Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 - Fan grinds and dies, laptop asks to be returned for service

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ed Bennett, Oct 22, 2004.

  1. Ed Bennett

    Ed Bennett Guest

    Last night I left my notebook on while I went out. When I got back, I
    went in to start getting my email, and the fan started normally (for
    about half a second), then started to make the most awful grinding
    noise (like someone was using an angle grinder inside my machine). It
    did this for about 1½ seconds, and then switched the fan off. After
    about 3 seconds of silence, the cycle begain again.
    The machine was incredibly sluggish (probably because the processor
    was overheating), and when it finally began to respond, a message
    appeared on the screen (presumably from Toshiba's software), saying

    System Warning
    A problem has been detected with the cooling system.
    Please turn off your computer immediately and return it for
    service.

    Needless to say, as the warrantee has expired on this machine
    returning it for service is not the most attractive proposition ever.

    I turned off the machine, disconnected all power sources, and opened
    up the fan casing on the back. The processor and heatsink were quite
    hot (but not much hotter than I have noticed in there before - nothing
    was melting or anything). I unscrewed and removed the fan, blew some
    air through it (no noise). I could not see anything that could be
    obstructing the path of the fan. I replaced the fan, and left the
    thing to cool overnight, hoping that it would have fixed itself by the
    morning.

    This morning, I closed everything up and booted it, and there was no
    fan at all. I logged in to Windows and then the same cycle as last
    night started, and immediately the error from Toshiba appeared.
    Turned computer off and removed power, and opened it up again. I
    tried blowing onto the fan without having removed it. The fan seemed
    to go round fine with no noise at all.

    Does anyone have any ideas as to what could possibly have gone wrong
    here, and what I can do to fix it (without returning for service)

    Thanks!

    --
    Ed Bennett

    Ed Bennett, Oct 22, 2004

  2. Ed Bennett

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Re: Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 - Fan grinds and dies, laptop asksto be returned for service

    > Does anyone have any ideas as to what could possibly have gone wrong
    > here, and what I can do to fix it (without returning for service)

    Fan burned out - it's pretty common. Replace it.

    Rick Merrill, Oct 22, 2004

  3. Ed Bennett

    Ed Bennett Guest

    "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    > Fan burned out - it's pretty common. Replace it.

    The laptop or the fan?

    I've spent hours Googling trying to find a replacement (it was sounding
    pretty shoddy before, so I was trying to source a replacement) - but to no
    avail.

    Do you have any ideas where to get a replacement fan for this model?

    Thanks!

    --
    Ed Bennett

    Ed Bennett, Oct 22, 2004
  4. Ed Bennett

    ? Guest

    http://www.toshiba.co.uk/

    ?, Oct 22, 2004
  5. Ed Bennett

    Ed Bennett Guest

    "?" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.toshiba.co.uk/

    LOL

    Believe me, Toshiba's site was my first port of call, if I could have found
    it there I would not have posted here - the only thing I could find that
    they say is to send it to an authorised Toshiba dealer to have any kind of
    internal work done apart from new RAM.

    I have now found the part at www.micsol.com for $20 + shipping.

    --
    Ed Bennett

    Ed Bennett, Oct 22, 2004
  6. Ed Bennett

    ? Guest

    From that siteI found 10 shops (all with websites and online ordering if
    needed) within 10 miles of my postcode

    http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe..../generic_content.jsp?service=UK&ID=0000001d3e

    an look for " click here to find a retailer"
    cheers

    ?, Oct 22, 2004
  7. Ed Bennett

    Denise.Elizabeth

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Did you ever fix the fan?

    Dear Ed,

    I just "inherited" my daughter's Toshiba satellite and it has the same noisy fan problem. Were you ever able to fix it? The fan sounds like the Queen Mary coming into port then it shuts off then it grinds again. It is so noisy. Let me know what you finally did.

    Denise.Elizabeth, Mar 16, 2009