    the mother board as if it is, Im buying a new computer and filing this
    on into file 13. 800 bucks a mobo aint worth it. I sustpect the fan
    isnt working.
    k9nick, Aug 22, 2008

  2. k9nick

    Lodi Guest

    >On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:44:54 -0700, k9nick wrote:

    > Is the fan part of the motherboard on the above machine ? Tell you why I
    > ask. From time to time I'll be typing away while the machine is on me
    > lap and it will jsut stop working. By which I mean it's an instant shut
    > down. Still have lights indicating power attached etc, but the on off
    > switch goes off and the machine is effectivly off. It does start up
    > again with out any probelms. However, I'm wondering if there is a heat
    > safety function that shuts the machine off when it gets too hot. I have
    > noticed that the computer does get rather warm when on my lap. More so
    > lately than usual. I ask it the fan is an intergral part of the mother
    > board as if it is, Im buying a new computer and filing this on into file
    > 13. 800 bucks a mobo aint worth it. I sustpect the fan isnt working.

    FWIW, I'd be very surprised if the fan were part of the motherboard.

    Can't find an M40 disassembly guide but the M35 is very similar (see
    comment #127 on the following link) and its disassembly guide (same link)
    shows the usual heatsink/fan arrangement for Toshiba laptops.

    http://tinyurl.com/5ndee9

    I've disassembled three Toshiba Satellites and they've all had heatsink/
    fan arrangements similar to the M35 guide.

    Also FWIW, fans often get a lot of dust in them causing over-heating. A
    simple clean-out is usually all that's needed. Of course, to do the
    "simple" clean out properly you need to fully disassemble the laptop.
    (which isn't that demanding if you can follow instructions)

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Aug 23, 2008

  3. k9nick

    EMB Guest

    PeeCee wrote:>

    > These Fans are 'usually' a separate part.

    And surprisingly cheap - I recently bought a CPU heatsink and fan
    assembly for an HP laptop. At $75 for a heatpipe assembly with 2 fans I
    thought it was a bargain.
    EMB, Aug 23, 2008
  4. k9nick

    Michael Guest

    "k9nick" <> wrote in message
    > Is the fan part of the motherboard on the above machine ? Tell you why
    > I ask. From time to time I'll be typing away while the machine is on
    > me lap and it will jsut stop working. By which I mean it's an instant
    > shut down. Still have lights indicating power attached etc, but the on
    > off switch goes off and the machine is effectivly off. It does start
    > up again with out any probelms. However, I'm wondering if there is a
    > heat safety function that shuts the machine off when it gets too hot.
    > I have noticed that the computer does get rather warm when on my lap.
    > More so lately than usual. I ask it the fan is an intergral part of
    > the mother board as if it is, Im buying a new computer and filing this
    > on into file 13. 800 bucks a mobo aint worth it. I sustpect the fan
    > isnt working.

    Where is the air inlet to the CPU cooler and fan? If it is on the bottom of
    the machine you may be blocking the inlet and cutting off the cooling air
    with your clothes and the CPU may be cutting out from overheating. Try
    putting a large book on your knees and the laptop on that and see if that
    makes any difference. Laptops usually need a gap for air circulation under
    them

    Michael
    Michael, Aug 23, 2008