Toshiba SD-3960 DVD player - occasional random lockups during playback?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mike, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I recently bought a new Toshiba SD-3960 DVD player for $45 as a backup
    for a Pansasonic S27 whose black level is not very good (in my
    opinion). I'm very happy with the Toshiba's picture quality and black
    level, but even on pre-recorded (brand new, unscratched, store bought)
    DVDs this player will suddenly freeze at random spots and I have to
    press forward or rewind on the remote to continue. A moment later I
    can rewind and play back through the same spot where it froze without
    any problems.

    I figured my Toshiba player must be out of alignment, so I bought a
    2nd one (planning to return the other one within 30 days) and played
    several movies on it. The 2nd one has exactly the same problem!

    If this lockup only occurred rarely, I could live with it, but it
    occurs probably once every 3 hours of play time and it's quite
    annoying considering that my previous Panasonic and Pioneer players
    have never done this. Perfect condition store bought DVDs or recorded
    media behave exactly the same on both of these Toshiba players.

    Has anyone else experienced frequent lockups or brief glitches (a
    burst of bad pixels and the sound skips for a moment) during playback
    on a Toshiba SD-3960 player or did I just have 2 bad players in a row?

    I find it hard to believe that Toshiba could sell players if they all
    did this, yet getting 2 in a row with the same problem seems unlikely
    unless an entire batch was bad. For $45 I'm debating if I should just
    live with it, give up on Toshiba, or try a 3rd exchange, although the
    store will probably freak out over that last option.
    Mike, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Mike

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    se (Mike) wrote:

    > I recently bought a new Toshiba SD-3960 DVD player for $45 as a backup
    > for a Pansasonic S27 whose black level is not very good (in my
    > opinion). I'm very happy with the Toshiba's picture quality and black
    > level, but even on pre-recorded (brand new, unscratched, store bought)
    > DVDs this player will suddenly freeze at random spots and I have to
    > press forward or rewind on the remote to continue. A moment later I
    > can rewind and play back through the same spot where it froze without
    > any problems.
    >
    > I figured my Toshiba player must be out of alignment, so I bought a
    > 2nd one (planning to return the other one within 30 days) and played
    > several movies on it. The 2nd one has exactly the same problem!
    >
    > If this lockup only occurred rarely, I could live with it, but it
    > occurs probably once every 3 hours of play time and it's quite
    > annoying considering that my previous Panasonic and Pioneer players
    > have never done this. Perfect condition store bought DVDs or recorded
    > media behave exactly the same on both of these Toshiba players.

    This is a common problem with Toshiba's. It's usually a result of
    alignment errors and bad laser assembly. This is why I stick with
    Panasonic. I'd stay away from most Toshiba DVD players these days. Try a
    Sony instead... or get a Panasonic S47, which has better black levels
    than the low end S27. While not perfect, they tend to be more reliable
    than new Toshibas. Toshiba has really gone down the crapper in recent
    years.
    Black Locust, Jan 4, 2005