16, 2010

  3. This is a BIOS setting . It can be called any of several different things,
    but look for a setting to re-map or offset memory in the BIOS and change it
    to enable the offset. The issue is that peripheral cards and functionality
    need memory addresses and normally these are mapped into the range between
    3-4 GB since 32-bit OS's needed the addresses for these cards to be below
    the 4GB point. With a 64-bit OS, this 4GB limitation is no longer an issue,
    and the memory addresses can be above 4GB, but the BIOS needs to know that
    and make the change.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 16, 2010
  4. Peter Foldes Guest

    As Charlie posted. This has to do with the setting in your Bios. If your Bios is old
    and it does not have that setting for you to change then either find the Update for
    your Bios or if not available change to an Updated one

    --
    Peter

    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Peter Foldes, May 16, 2010
  5. Drew Guest

    First off are you absolutely sure you are running 64bit??

    Drew, May 17, 2010
  6. Re: total memory available is only 3.3GB with 4GB physical memoryunder windows 7 64 bit

    On 17/05/2010 00:31, Drew wrote:

    > First off are you absolutely sure you are running 64bit??
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    >> I had 4GB physical memoryon the PC. With Windows vista 32 bit,
    >> available memory is shown as 3.3GB. I asked on usenet and was told
    >> that only under 64 bit windows, will the available memory be 4GB.
    >>
    >> When I upgraded to windows 7, I chosed 64 bit (I did clean install of
    >> course), but the available memory shown in the system is still 3.3 GB.
    >> This is show in both task manager under performance->Physical
    >> memory->total, and 'property of My Computer'->Installed memory
    >> (4GB/3.3 GB usable)
    >>
    >> Why is this and is there a way to make the full 4GB available?
    >>
    >> It's possible that my video card is using RAM instead of its own video
    >> RAM. This video card may not have its own memory.
    >>
    >> Now I just replaced a new video card with 512 MB of its own memory,
    >> the memory available becomes 2.8GB. Again, this is shown in both
    >> task manager under performance->Physical memory->total, and 'property
    >> of My Computer'->Installed memory (4GB/2.8 GB usable).
    >>
    >> The PC is Dell Inpirson 530. The only BIOS setting applicable to this
    >> is:
    >> DVMT Mode: FIXED, DVMT (DVMT by default)
    >> DVMT/FIXED Memory Size: 128 MB, 256 MB, MAX (128 MB by default)
    >>
    >> Looked up DVMT on the web, doesn't seem change the setting will help.
    >>

    >> Thanks.

    Hello

    I would double check that your running 64bit as the symptons you
    describe say that it isnt.

    on the Globe on the task bar right click on My Computer and select
    properties. And post what it says under System Type.

    Mike

    --
    Regards Mike
    MSCE, CCNA, Network+, A+, RHCE.
    Michael John Ruff, May 17, 2010
  7. Carlos Guest

    RE: total memory available is only 3.3GB with 4GB physical memory unde

    Hi,
    Here's the fix:
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=1&fileid=246767

    As of BIOS 1.0.12 the 4GB RAM issue was solved.
    Here's the changelog:
    Systems: Dell Insprion 530/530s
    Version: 1.0.12
    Build Date: 03/01/2008

    Fixes/Enhancements:
    1. Add support for new Intel CPU.
    2. Update to latest microcodes.
    3. Improve POST time with internal USB Card Reader & Buffalo USB HDD
    combination.
    4. Correct Memory Map for => 4GB configurations

    The latest applicable BIOS is version 1.0.18 (March 2009) and can be found
    here:
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=299050

    Please make sure that these BIOSes match exactly your PC model.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 18, 2010