    Telecom are offering this http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/pay-monthly/mobilebroadband/telecom-v9#plans-pricing but has anyone used this device? Would a 7 inch screen be too small for photo shows sitting opposite someone?

    I'd be grateful for any recommendations or satisfation ratings of members' tablets.

    Jo
    Boppy, Nov 10, 2011

  2. Boppy

    Malcolm Guest

    On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 20:10:41 -0800 (PST)
    Boppy <> wrote:

    > I just need something for giving client presentations so don't want
    > to invest in an iPad.
    >
    > If you have one, do you love it? If you have another brand would you
    > recommend it?
    >
    > Telecom are offering this
    > http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/pay-monthly/mobilebroadband/telecom-v9#plans-pricing
    > but has anyone used this device? Would a 7 inch screen be too small
    > for photo shows sitting opposite someone?
    >
    > I'd be grateful for any recommendations or satisfation ratings of
    > members' tablets.
    >
    > Jo

    Hi
    Just got an ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-B1 awesome device so far;
    http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15559778

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.7-desktop
    Malcolm, Nov 10, 2011

  3. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Yeah that one sounds great. What did you pay for it, if it's not a rude question?

    I'm looking for something in addition to my notebook, not instead of, so am aiming to spend under $600.

    Did you sign up for a 3g plan?
    Boppy, Nov 10, 2011
  4. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <11027231.460.1320898241558.JavaMail.geo-discussion-
    forums@prep8>, , Boppy says...

    > I just need something for giving client presentations so don't want to invest in an iPad.
    >
    > If you have one, do you love it? If you have another brand would you recommend it?
    >
    > Telecom are offering this http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/pay-monthly/mobilebroadband/telecom-v9#plans-pricing but has anyone used this device? Would a 7 inch screen be too small for photo shows sitting opposite someone?
    >
    > I'd be grateful for any recommendations or satisfation ratings of members' tablets.
    >
    > Jo

    I bought one of these...
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/10-1-capacitive-lcd-win-7-ultimate-tablet-
    pc-w-wi-fi-tf-bluetooth-hdmi-camera-2g-ddr3-32g-ssd-65761

    It seems really cool, but I don't know really, what to be doing with it.
    I don't really know why I bought it! :)

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Nov 10, 2011
  5. Boppy

    Kiwiboy Guest

    I have had a 7 inch Android tablet since the start of the year - and
    love it. Its great for movies, pictures, has powerpoint, word excell
    and is brillant for books - the 7 inch format is far better than the
    10 inch for that I think.
    I decided it was time to upgrade my tablet, to a more powerful one
    with new operating systemso have brought this one:
    http://www.merimobiles.com/Ainol_NOVO_7_Android_2_3_8GB_1_5GHz_CPU_Dual_Camer_p/meri0723.htm

    The specs are pretty decent, have been getting great reviews for video
    and 3d gaming etc - front camera is working for skype videos, which is
    not always the case on these chinese tablets and you can not beat the
    price. There is also an active community with help topics and latest
    firmware updates - even Honeycomb coming for it. With postage it was NZ
    $206. Looking at the courier web site, my tablet has arrived in
    Auckland today, I should have it in Christchurch in the next day or so
    - so it was delivered from China within a week.
    I would definitly recommend getting an android tablet - great price,
    can do everything an ipad can do, plus more (has flash on the internet
    sites), even if you use it simply as a book reader its worth it.
    Cheers
    Kiwiboy, Nov 10, 2011
  6. Boppy

    Donchano Guest

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:21:40 +1300, Dave Doe <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >In article <11027231.460.1320898241558.JavaMail.geo-discussion-
    >forums@prep8>, , Boppy says...
    >>
    >> I just need something for giving client presentations so don't want to invest in an iPad.
    >>
    >> If you have one, do you love it? If you have another brand would you recommend it?
    >>
    >> Telecom are offering this http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/pay-monthly/mobilebroadband/telecom-v9#plans-pricing but has anyone used this device? Would a 7 inch screen be too small for photo shows sitting opposite someone?
    >>
    >> I'd be grateful for any recommendations or satisfation ratings of members' tablets.
    >>
    >> Jo

    >I bought one of these...
    >http://www.dealextreme.com/p/10-1-capacitive-lcd-win-7-ultimate-tablet-
    >pc-w-wi-fi-tf-bluetooth-hdmi-camera-2g-ddr3-32g-ssd-65761
    >
    >It seems really cool, but I don't know really, what to be doing with it.
    >I don't really know why I bought it! :)

    Link that wraps (in a genuine newsreader):

    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/10-1-c...f-bluetooth-hdmi-camera-2g-ddr3-32g-ssd-65761
    Donchano, Nov 10, 2011
  7. Boppy

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 20:46:40 -0800 (PST), Boppy

    NZD770.00 + GST from www.pbtech.co.nz.
    Donchano, Nov 10, 2011
  8. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    d, Donchano says...

    > On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:21:40 +1300, Dave Doe <> shouted
    > from the highest rooftop:
    >
    > >In article <11027231.460.1320898241558.JavaMail.geo-discussion-
    > >forums@prep8>, , Boppy says...
    > >>
    > >> I just need something for giving client presentations so don't want to invest in an iPad.
    > >>
    > >> If you have one, do you love it? If you have another brand would you recommend it?
    > >>
    > >> Telecom are offering this http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/pay-monthly/mobilebroadband/telecom-v9#plans-pricing but has anyone used this device? Would a 7 inch screen be too small for photo shows sitting opposite someone?
    > >>
    > >> I'd be grateful for any recommendations or satisfation ratings of members' tablets.
    > >>
    > >> Jo

    > >I bought one of these...
    > >http://www.dealextreme.com/p/10-1-capacitive-lcd-win-7-ultimate-tablet-
    > >pc-w-wi-fi-tf-bluetooth-hdmi-camera-2g-ddr3-32g-ssd-65761
    > >
    > >It seems really cool, but I don't know really, what to be doing with it.
    > >I don't really know why I bought it! :)

    > Link that wraps (in a genuine newsreader):
    >
    > http://www.dealextreme.com/p/10-1-c...f-bluetooth-hdmi-camera-2g-ddr3-32g-ssd-65761

    Or courser it does - this too, if you still can't get it...
    http://tinyurl.com/5tka9ot

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Nov 10, 2011
  9. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Did you a) install Office or b) plug in a t-stick for wifi?
    Boppy, Nov 10, 2011
  10. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <yourname-1111110849300001@203-118-184-
    185.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz>, , Your Name says...

    > In article <-september.org>, Dave
    > Doe <> wrote:
    > >

    > <snip>
    > >
    > > It seems really cool, but I don't know really, what to be doing with it.
    > > I don't really know why I bought it! :)

    > That statement cover about 90% of people buying tablets. For most people
    > it's simply the latest "must have" toy on the block. :)

    Yup! :(

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Nov 11, 2011
  11. Boppy

    JohnO Guest

    On Nov 11, 1:48 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <yourname-1111110849300001@203-118-184-
    > 185.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz>, , Your Name says...
    >

    > > In article <-september.org>, Dave
    > > Doe <> wrote:

    > > <snip>

    > > > It seems really cool, but I don't know really, what to be doing with it.
    > > > I don't really know why I bought it! :)

    > > That statement cover about 90% of people buying tablets. For most people
    > > it's simply the latest "must have" toy on the block.  :)

    > Yup! :(
    >
    > --
    > Duncan.

    They make a great mobile email client and a pretty good mobile web
    client. Both activities are very awkward on smartphones for all but
    the most brief email or quick web page.

    They are also great for ebooks.

    In other words, a cool toy but most can live without one unless yoy
    travel and spend a lot of time away from home and office and don't
    want to be lugging your laptop everywhere.
    JohnO, Nov 11, 2011
  12. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <ef4fed90-3593-4b8f-8c31-97e9981dddd8
    @f3g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, , JohnO says...

    > On Nov 11, 1:48 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > In article <yourname-1111110849300001@203-118-184-
    > > 185.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz>, , Your Name says...
    > >

    > > > In article <-september.org>, Dave
    > > > Doe <> wrote:

    > > > <snip>

    > > > That statement cover about 90% of people buying tablets. For most people
    > > > it's simply the latest "must have" toy on the block.  :)

    > > Yup! :(
    > >
    > > --
    > > Duncan.

    > They make a great mobile email client and a pretty good mobile web
    > client. Both activities are very awkward on smartphones for all but
    > the most brief email or quick web page.
    >
    > They are also great for ebooks.
    >
    > In other words, a cool toy but most can live without one unless yoy
    > travel and spend a lot of time away from home and office and don't
    > want to be lugging your laptop everywhere.

    Yeah, those and Skype - it's a *reasonably* compact comms tool.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Nov 11, 2011
  13. Boppy

    Your Name Guest

    In article
    <>, JohnO
    <> wrote:
    > On Nov 11, 1:48=A0pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > In article <yourname-1111110849300001@203-118-184-
    > > 185.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz>, , Your Name says...
    > > > In article <-september.org>,
    > > > Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > <snip>

    > > > That statement covers about 90% of people buying tablets. For most
    > > > people it's simply the latest "must have" toy on the block. :)

    > > Yup! :(

    > They make a great mobile email client and a pretty good mobile web
    > client. Both activities are very awkward on smartphones for all but
    > the most brief email or quick web page.
    >
    > They are also great for ebooks.
    >
    > In other words, a cool toy but most can live without one unless yoy
    > travel and spend a lot of time away from home and office and don't
    > want to be lugging your laptop everywhere.

    Realistically there's little difference between a tablet and a good light
    notebooks / Mac Book Air style laptops ... EXCEPT that the touchscreen
    interface is easier for most people to use than laptop trackpads (of
    course, those silly little "joysticks" laptops used to have were even
    worse!).

    There is at least one laptop that has a pivoting display you can rotate
    180 degrees and then close over the keyboard to become a tablet.
    Your Name, Nov 11, 2011
  14. On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:54:55 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <ef4fed90-3593-4b8f-8c31-97e9981dddd8
    >@f3g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, , JohnO says...
    >>
    >> On Nov 11, 1:48 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >> > In article <yourname-1111110849300001@203-118-184-
    >> > 185.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz>, , Your Name says...

    >> > Yup! :(
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Duncan.

    >> They make a great mobile email client and a pretty good mobile web
    >> client. Both activities are very awkward on smartphones for all but
    >> the most brief email or quick web page.
    >>
    >> They are also great for ebooks.
    >>
    >> In other words, a cool toy but most can live without one unless yoy
    >> travel and spend a lot of time away from home and office and don't
    >> want to be lugging your laptop everywhere.

    >Yeah, those and Skype - it's a *reasonably* compact comms tool.

    Yes but I don't think that Skype will work on a small screen and a Slow
    CPU, it does not work on my HP Netbook with faster Dual core CPU..
    Frank Williams, Nov 11, 2011
  15. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , Frank Williams says...

    > On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:54:55 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <ef4fed90-3593-4b8f-8c31-97e9981dddd8
    > >@f3g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, , JohnO says...

    > >> They make a great mobile email client and a pretty good mobile web
    > >> client. Both activities are very awkward on smartphones for all but
    > >> the most brief email or quick web page.
    > >>
    > >> They are also great for ebooks.
    > >>
    > >> In other words, a cool toy but most can live without one unless yoy
    > >> travel and spend a lot of time away from home and office and don't
    > >> want to be lugging your laptop everywhere.

    > >Yeah, those and Skype - it's a *reasonably* compact comms tool.

    > Yes but I don't think that Skype will work on a small screen and a Slow
    > CPU, it does not work on my HP Netbook with faster Dual core CPU..

    Of course it fuken works - I'd have removed it otherwise. It works
    absolutely flawlessly.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Nov 11, 2011
  16. Boppy

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 11/11/2011 5:22 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:

    >> Yeah, those and Skype - it's a *reasonably* compact comms tool.

    > Yes but I don't think that Skype will work on a small screen and a Slow
    > CPU, it does not work on my HP Netbook with faster Dual core CPU..

    Skype works fine on my Asus Eee PC with a slow CPU. The speed of the
    connection (determined by server and phone network) is the only constraint.
    Gib Bogle, Nov 11, 2011
  17. Boppy

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 11/11/2011 4:32 p.m., Your Name wrote:
    ur laptop everywhere.

    > Realistically there's little difference between a tablet and a good light
    > notebooks / Mac Book Air style laptops ... EXCEPT that the touchscreen
    > interface is easier for most people to use than laptop trackpads (of
    > course, those silly little "joysticks" laptops used to have were even
    > worse!).
    >
    > There is at least one laptop that has a pivoting display you can rotate
    > 180 degrees and then close over the keyboard to become a tablet.

    I'm guessing that my robust Eee PC has a much better life expectancy
    than an iPad (Apple stuff looks nice but is notoriously fragile).
    Gib Bogle, Nov 11, 2011
  18. Boppy

    Donchano Guest

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:22:52 +1300, Frank Williams
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Yes but I don't think that Skype will work on a small screen and a Slow
    >CPU, it does not work on my HP Netbook with faster Dual core CPU..

    Nonsense. Skype works perfectly well on my four year old Toshiba
    laptop without dual core. In fact it works beautifully with a webcam
    as well. Don't blame Skype or your computer.
    Donchano, Nov 11, 2011
  19. On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:42:34 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >, Frank Williams says...
    >>
    >> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:54:55 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <ef4fed90-3593-4b8f-8c31-97e9981dddd8
    >> >@f3g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, , JohnO says...

    >> >Yeah, those and Skype - it's a *reasonably* compact comms tool.

    >> Yes but I don't think that Skype will work on a small screen and a Slow
    >> CPU, it does not work on my HP Netbook with faster Dual core CPU..

    >Of course it fuken works - I'd have removed it otherwise. It works
    >absolutely flawlessly.

    May be you are just dreaming it works..?
    Frank Williams, Nov 11, 2011
  20. On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:56:49 +1300, Gib Bogle <>
    wrote:

    >On 11/11/2011 5:22 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >
    >>> Yeah, those and Skype - it's a *reasonably* compact comms tool.

    >> Yes but I don't think that Skype will work on a small screen and a Slow
    >> CPU, it does not work on my HP Netbook with faster Dual core CPU..

    >Skype works fine on my Asus Eee PC with a slow CPU. The speed of the
    >connection (determined by server and phone network) is the only constraint.

    Not in my Case it stated that the System is to Slow, CPU ? but it will
    work with a much older version of Skype but it stuffs up the Screen
    resolution.

    1.66 GHz Intel Atom N570 is faster than my Intel P4 3.2Gb pc and that
    works ok.

    My connecton speed is around 2000 Mbs cable.

    HP Mini 110-3627tu PC
    Frank Williams, Nov 11, 2011