    Windows XP Pro SP3
    IE8
    Toshiba Satellite A10

    bardeban, Dec 2, 2010

  2. bardeban

    bardeban Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 23:42:30 -0500, "bardeban" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have this laptop, when turn on, at the bottom of screen in dos mode,
    >>there
    >>is a 1 Centimeter TASK BAR??
    >>when windows loads this task bar, covers the original task bar that
    >>windows
    >>hav and I can't see the original task bar because of that.
    >>I don't think I can do anything in windows to eliminate that because as I
    >>said when turn on and in dos mode, it is there.
    >>So I checked the BIOS values and there is nothing about that.
    >>I can not click on START because I can't see it, I have to guess where it
    >>is.
    >>Can any one tell me how I could get rid of that?
    >>I also tried to update the graphic driver with no result.
    >>Windows XP Pro SP3
    >>IE8
    >>Toshiba Satellite A10

    > What does this task bar say? Are you sure it's not a sticker?
    >
    > You CAN move the Windows Task bar, but a better question is what is
    > this task bar?
    > --
    > To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
    > address.

    There is nothing written on it, it is just 1 centimeter horizontal bar in
    grey coulor.
    When I boot the laptop, in DOS mode it is there at the bottom of screen, and
    when in windows, still there so I can't see the START botton TAB or or any
    ICON in the task bar.

    bardeban, Dec 2, 2010

  3. bardeban

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 23:42:30 -0500, bardeban wrote:

    > I have this laptop, when turn on, at the bottom of screen in dos mode, there
    > is a 1 Centimeter TASK BAR??
    > when windows loads this task bar, covers the original task bar that windows
    > hav and I can't see the original task bar because of that.
    > I don't think I can do anything in windows to eliminate that because as I
    > said when turn on and in dos mode, it is there.
    > So I checked the BIOS values and there is nothing about that.
    > I can not click on START because I can't see it, I have to guess where it
    > is.
    > Can any one tell me how I could get rid of that?
    > I also tried to update the graphic driver with no result.
    > Windows XP Pro SP3
    > IE8
    > Toshiba Satellite A10

    unllock the taskbar and move it to the top of the screen.

    richard, Dec 2, 2010
  4. bardeban

    bardeban Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 00:08:09 -0500, "bardeban" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>There is nothing written on it, it is just 1 centimeter horizontal bar in
    >>grey coulor.
    >>When I boot the laptop, in DOS mode it is there at the bottom of screen,
    >>and
    >>when in windows, still there so I can't see the START botton TAB or or any
    >>ICON in the task bar.

    > If you go into the BIOS, is it on the screen when you're in the BIOS?
    > --
    > To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
    > address.

    Yes it is.

    bardeban, Dec 2, 2010
  5. bardeban

    PeeCee Guest

    "bardeban" wrote in message news:id7ceu$s05$-september.org...

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 00:08:09 -0500, "bardeban" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>There is nothing written on it, it is just 1 centimeter horizontal bar in
    >>grey coulor.
    >>When I boot the laptop, in DOS mode it is there at the bottom of screen,
    >>and
    >>when in windows, still there so I can't see the START botton TAB or or any
    >>ICON in the task bar.

    > If you go into the BIOS, is it on the screen when you're in the BIOS?
    > --
    > To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
    > address.

    >Yes it is.

    Try plugging an external screen into the VGA plug (if it has one)
    Boot to Windows and press the Fn +Fx key to cycle thru the Laptop/Laptop +
    External/External/Laptop screens.
    (Fx meaning the function key with the screen symbol on it, eg F5 or F7 on
    some laptops)

    If there is no "taskbar" as you describe it on the external screen, then
    it's likely a bad Laptop screen.

    Best
    Paul

    PeeCee, Dec 2, 2010
  6. bardeban

    VanguardLH Guest

    bardeban wrote:

    > I have this laptop, when turn on, at the bottom of screen in dos mode, there
    > is a 1 Centimeter TASK BAR??
    > when windows loads this task bar, covers the original task bar that windows
    > hav and I can't see the original task bar because of that.
    > I don't think I can do anything in windows to eliminate that because as I
    > said when turn on and in dos mode, it is there.
    > So I checked the BIOS values and there is nothing about that.
    > I can not click on START because I can't see it, I have to guess where it
    > is.
    > Can any one tell me how I could get rid of that?
    > I also tried to update the graphic driver with no result.
    > Windows XP Pro SP3
    > IE8
    > Toshiba Satellite A10

    DOS doesn't have a taskbar. 1 centimeter would obviously not be large
    enough for you to see any text or icons in that miniscule height.

    If the different colored line is not present in Windows then it isnt'
    likely a stuck row of pixels (i.e., bad LCD monitor). Since DOS isn't
    using the same resolution as Windows, you likely have a screen sizing
    problem (the DOS screen doesn't occupy the full dimensions of the LCD
    panel).

    VanguardLH, Dec 2, 2010
  7. bardeban

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 00:08:09 -0500, bardeban wrote:

    > "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 23:42:30 -0500, "bardeban" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have this laptop, when turn on, at the bottom of screen in dos mode,
    >>>there
    >>>is a 1 Centimeter TASK BAR??
    >>>when windows loads this task bar, covers the original task bar that
    >>>windows
    >>>hav and I can't see the original task bar because of that. I don't
    >>>think I can do anything in windows to eliminate that because as I said
    >>>when turn on and in dos mode, it is there. So I checked the BIOS values
    >>>and there is nothing about that. I can not click on START because I
    >>>can't see it, I have to guess where it is.
    >>>Can any one tell me how I could get rid of that? I also tried to update
    >>>the graphic driver with no result. Windows XP Pro SP3
    >>>IE8
    >>>Toshiba Satellite A10

    >> What does this task bar say? Are you sure it's not a sticker?
    >>
    >> You CAN move the Windows Task bar, but a better question is what is
    >> this task bar?
    >> --
    >> To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
    >> address.

    > There is nothing written on it, it is just 1 centimeter horizontal bar
    > in grey coulor.
    > When I boot the laptop, in DOS mode it is there at the bottom of screen,
    > and when in windows, still there so I can't see the START botton TAB or
    > or any ICON in the task bar.

    Something may be wrong with the LCD display.

    Meat Plow, Dec 2, 2010