Toshiba to delay HD DVD player launch

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://smh.com.au/news/breaking/toshiba-to-delay-hd-dvd-player-launch/2005/12/14/1134236080080.html

    Toshiba to delay HD DVD player launch

    By Tokyo
    December 14, 2005 - 10:04AM

    Japanese electronics maker Toshiba says copy protection issues would
    delay the Japan launch of the first players supporting its HD DVD
    format, the latest development in the high-stakes battle for the next
    generation of video discs.

    Players will not hit the Japanese market until details of a copy
    protection system for the players were worked out, Toshiba said in a
    statement, reversing its earlier intention to roll out the first
    players in Japan by the end of the year. Toshiba did not give a
    specific release date.

    But the company said it would continue to push for a US launch early
    next year.

    The delay brings the launch of the HD DVD, jointly developed by
    Toshiba and NEC, closer to the expected debut of its main competitor,
    the Blu-ray disc, which is backed by Sony.

    PlayStation 3, Sony's popular next-generation video game console, is
    expected in Japan early next year and will read Blu-ray discs.

    The two formats are incompatible, raising fears of a repeat of the
    VHS-versus-Beta battle over the format for videotape recorders in the
    early 1980s.

    The HD DVD is backed by Universal Studios, NEC, Sanyo and Intel as
    well as Microsoft.

    Blu-ray is backed by Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, and Samsung along
    with a number of other tech companies and studios.

    Warner Brothers has said it would release its films in both formats.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 14, 2005

  2. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    Very old news.

    Alpha, Dec 14, 2005

  3. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    PS

    Blu Ray is expecting to take until June to get the copy protection sorted
    out....then months thereafter to deliver.

    Alpha, Dec 14, 2005
  4. Allan

    kaydigi Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    > PS
    >
    > Blu Ray is expecting to take until June to get the copy protection sorted
    > out....then months thereafter to deliver.

    Are you serious? I thought we were expecting a March (Spring) PS3 Japanese
    launch.

    kaydigi, Dec 14, 2005
  5. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "kaydigi" <> wrote in message

    > "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    >> PS
    >>
    >> Blu Ray is expecting to take until June to get the copy protection sorted
    >> out....then months thereafter to deliver.
    >>

    > Are you serious? I thought we were expecting a March (Spring) PS3 Japanese
    > launch.

    I cannot figure out the conflicting announcements either.

    Alpha, Dec 14, 2005
  6. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "kaydigi" <> wrote in message

    > "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    >> PS
    >>
    >> Blu Ray is expecting to take until June to get the copy protection sorted
    >> out....then months thereafter to deliver.
    >>

    > Are you serious? I thought we were expecting a March (Spring) PS3 Japanese
    > launch.

    I suspect that they will include the hardware, but it won't do much until
    final decisions are made and firmware upgrades activate the drive for video.

    Alpha, Dec 14, 2005
  7. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:58:46 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >"kaydigi" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    >>> PS
    >>>
    >>> Blu Ray is expecting to take until June to get the copy protection sorted
    >>> out....then months thereafter to deliver.
    >>>

    >> Are you serious? I thought we were expecting a March (Spring) PS3 Japanese
    >> launch.
    >>

    >I suspect that they will include the hardware,

    No shit. Hardware will be there.... and you will be able to use it.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 15, 2005
  8. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 00:03:55 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >Very old news.

    Very "old"?

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 15, 2005
  9. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:58:46 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"kaydigi" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Alpha" <> wrote in message

    >>> Are you serious? I thought we were expecting a March (Spring) PS3
    >>> Japanese
    >>> launch.
    >>>

    >>I suspect that they will include the hardware,

    > No shit. Hardware will be there.... and you will be able to use it.

    Not for HD Video initially...I can't see how that can be done without
    standards agreed to.

    Alpha, Dec 16, 2005
  10. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message

    > "Allan" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:58:46 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"kaydigi" <> wrote in message

    >>>I suspect that they will include the hardware,

    >> No shit. Hardware will be there.... and you will be able to use it.

    > Not for HD Video initially...I can't see how that can be done without
    > standards agreed to.

    PS

    The official Blu Ray site lists not a single blu ray commercial player as
    announced, other than the early models already out in Asia.

    Alpha, Dec 16, 2005
  11. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:02:41 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >> Not for HD Video initially...I can't see how that can be done without
    >> standards agreed to.

    >PS
    >
    >The official Blu Ray site lists not a single blu ray commercial player as
    >announced, other than the early models already out in Asia.

    Well other than this one?

    http://www.sdesigns.com/news/press_releases/051212.htm

    Sigma Designs Press Release

    Sigma Designs To Work on Full-Featured Blu-ray Player with Pioneer
    New Player Utilizes Sigma's Industry-leading SMP8630 Family of Media
    Processors

    Milpitas, Calif. - Dec. 12, 2005 - Sigma Designs (Nasdaq: SIGM) today
    announced it will work with Pioneer Corporation (NYSE: PIO) on the
    joint development of a full-featured Blu-ray DVD player using Sigma
    Designs' SMP8630 family of media processors.

    "Pioneer intends to be the first company to offer a high-quality,
    Blu-ray DVD player that contains all the key features expected from a
    consumer product under our brand name," said Russ Johnston, senior
    vice president of marketing and product planning for the home
    entertainment division of Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. "Sigma's
    SMP8630 family of chipsets provides a virtual system-on-chip solution
    for the hardware portion, enabling us to focus on software development
    and value-added features that extend beyond basic operation."

    Blu-ray is the leading standard in the market for next-generation,
    high-definition optical players, based on blue laser disc technology.
    Blu-ray allows consumers to view movies and other programs in high
    definition. In addition, Blu-ray Discs allow consumers to record HD
    programming from a cable, satellite or TV antenna. A Blu-ray Disc
    computer drive enables consumers to store up to 50 gigabytes at a time
    to back up data, photos, portable music files and home videos.

    "Collaborating with Pioneer on an industry-first product was a natural
    relationship for Sigma," said Ken Lowe, vice president of strategic
    marketing, Sigma Designs. "Sigma is dedicated to creating the leading
    chipset for next-generation, high-definition optical players and we
    are excited to be working with such a respected consumer electronics
    company."
    Availability

    Pioneer plans to introduce the new Blu-ray DVD player in the first
    half of 2006.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 18, 2005
  12. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:02:41 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >The official Blu Ray site lists not a single blu ray commercial player as
    >announced, other than the early models already out in Asia.

    http://www.blu-ray.com/

    Nov 29, 2005 - Blu-ray Companies to Reveal Launch Details at CES in
    January
    Blu-ray Disc

    The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) today announced that they will
    unveil specific launch plans for Blu-ray at the Consumer Electronics
    Show (CES) in January. "We're sticking with the spring time frame,"
    said Andy Parsons, a spokesman for Blu-ray, at a demonstration of the
    new high-capacity DVD format. "At CES, you're likely to hear some
    announcements from a number of companies as to when you'll see our
    products on the market," Parsons told a group of analysts, industry
    members and reporters gathered at the product demonstration at News
    Corp.'s 20th Century Fox lot. Members of the Blu-ray camp, including
    executives from Disney, Fox, Sony, Pioneer and Panasonic, attended the
    press briefing on Tuesday to show off Blu-ray's interactive features,
    which enable consumers to play games, connect to the Internet and
    select from various functions, such as subtitles and text, while still
    watching a movie.

    http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...44Z_01_HO028236_RTRUKOC_0_US-MEDIA-BLURAY.xml

    By Sue Zeidler

    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Blu-ray DVD group said on Tuesday it still
    planned to roll out a high-definition disc format in spring 2006,
    though members of the consortium led by Sony Corp. (6758.T: Quote,
    Profile, Research) said they would unveil specific launch plans at the
    Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January.

    "We're sticking with the spring time frame," said Andy Parsons, a
    spokesman for Blu-ray, at a demonstration of the new high-capacity DVD
    format.

    Blu-Ray is vying with a competing format known as HD DVD, championed
    by a group led by Toshiba Corp. (6502.T: Quote, Profile, Research).

    "At CES, you're likely to hear some announcements from a number of
    companies as to when you'll see our products on the market," Parsons
    told a group of analysts, industry members and reporters gathered at
    the product demonstration at News Corp.'s (NWS.N: Quote, Profile,
    Research) 20th Century Fox lot. The show is in Las Vegas.

    Sony's Blu-ray disc technology appears to be the front-runner in the
    multibillion dollar race to develop the next-generation DVDs, which
    movie studios and consumer electronics manufacturers hope will ignite
    sales for the home video sector, which has shown signs of a slowdown
    recently.

    Both formats provide high-definition versions of movies as well as
    interactive features.

    Members of the Blu-ray camp, including executives from Disney Corp.
    (DIS.N: Quote, Profile, Research), Fox, Sony, Pioneer and Panasonic,
    attended the press briefing on Tuesday to show off Blu-ray's
    interactive features, which enable consumers to play games, connect to
    the Internet and select from various functions, such as subtitles and
    text, while still watching a movie.

    Blu-ray has more major movie studios on its side, although some
    industry watchers have said the format will be more expensive to make.
    While HD DVD discs can be made with only minor tweaks to the standard
    DVD manufacturing process, Blu-ray discs require completely different
    equipment.

    Members of the Blu-ray Disc Association consortium have said in the
    past that costs will come down quickly and be almost immediately
    competitive with those of HD DVD.

    The consortium consists of various Hollywood studios, computer makers
    and consumer electronics manufacturers in the United States and
    abroad.

    Executives said on Tuesday the format's flexibility gave them added
    revenue potential by eventually enabling consumers to order films or
    merchandise using the discs

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 18, 2005
  13. In article <>,
    Allan <> wrote:
    >http://smh.com.au/news/breaking/toshiba-to-delay-hd-dvd-player-launch/2005/12/14/1134236080080.html
    >
    >Toshiba to delay HD DVD player launch

    [Lots deleted - wjv]

    >The two formats are incompatible, raising fears of a repeat of the
    >VHS-versus-Beta battle over the format for videotape recorders in the
    >early 1980s.

    Beta and VHS used different sized media. Blu-Ray and HD use the
    same size media but use a different read mechanism.

    An Asian electronics manufacturer - whose name I forget - developed
    a laser reading diode that handles blu-ray, hd-dvd, and CD, with
    essentially 3 different pickups.

    I've lost my link to that but the artics was in Nikkei Asia Online
    site.

    Use google to search for NEAsia. There is a lot to search for and
    if I had not lost my article index I could have pointed it to you
    directly.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Dec 27, 2005