    Any ideas on things to check/try? Utilities to use? Any way to narrow
    down the problem even a little bit? Trying to avoid the need to send it
    in for service if possible. Thanks for your help.

    Jeff Evans, Feb 28, 2006

  2. Jeff Evans

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-02-28, Jeff Evans <> wrote:
    > Trying to do something with a Sat. A65-S126 with boot problems. Windows
    > XP installed on NTFS root partition. Things got progressively worse,
    > from Windows not booting until now, when the BIOS screen does not even
    > appear. There does not seem to be any video activity of any kind on
    > powerup (screen is black). I can't tell if the POST passes or not, but
    > there are no beeps I can hear. The CD/DVD drive still spins up if a new
    > disc is inserted, and the fan is going.
    >
    > Any ideas on things to check/try? Utilities to use? Any way to narrow
    > down the problem even a little bit? Trying to avoid the need to send it
    > in for service if possible. Thanks for your help.

    Make sure that you haven't told it to use the external monitor that isn't
    there ...

    If you can get one of the 'Live CD' Linux distros that can boot from a CD,
    does using that produce anything at all? Does the Windows repair CD do
    anything?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 28, 2006

  3. Jeff Evans

    Jeff Evans Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2006-02-28, Jeff Evans <> wrote:
    >> Trying to do something with a Sat. A65-S126 with boot problems. Windows
    >> XP installed on NTFS root partition. Things got progressively worse,
    >> from Windows not booting until now, when the BIOS screen does not even
    >> appear. There does not seem to be any video activity of any kind on
    >> powerup (screen is black). I can't tell if the POST passes or not, but
    >> there are no beeps I can hear. The CD/DVD drive still spins up if a new
    >> disc is inserted, and the fan is going.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on things to check/try? Utilities to use? Any way to narrow
    >> down the problem even a little bit? Trying to avoid the need to send it
    >> in for service if possible. Thanks for your help.

    > Make sure that you haven't told it to use the external monitor that isn't
    > there ...

    I tried that - actually hooking it up to an external monitor plus using
    the Fn-buttons to switch around between monitor modes. No signal on the
    RGB cable. I'm not even sure if it can send to an external monitor
    this early in the game (i.e. before BIOS screen even appears).

    > If you can get one of the 'Live CD' Linux distros that can boot from a CD,
    > does using that produce anything at all? Does the Windows repair CD do
    > anything?

    I tried this as well. Before things were this bad, I could occasionally
    get it to boot from CD. I used an XP install disc and ran some recovery
    console stuff which seemed to have no effect other than telling me the
    Windows install was hosed. I couldn't get it to boot my Ubuntu or
    Knoppix live CDs or the manufacturer's recovery DVD. The problem seems
    to be happening immediately upon power-up of the machine.

    Thanks for your reply.

    Jeff Evans, Feb 28, 2006
  4. Jeff Evans

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Jeff Evans wrote:
    > Trying to do something with a Sat. A65-S126 with boot problems. Windows
    > XP installed on NTFS root partition. Things got progressively worse,
    > from Windows not booting until now, when the BIOS screen does not even
    > appear. There does not seem to be any video activity of any kind on
    > powerup (screen is black). I can't tell if the POST passes or not, but
    > there are no beeps I can hear. The CD/DVD drive still spins up if a new
    > disc is inserted, and the fan is going.
    >
    > Any ideas on things to check/try? Utilities to use? Any way to narrow
    > down the problem even a little bit? Trying to avoid the need to send it
    > in for service if possible. Thanks for your help.

    You'll have to use your recovery disk unless you can manage to F8 your
    way into safe mode.

    Rick Merrill, Feb 28, 2006
  5. Jeff Evans

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-02-28, Jeff Evans <> wrote:

    snip

    > I tried this as well. Before things were this bad, I could occasionally
    > get it to boot from CD. I used an XP install disc and ran some recovery
    > console stuff which seemed to have no effect other than telling me the
    > Windows install was hosed. I couldn't get it to boot my Ubuntu or
    > Knoppix live CDs or the manufacturer's recovery DVD. The problem seems
    > to be happening immediately upon power-up of the machine.

    Sounds like a motherboard problem then :((

    > Thanks for your reply.

    You're welcome.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 28, 2006
  6. Jeff Evans

    jer Guest

    Jeff,
    I have a (I think) little older model Toshiba Satellite and my screen went
    black as well. It flickered a bit then went out. I could hook the machine
    to an external monitor and get video okay. Anyway it was diadnosed as a
    defective on-board graphics inverter which required a trip to Mr. Fixit for
    repair.
    Hope this helps some.
    Jer

    jer, Mar 1, 2006