Toshiba Throws in the Towel on HD-DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by T.B., Feb 16, 2008.

  1. T.B.

    T.B. Guest

    T.B., Feb 16, 2008

  2. T.B. wrote:

    > http://www.news.com/Source-Toshiba-to-give-up-on-HD-DVD/2100-1041_3-6230960.html
    >
    > While I like Toshiba as a company much more than Sony, it's somewhat
    > amusing and gratifying to rub this in the face of such trolls

    Toshiba could have settled at any time--
    But they wanted to make it a "pride" issue, and Greek tragedy resulted.

    But at least we know a bit more about Microsoft now than we did before
    it started... -_-

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Feb 16, 2008

  3. T.B.

    Kuskokwim Guest

    Kuskokwim, Feb 17, 2008
  4. Anyone here remember June of 1999 when DIVX threw in the towel?
    There were fervent cheers in this NG then....
    The HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray thing wasn't quite as monumental as the DVD vs DIVX
    issue, but I'm glad Blu-Ray won due to the higher storage capacity.

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Feb 17, 2008
  5. Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:

    >>>Toshiba could have settled at any time--
    >>>But they wanted to make it a "pride" issue, and Greek tragedy resulted.
    >>>

    >>I didn't think these fell under the definition of Greek tragedy:
    >>
    >>http://www.amazon.com/Troy-HD-DVD-Julian-Glover/dp/B000E5KJI4

    (Yuk yuk--For anyone who did stay awake in high school, the "Path of
    pride leads to ruin and disgrace" parallels still hold.)

    > Anyone here remember June of 1999 when DIVX threw in the towel?
    > There were fervent cheers in this NG then....

    June 16, 1999 - the National Starting Pistol.
    Like DiVX, there was a gigantic release of "The coast is clear!", and
    ALL the studios finally came out to play between July and
    September...Oh, Harriet, the release dates.

    (And maybe it was just coincidence that we got the "Yellow Submarine"
    restoration announced within literally weeks of DVD's win, but for the
    sake of providence, we'd like to believe it wasn't.)

    > The HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray thing wasn't quite as monumental as the DVD vs DIVX
    > issue,

    My whole "Toshiba of Thebes" point was to beg to differ:

    DiVX tried to sell themselves, had a won't-take-no corporation on their
    side and certainly raised a song-and-dance, but they didn't turn it into
    a war...There were no bribes, no demonizing, no taking of videogamers
    hostage (PS2 fanboys notwithstanding).
    They just naively thought in their little dreams that we'd go
    Cocoa-Puffs over the whole PPV "Wow, never go to Blockbuster!" appeal
    (yes, you *know* it sounds familiar)--And when they didn't sell,
    shrugged, said, "Okayyy... :( ), took their financial lumps and slumped
    away quietly.

    I've seen Blu threads on forums about whether Toshiba execs should be
    fired or sued, and HD threads about Our Evil Sony Overlords, and why
    Downloads Will Probably Have the Last Laugh Anyway, Nyah, and it puts a
    new perspective on historical feelings between the North and South
    during Reconstruction after the Civil War--
    This wasn't just a product war--It could've been, but somebody decided
    to Reach for Monopoly Greatness, stake their entire future/sacred honor
    on it and push their luck. And it's tragedy for them that they probably
    won't stop paying for it overnight.

    Derek Janssen (nine years, and STILL never set foot in a Circuit City)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 17, 2008
  6. T.B.

    Guest

    On Feb 17, 4:43 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    > I've seen Blu threads on forums about whether Toshiba execs should be
    > fired or sued, and HD threads about Our Evil Sony Overlords, and why
    > Downloads Will Probably Have the Last Laugh Anyway, Nyah,...

    It's only been over the last weekend that I've noticed a distinct
    quieting of the "Well, HD-DVD can make a comeback if we give away
    players in Happy Meals, have a bunch of Buy-One-Get-Six-Free, tell
    people the color blue will give them herpes, and convince Michael Bay
    to release Transformers 2 on HD-DVD sometime next month, even before
    the movie gets made. Yeah, it's curtains for the Blu side!"

    I've got nothing against HD-DVD as a format, but it's over people.
    Let it freakin' go, already...

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com

    , Feb 17, 2008
  7. On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:16:49 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III"
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone here remember June of 1999 when DIVX threw in the towel?
    >There were fervent cheers in this NG then....
    >The HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray thing wasn't quite as monumental as the DVD vs DIVX
    >issue, but I'm glad Blu-Ray won due to the higher, more failure prone storage capacity.

    IFYPFY, you top posting Usenet retard!

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Feb 17, 2008
  8. T.B.

    Bill Guest

    Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:
    > Anyone here remember June of 1999 when DIVX threw in the towel?
    > There were fervent cheers in this NG then....
    > The HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray thing wasn't quite as monumental as the DVD vs DIVX
    > issue, but I'm glad Blu-Ray won due to the higher storage capacity.

    Absolutely...I still remember the monstrous, "Ding! Dong! DIVX is Dead!"
    thread. : )

    Bill, Feb 18, 2008
  9. wrote:
    > On Feb 17, 4:43 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >
    >>I've seen Blu threads on forums about whether Toshiba execs should be
    >>fired or sued, and HD threads about Our Evil Sony Overlords, and why
    >>Downloads Will Probably Have the Last Laugh Anyway, Nyah,...

    > It's only been over the last weekend that I've noticed a distinct
    > quieting of the "Well, HD-DVD can make a comeback if we give away
    > players in Happy Meals, have a bunch of Buy-One-Get-Six-Free, tell
    > people the color blue will give them herpes, and convince Michael Bay
    > to release Transformers 2 on HD-DVD sometime next month, even before
    > the movie gets made. Yeah, it's curtains for the Blu side!"
    >
    > I've got nothing against HD-DVD as a format, but it's over people.
    > Let it freakin' go, already...

    What we had in the HD/Blu Wars was the villain of a *moral* crusade--
    Microsoft thinking we'd all buy Their Format if they could sell it the
    right way, that they could crush the competition like insects if they
    couldn't, and that they could distract us with Pretty Downloads of the
    Future (which they'd still own the coding monopoly on) when that Plan A
    didn't work.

    Granted, there were just as many parallels in the DiVX Wars:
    Circuit City thought we'd all buy Their Format, tried to sell us on
    Easy-Download Appeal when the techs didn't look up to snuff, got Big
    Holywood Directors to tell us all why they thought it was more neat-o,
    and did everything they could to protect the private future monopoly
    they thought they'd be able to corner on hardware sales and PPV-royalties...
    But back then, DiVX seemed more like an annoyance, and Circuit City
    aspiring to be a world-domination 007 villain seemed more like
    "...LO-sers! :p "

    Derek Janssen (heck, even *Apple* vs. Microsoft never got this heated)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 18, 2008
  10. T.B.

    Alpha Guest

    "T.B." <> wrote in message
    > http://www.news.com/Source-Toshiba-to-give-up-on-HD-DVD/2100-1041_3-6230960.html
    >
    > While I like Toshiba as a company much more than Sony, it's somewhat
    > amusing and gratifying to rub this in the face of such trolls like that
    > clown who spammed the HD-DVD crap from shaw.net.
    >
    > T.B.

    Blu Ray has shot itself in the foot...many times. It is now fatal. I have
    no hope that any HD optical will make the slightest dent in the market.

    Alpha, Feb 18, 2008
  11. T.B.

    Winfield Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:

    > What we had in the HD/Blu Wars was the villain of a *moral* crusade--
    > Microsoft thinking we'd all buy Their Format if they could sell it the
    > right way, that they could crush the competition like insects if they
    > couldn't, and that they could distract us with Pretty Downloads of the
    > Future (which they'd still own the coding monopoly on) when that Plan A
    > didn't work.

    What overheated balderdash.

    > Granted, there were just as many parallels in the DiVX Wars:

    You're such a TOOL, Derek. =)

    Blu-Ray is/will turn out to be the modern version of Circuit City's
    DIVX! D'oh.

    winf

    Winfield, Feb 18, 2008
  12. Well I have yet to read any official announcement. The only this I've
    seen are the same old "source who asked not to be identified". I'm one
    of the many who has sat back and waited for a victor before buying a
    HD player. I don't favor either format, IMHO they both fall short. The
    one thing I can be glad of when/if Toshiba pulls out that all the
    bickering over who is better and who is losing will be over.

    Jonathan Brisby, Feb 18, 2008
  13. "Joseph S. Powell, III" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone here remember June of 1999 when DIVX threw in the towel?
    > There were fervent cheers in this NG then....
    > The HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray thing wasn't quite as monumental as the DVD vs DIVX
    > issue, but I'm glad Blu-Ray won due to the higher storage capacity.

    Yes, and it is still mind boggling how much damage Circuit City's DVE
    (Digital Video Express) did to Region 1 DVD in less than a year.

    The DIVX proprietary digital video disk rental system employed the use of
    exclusive titles as its main marketing strategy. Some DIVX titles were not
    available on DVD in any region. However, when DIVX exclusive titles were
    available on DVD only in regions other than Region 1, it could safely be
    assumed that DIVX was to blame.

    As with the DIVX vs. DVD format war, the HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray format war
    involved exclusive titles. The format with the best arsenal of exclusive
    titles would become the winner.

    Eventually, Blu-ray will begin releasing Blu-ray exclusive titles (not
    available on DVD) in order to force the sale of Blu-ray disks and players.
    But that probably won't happen for at least a year.

    Here's the list of DIVX exclusive titles that were unavailable in Region 1
    when DIVX died:

    8 Heads In A Duffel Bag
    54
    6th Man, The