Toshiba SD-3950 DVD stuck on closed caption

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by charles, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. charles

    charles Guest

    Anyone know how to turn off closed caption? All options through the
    subtitle button on the remote control does not turn it off even when
    all subtitle options are shown to be off. In fact, if you turn on one
    of the subtitles you end up with two sets of subtitles at the same
    time, but not on the same location of the screen.

    I have unplugged the DVD for a minimum hour to hopefully reset the DVD
    and that did not work.

    I can only find a SD-3900 manual online and that one mention of
    resetting the video output to it's original setting. This was related
    to an error with progressive scan. The action taken is by holding
    down the STOP button for 5 seconds after you have stopped a DVD from
    playing.

    This does happen with all DVD's that are placed in the player.

    If anyone knows how to solve this little problem or if anyone knows
    where I can get a SD-3950 manual online it would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks!
    Charles Poole

    charles, Jul 5, 2004

  2. charles

    Biz Guest

    Turn off teh CC on your television remote, thats why you see CC AND
    subtitles when you turn them on

    Biz, Jul 5, 2004

  3. First off, there is a difference between a subtitle track and closed
    captioning. Subtitles are a separate video stream overlayed on the
    movie by the DVD player; separate video streams can contain anything,
    including video, a feature some DVDs take advantage of. CCs are
    actually encoded in the picture information and decoded by your tv, and
    they are just textual information, not picture. Do *not* confuse these
    terms as they have nothing to do with eachother, and you'll only confuse
    people you're talking to.

    Now, your DVD player (mine is the 3800, so I imagine your newer model
    has this feature) sounds like its decoding the CCs for you (since some
    people's tvs don't do CCs or have a screwy decoder), this is why you're
    seeing both subtitles and CCs when you turn the subtitles on. Your
    player is stuck decoding the CCs. Look in your manual for how to turn
    it off. On my player I hit the NAVI button to open up a list of options
    on either side of the screen with the picture in the center. The option
    on the lower-right is the CC one, I select that and switch it to off.

    If your manual is unclear on this, contact Toshiba customer service,
    either by phone or email.

    --

    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

    --C.S. Lewis

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 5, 2004
  4. charles

    charles Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in message news:<QI2Gc.184208$>...
    > First off, there is a difference between a subtitle track and closed
    > captioning. Subtitles are a separate video stream overlayed on the
    > movie by the DVD player; separate video streams can contain anything,
    > including video, a feature some DVDs take advantage of. CCs are
    > actually encoded in the picture information and decoded by your tv, and
    > they are just textual information, not picture. Do *not* confuse these
    > terms as they have nothing to do with eachother, and you'll only confuse
    > people you're talking to.
    >
    > Now, your DVD player (mine is the 3800, so I imagine your newer model
    > has this feature) sounds like its decoding the CCs for you (since some
    > people's tvs don't do CCs or have a screwy decoder), this is why you're
    > seeing both subtitles and CCs when you turn the subtitles on. Your
    > player is stuck decoding the CCs. Look in your manual for how to turn
    > it off. On my player I hit the NAVI button to open up a list of options
    > on either side of the screen with the picture in the center. The option
    > on the lower-right is the CC one, I select that and switch it to off.
    >
    > If your manual is unclear on this, contact Toshiba customer service,
    > either by phone or email.

    Thank You both for your replies. Here is what I have done: I press
    my NAVI button and I have the following options to choose from:

    Title Chapter STOP SKIP REV PLAY FWD SKIP SLOW
    PAUSE/STEP MARKER

    I don't have any addtional option along the side of the screen.

    I'll keep digging.

    Thanks again!

    charles, Jul 5, 2004
  5. charles wrote:
    > Thank You both for your replies. Here is what I have done: I press
    > my NAVI button and I have the following options to choose from:
    >
    > Title Chapter STOP SKIP REV PLAY FWD SKIP SLOW
    > PAUSE/STEP MARKER
    >
    > I don't have any addtional option along the side of the screen.
    >
    > I'll keep digging.
    >
    > Thanks again!

    Is your TV stuck on captions? Try watching a tv show that has captions.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 6, 2004
  6. charles

    charles Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in message news:<K5mGc.186554$>...
    > charles wrote:
    > > Thank You both for your replies. Here is what I have done: I press
    > > my NAVI button and I have the following options to choose from:
    > >
    > > Title Chapter STOP SKIP REV PLAY FWD SKIP SLOW
    > > PAUSE/STEP MARKER
    > >
    > > I don't have any addtional option along the side of the screen.
    > >
    > > I'll keep digging.
    > >
    > > Thanks again!

    > Is your TV stuck on captions? Try watching a tv show that has captions.

    Nope, it's not! The TV shows everything fine. I have Turned CC on
    and off TV to make sure it was not the television eventhough it does
    indicate it is off.

    charles, Jul 6, 2004
  7. charles wrote:
    > Nope, it's not! The TV shows everything fine. I have Turned CC on
    > and off TV to make sure it was not the television eventhough it does
    > indicate it is off.

    Your player probably has the necessary circuitry built-in to do CCs, but
    this may not be a feature of the player and you've somehow unlocked it.

    This is common in electronics, as companies use some of the same
    circuitry for less-expensive equipment as for the high-end stuff. Many
    digital camcorders, even the cheap ones, are technically able to do
    manual white balance but this feature is hardlocked out, because they
    want people to have extra reasons to buy the more expensive,
    professional camcorders (beyond 3CCDs and higher resolution).

    Contact Toshiba.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 7, 2004
  8. charles

    charles Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in message news:<FyGGc.189750$>...
    > charles wrote:
    > > Nope, it's not! The TV shows everything fine. I have Turned CC on
    > > and off TV to make sure it was not the television eventhough it does
    > > indicate it is off.

    > Your player probably has the necessary circuitry built-in to do CCs, but
    > this may not be a feature of the player and you've somehow unlocked it.
    >
    > This is common in electronics, as companies use some of the same
    > circuitry for less-expensive equipment as for the high-end stuff. Many
    > digital camcorders, even the cheap ones, are technically able to do
    > manual white balance but this feature is hardlocked out, because they
    > want people to have extra reasons to buy the more expensive,
    > professional camcorders (beyond 3CCDs and higher resolution).
    >
    > Contact Toshiba.

    Thanks for all your help and the great insight you have provided! I
    contacted Toshiba and the only thing they suggested which I had not
    already tried is to try the DVD player on another TV. They said if
    that does not work call us back and we'll go from there. I questioned
    what else could it be and she did not want to say other than try a
    different TV and we'll go from there. It sounds to me that what you
    have mentioned above in your last posting is what they have done and
    they don't want to admit it. I'll post back hear when a solution has
    been reach for reference and closure.

    charles, Jul 7, 2004
  9. charles

    charles Guest

    12.mi.us (charles) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in message news:<FyGGc.189750$>...
    > > charles wrote:
    > > > Nope, it's not! The TV shows everything fine. I have Turned CC on
    > > > and off TV to make sure it was not the television eventhough it does
    > > > indicate it is off.

    > > Your player probably has the necessary circuitry built-in to do CCs, but
    > > this may not be a feature of the player and you've somehow unlocked it.
    > >
    > > This is common in electronics, as companies use some of the same
    > > circuitry for less-expensive equipment as for the high-end stuff. Many
    > > digital camcorders, even the cheap ones, are technically able to do
    > > manual white balance but this feature is hardlocked out, because they
    > > want people to have extra reasons to buy the more expensive,
    > > professional camcorders (beyond 3CCDs and higher resolution).
    > >
    > > Contact Toshiba.

    > Thanks for all your help and the great insight you have provided! I
    > contacted Toshiba and the only thing they suggested which I had not
    > already tried is to try the DVD player on another TV. They said if
    > that does not work call us back and we'll go from there. I questioned
    > what else could it be and she did not want to say other than try a
    > different TV and we'll go from there. It sounds to me that what you
    > have mentioned above in your last posting is what they have done and
    > they don't want to admit it. I'll post back hear when a solution has
    > been reach for reference and closure.

    Well, as I suspected -- I tried it on another TV and it still has CC
    going. Toshiba will have another call from me in the morning.

    Thanks again for all your help!

    charles, Jul 8, 2004
  10. charles

    charles Guest

    12.mi.us (charles) wrote in message news:<>...
    > 12.mi.us (charles) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in message news:<FyGGc.189750$>...
    > > >
    > > > Your player probably has the necessary circuitry built-in to do CCs, but
    > > > this may not be a feature of the player and you've somehow unlocked it.
    > > >
    > > > This is common in electronics, as companies use some of the same
    > > > circuitry for less-expensive equipment as for the high-end stuff. Many
    > > > digital camcorders, even the cheap ones, are technically able to do
    > > > manual white balance but this feature is hardlocked out, because they
    > > > want people to have extra reasons to buy the more expensive,
    > > > professional camcorders (beyond 3CCDs and higher resolution).

    Brought the DVD into work and tried it on the TV here. Same problem.
    Called Toshiba. Tried one other thing (something I had already
    tried). Same problem. Approved an exchange. Have to send the DVD
    player to Toshiba and they will send us a new one.

    Regards... ;-)

    charles, Jul 8, 2004
  11. charles wrote:
    > Brought the DVD into work and tried it on the TV here. Same problem.
    > Called Toshiba. Tried one other thing (something I had already
    > tried). Same problem. Approved an exchange. Have to send the DVD
    > player to Toshiba and they will send us a new one.
    >
    > Regards... ;-)

    Hope everything works out, and that this experience doesn't turn you
    against Toshiba, they're one of the best mid-level brands.

    No, I don't work for them, I've just seen plenty of people swear off
    good brands from one lousy experience.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 8, 2004
  12. charles

    DVDfanatico Guest

    Aren't closed captions controlled by your TV and not your DVD player? You may
    have to turn off CC on your TV.

    HTH
    -DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico, Jul 9, 2004
  13. DVDfanatico wrote:
    > Aren't closed captions controlled by your TV and not your DVD player? You may
    > have to turn off CC on your TV.
    >
    > HTH
    > -DVDfanatico

    Where've you been? We went over this. :p Some DVD players also
    decode and display CCs.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 9, 2004
  14. charles

    Biz Guest

    "DVDfanatico" <> wrote in message
    > Aren't closed captions controlled by your TV and not your DVD player? You

    may
    > have to turn off CC on your TV.
    >
    > HTH
    > -DVDfanatico

    This has already been hashed out in this post, but you failed to quote any
    of any previous post in this thread making your post utterly useless.

    He has some weird model that actually has an onboard cc decoder, or at least
    that seems to be the consensus. Typically the CC decoder is in the tv set
    as you mentioned.

    Biz, Jul 9, 2004
  15. charles

    jaybird4gsus

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    > Brought the DVD into work and tried it on the TV here. Same problem.
    > Called Toshiba. Tried one other thing (something I had already
    > tried). Same problem. Approved an exchange. Have to send the DVD
    > player to Toshiba and they will send us a new one.
    >
    > Regards... ;-)

    Hope everything works out, and that this experience doesn't turn you
    against Toshiba, they're one of the best mid-level brands.

    No, I don't work for them, I've just seen plenty of people swear off
    good brands from one lousy experience.

    --

    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned
    out of it by honest argument? Do not most people simply drift away?"

    --C.S. Lewis

    It would appear that I'm 2 years behind the times...
    I have the exact same DVD player and I'm experiencing the exact same problem.
    It makes it annoying just to watch a film.
    Imagine my delight when I stumbled across this thread. I was especially pleased with the fact that you continued to post after reaching the final conclusion.
    It is unfortunate that I may have missed the window of opportunity for replacement, but we'll find out tomorrow.
    I just wanted to thank all the participants of this thread, it was a tremendous help and exactly what I needed to hear.
    Thank You

    Proverbs 1:7

    Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
    jaybird4gsus, Aug 1, 2007
  16. charles

    aharper

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Isla Vista, CA
    Turning off the captions!

    Responding to the post below...
    I have successfully done it. Click on the Navi button TWICE.
    The second time the CC button will appear on the upper right hand part of the screen, then just go over to it and turn off captions.

    Sweet right?

    :star:

    Thank You both for your replies. Here is what I have done: I press
    my NAVI button and I have the following options to choose from:

    Title Chapter STOP SKIP REV PLAY FWD SKIP SLOW
    PAUSE/STEP MARKER

    I don't have any addtional option along the side of the screen.

    I'll keep digging.

    Thanks again![/QUOTE]

    aharper, Jun 24, 2010