Toshiba To Launch HD DVD Player In Oct-Dec 2005 In US.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Oct 14, 2004.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://money.iwon.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_r...041012&date=20041012&alias=/alias/money/cm/nw

    Toshiba To Launch HD DVD Player In Oct-Dec 2005 In US

    Tuesday October 12, 2:34 AM EDT

    TOKYO -(Dow Jones)- Toshiba Corp. (6502.TO) said Tuesday it plans to
    begin marketing DVD players in the U.S. using a next-generation DVD
    format in October- December of 2005 at a retail price of $999.

    The group promoting the high-definition, or HD, DVD format expects to
    sell 1 million units of its DVD players worldwide in 2006 and will aim
    to lower the sales price to around $500 that year, a Toshiba spokesman
    said Tuesday.

    Toshiba and NEC Corp. (6701.TO) jointly developed the new DVD format
    as the successor to the current generation of DVDs. Sanyo Electric Co.
    (6764.TO) has also endorsed the new HD DVD format.

    With the price of current DVD players continuing to fall, "it would be
    difficult to win consumer support unless the price (of new HD DVD
    players) is initially below $1,000," the Toshiba spokesman said.

    The race for leadership in the next-generation DVD format is heating
    up. An international group including Sony Corp. (6758.TO) and
    Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. (6752.TO) is promoting a different
    next-generation DVD format called the Blu-ray Disc.

    Sony and Matsushita are ahead of their rivals in introducing Blu-ray
    Disc equipment as they have already released Blu-ray Disc recorders in
    Japan. But the two firms haven't introduced Blu-ray Disc "players"
    because the Blu-ray Disc Association has yet to create a read-only
    disc format. Such a format is required to market DVD movie software.
    Widespread use of movie DVDs is seen as key to spreading the new DVD
    format.

    Sony Senior Vice President Kiyoshi Nishitani said earlier this month
    the electronics and entertainment media giant is preparing to launch
    both Blu-ray DVD players/recorders and movie DVD packages in late
    2005.

    Sanyo is planning to launch its HD DVD player in the autumn of 2005
    and its HD DVD recorder in the fiscal year starting April 2006.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Allan

    Ken Guest

    That doesn't mean our present DVD movies are kaput does it?

    Ken

    "Allan" <> wrote in message

    http://money.iwon.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_r...041012&date=20041012&alias=/alias/money/cm/nw

    > Toshiba To Launch HD DVD Player In Oct-Dec 2005 In US
    >
    > Tuesday October 12, 2:34 AM EDT
    >
    > TOKYO -(Dow Jones)- Toshiba Corp. (6502.TO) said Tuesday it plans to
    > begin marketing DVD players in the U.S. using a next-generation DVD
    > format in October- December of 2005 at a retail price of $999.
    >
    > The group promoting the high-definition, or HD, DVD format expects to
    > sell 1 million units of its DVD players worldwide in 2006 and will aim
    > to lower the sales price to around $500 that year, a Toshiba spokesman
    > said Tuesday.
    >
    > Toshiba and NEC Corp. (6701.TO) jointly developed the new DVD format
    > as the successor to the current generation of DVDs. Sanyo Electric Co.
    > (6764.TO) has also endorsed the new HD DVD format.
    >
    > With the price of current DVD players continuing to fall, "it would be
    > difficult to win consumer support unless the price (of new HD DVD
    > players) is initially below $1,000," the Toshiba spokesman said.
    >
    > The race for leadership in the next-generation DVD format is heating
    > up. An international group including Sony Corp. (6758.TO) and
    > Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. (6752.TO) is promoting a different
    > next-generation DVD format called the Blu-ray Disc.
    >
    > Sony and Matsushita are ahead of their rivals in introducing Blu-ray
    > Disc equipment as they have already released Blu-ray Disc recorders in
    > Japan. But the two firms haven't introduced Blu-ray Disc "players"
    > because the Blu-ray Disc Association has yet to create a read-only
    > disc format. Such a format is required to market DVD movie software.
    > Widespread use of movie DVDs is seen as key to spreading the new DVD
    > format.
    >
    > Sony Senior Vice President Kiyoshi Nishitani said earlier this month
    > the electronics and entertainment media giant is preparing to launch
    > both Blu-ray DVD players/recorders and movie DVD packages in late
    > 2005.
    >
    > Sanyo is planning to launch its HD DVD player in the autumn of 2005
    > and its HD DVD recorder in the fiscal year starting April 2006.
    >

    > "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
    > because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable

    from
    > -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free

    time."

    Ken, Oct 14, 2004