    shop in the Wellingotn region that may have this model? ALso has anyone else
    purchased this particular model?

    TIA
    John, Aug 31, 2004

  2. John

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:02:03 +1200, "John" <> wrote:

    >I am looking at buying a toshiba notebook A70 model. They have very nice
    >clear wide screens. However finding a computer shop that has them has been a
    >bit of a mission. The only place I have found is Harvey Normans, and their
    >price is quite expensive.
    >I have tried many other computer shops, but they have said that they won't
    >be getting a new shipment in until October/November. Can anyone recommend a
    >shop in the Wellingotn region that may have this model? ALso has anyone else
    >purchased this particular model?
    >
    >TIA

    Its not a Centrino so leave it well alone, that is why it only has a 2 hour
    battery life, that makes it more or less useless.

    http://www.intel.com/products/mobiletechnology/

    Centrino CPU's run much faster than P4 at the same clock rate

    also some laptops can't be used on a soft surface, due to bottom heat vents.
    Karen Parker, Aug 31, 2004

  3. John

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:17:45 +1200, Karen Parker wrote:

    > Its not a Centrino so leave it well alone, that is why it only has a 2
    > hour battery life, that makes it more or less useless.
    >
    > http://www.intel.com/products/mobiletechnology/
    >

    > Centrino CPU's run much faster than P4 at the same clock rate

    Just as a clarification, Centrino is just an Intel marketing term for an
    Intel cpu, chipset and wifi combo.

    The Pentium M is the cpu in question, and if you want good wireless you
    would probably be better off getting a non Centrino but still Pentium M
    latop. If wireless isn't that critical, a Centrino would be fine.

    The Intel wireless chipsets are regarded as inferior to most others in
    terms of range and signal quality. Also only the latest Intel ones have
    got 802.11g support.

    Don't get a P4 in a laptop unless you want a desktop replacement type
    model (actually don't get a P4 fullstop hehe). The P4 laptops run hot and
    have low battery life.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 31, 2004
  4. John

    Chris Guest

    AD. wrote:

    > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:17:45 +1200, Karen Parker wrote:
    >

    >>Its not a Centrino so leave it well alone, that is why it only has a 2
    >>hour battery life, that makes it more or less useless.
    >>
    >>http://www.intel.com/products/mobiletechnology/
    >>

    >>Centrino CPU's run much faster than P4 at the same clock rate

    > Just as a clarification, Centrino is just an Intel marketing term for an
    > Intel cpu, chipset and wifi combo.
    >
    > The Pentium M is the cpu in question, and if you want good wireless you
    > would probably be better off getting a non Centrino but still Pentium M
    > latop. If wireless isn't that critical, a Centrino would be fine.
    >
    > The Intel wireless chipsets are regarded as inferior to most others in
    > terms of range and signal quality.

    Got any links to support that, i'd be interested to have a read

    Also only the latest Intel ones have
    > got 802.11g support.

    A good reason for getting a Dell, orthough that's not the only reason to
    get one.

    --
    OK, whats below this text is not added by me, it's added by
    www.newsfeed.com because thats where my ISP gets their news feed from,

    Chris, Aug 31, 2004
  5. John

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:03:27 +1200, Chris wrote:

    >> The Intel wireless chipsets are regarded as inferior to most others in
    >> terms of range and signal quality.

    > Got any links to support that, i'd be interested to have a read

    That 'info' was based on discussions in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips, I
    can't remember what links came up during those threads but you might be
    able to google for 'Centrino' in there and come up with some. The posters
    involved know much more about this stuff than me :)

    The reason I qualified it with 'regarded as' was that I didn't have any
    facts on hand to back that up :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 31, 2004
  6. John

    ~misfit~ Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:17:45 +1200, Karen Parker wrote:
    >
    >> Its not a Centrino so leave it well alone, that is why it only has
    >> a 2 hour battery life, that makes it more or less useless.
    >>
    >> http://www.intel.com/products/mobiletechnology/
    >>

    >> Centrino CPU's run much faster than P4 at the same clock rate

    > Just as a clarification, Centrino is just an Intel marketing term for
    > an Intel cpu, chipset and wifi combo.
    >
    > The Pentium M is the cpu in question......

    Thank God I'm not the only one trying to educate people on this. So many
    (un-informed) people think that Centrino is the name of the CPU.

    The Pentium M (Banias or Dothan, *Not* Pentium 4 M) is an awesome CPU. The
    complete Centrino package is a little less awe-inspiring.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 31, 2004
  7. John

    Chris Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:03:27 +1200, Chris wrote:
    >

    >>>The Intel wireless chipsets are regarded as inferior to most others in
    >>>terms of range and signal quality.

    >>Got any links to support that, i'd be interested to have a read

    > That 'info' was based on discussions in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips, I
    > can't remember what links came up during those threads but you might be
    > able to google for 'Centrino' in there and come up with some. The posters
    > involved know much more about this stuff than me :)
    >
    > The reason I qualified it with 'regarded as' was that I didn't have any
    > facts on hand to back that up :)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    OK, thanks, was just checking as I have that hardware, though I haven't
    tried it out yet.

    --
    OK, whats below this text is not added by me, it's added by
    www.newsfeeds.com because thats where my ISP gets their news feed from,

    Chris, Aug 31, 2004
  8. John

    Chris Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > AD. wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:17:45 +1200, Karen Parker wrote:
    >>

    >>>Its not a Centrino so leave it well alone, that is why it only has
    >>>a 2 hour battery life, that makes it more or less useless.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.intel.com/products/mobiletechnology/
    >>>

    >>>Centrino CPU's run much faster than P4 at the same clock rate

    >>Just as a clarification, Centrino is just an Intel marketing term for
    >>an Intel cpu, chipset and wifi combo.
    >>
    >>The Pentium M is the cpu in question......

    > Thank God I'm not the only one trying to educate people on this. So many
    > (un-informed) people think that Centrino is the name of the CPU.
    >
    > The Pentium M (Banias or Dothan, *Not* Pentium 4 M) is an awesome CPU. The
    > complete Centrino package is a little less awe-inspiring.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    I'm not to sure that the Pentium M actually runs faster than a P4 at the
    same clock rate either, I believe it's the difference in CPU
    architechure that makes the difference, as well as other features like
    the larger cache etc. I'm not really sure if it's fair to compare the M
    to the P4 or P4M as the difference between the M and P4 or P4M is to great.

    Chris, Aug 31, 2004
  9. John

    Malcolm Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> AD. wrote:

    >>> Just as a clarification, Centrino is just an Intel marketing term for
    >>> an Intel cpu, chipset and wifi combo.
    >>>
    >>> The Pentium M is the cpu in question......

    >> Thank God I'm not the only one trying to educate people on this. So many
    >> (un-informed) people think that Centrino is the name of the CPU.
    >>
    >> The Pentium M (Banias or Dothan, *Not* Pentium 4 M) is an awesome CPU.
    >> The
    >> complete Centrino package is a little less awe-inspiring.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > I'm not to sure that the Pentium M actually runs faster than a P4 at the
    > same clock rate either, I believe it's the difference in CPU
    > architechure that makes the difference, as well as other features like
    > the larger cache etc. I'm not really sure if it's fair to compare the M
    > to the P4 or P4M as the difference between the M and P4 or P4M is to great.

    Hi Chris
    I would have to agree with ~misfit~ the Pentium M is a fast cpu. I have
    both a Prescott (3.2GHz)on an ASUS P4C800-E M/B with 1GB RAM and a
    Pentium M (1.4GHz) DELL Latitude D600 1GB RAM machine which both have
    the 1MB L2 cache. Both run XP Pro, the homebuilt machine is running SP2.
    As a bench mark running SETI classic work units (2 at a time) on both
    machines, the Pentium M beats the Prescott by 5 minutes on average. The
    Prescott averages 2Hrs 30mins and the Pentium M in 2Hrs 25mins per work
    unit.

    Cheers
    Malcolm
    Malcolm, Aug 31, 2004
  10. John

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > I would have to agree with ~misfit~ the Pentium M is a fast cpu. I
    > have both a Prescott (3.2GHz)on an ASUS P4C800-E M/B with 1GB RAM and
    > a Pentium M (1.4GHz) DELL Latitude D600 1GB RAM machine which both
    > have the 1MB L2 cache. Both run XP Pro, the homebuilt machine is
    > running SP2. As a bench mark running SETI classic work units (2 at a
    > time) on both machines, the Pentium M beats the Prescott by 5 minutes
    > on average. The Prescott averages 2Hrs 30mins and the Pentium M in
    > 2Hrs 25mins per work unit.

    That pretty much tallies with what I've heard about them. As fast or faster
    than a P4 running at twice the Mhz. And they're available up to 2Ghz with
    2MB L2 cache now that run on a faster FSB. Man, I'd love one of those
    puppies!
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 31, 2004
  11. John

    Chris Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> Thank God I'm not the only one trying to educate people on this. So many
    >>> (un-informed) people think that Centrino is the name of the CPU.
    >>>
    >>> The Pentium M (Banias or Dothan, *Not* Pentium 4 M) is an awesome
    >>> CPU. The
    >>> complete Centrino package is a little less awe-inspiring.
    >>> --
    >>> ~misfit~
    >>>

    >> I'm not to sure that the Pentium M actually runs faster than a P4 at
    >> the same clock rate either, I believe it's the difference in CPU
    >> architechure that makes the difference, as well as other features like
    >> the larger cache etc. I'm not really sure if it's fair to compare the
    >> M to the P4 or P4M as the difference between the M and P4 or P4M is to
    >> great.
    >>

    > Hi Chris
    > I would have to agree with ~misfit~ the Pentium M is a fast cpu. I have
    > both a Prescott (3.2GHz)on an ASUS P4C800-E M/B with 1GB RAM and a
    > Pentium M (1.4GHz) DELL Latitude D600 1GB RAM machine which both have
    > the 1MB L2 cache. Both run XP Pro, the homebuilt machine is running SP2.
    > As a bench mark running SETI classic work units (2 at a time) on both
    > machines, the Pentium M beats the Prescott by 5 minutes on average. The
    > Prescott averages 2Hrs 30mins and the Pentium M in 2Hrs 25mins per work
    > unit.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Malcolm

    Hi Malcolm
    I have a Dell Inspiron 600m with a 1.6 GHz M with 512MB. My point was
    directed at the original statment "Centrino CPU's run much faster than
    P4 at the same clock rate" I don't believe this is correct in the
    speed context, e.g DDR RAM shifts data on both clock cycles - it
    doesn't actually run at twice the speed. The facts in that statment
    have been truely "Rogered" What makes the M out perform the P4 or P4M
    is the architechure of the CPU, in that it can shift a greater volume
    of data around at a comparaple clock speed to the P4 which is not quite
    the same thing, though the end result is comparable. In the real world
    a 5 min time difference isn't really that great, but I take your point.

    Chris, Aug 31, 2004
  12. John

    Chris Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Malcolm wrote:
    >
    >>I would have to agree with ~misfit~ the Pentium M is a fast cpu. I
    >>have both a Prescott (3.2GHz)on an ASUS P4C800-E M/B with 1GB RAM and
    >>a Pentium M (1.4GHz) DELL Latitude D600 1GB RAM machine which both
    >>have the 1MB L2 cache. Both run XP Pro, the homebuilt machine is
    >>running SP2. As a bench mark running SETI classic work units (2 at a
    >>time) on both machines, the Pentium M beats the Prescott by 5 minutes
    >>on average. The Prescott averages 2Hrs 30mins and the Pentium M in
    >>2Hrs 25mins per work unit.

    > That pretty much tallies with what I've heard about them. As fast or faster
    > than a P4 running at twice the Mhz. And they're available up to 2Ghz with
    > 2MB L2 cache now that run on a faster FSB. Man, I'd love one of those
    > puppies!
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    MIne is certainly faster than the AMD 600 Desktop it replaced but but
    for word processing and web browsing you would really notice any
    difference. One area you do notice an improvement is opening OOo docs -
    I have a 900KB calc doc that use to take a long time to open with the
    AMD600 - say 45 - 55 seconds but now does it in 10 or maybe less.

    But it doesn't seem to boot up any faster than the AMD600 running
    win98SE + 98lite Pro. I think the time could be improved on though.

    Chris, Aug 31, 2004
  13. John

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:14:11 +1200, Chris wrote:

    > I have a Dell Inspiron 600m with a 1.6 GHz M with 512MB. My point was
    > directed at the original statment "Centrino CPU's run much faster than
    > P4 at the same clock rate" I don't believe this is correct in the speed
    > context, e.g DDR RAM shifts data on both clock cycles - it doesn't
    > actually run at twice the speed. The facts in that statment have been
    > truely "Rogered" What makes the M out perform the P4 or P4M is the
    > architechure of the CPU, in that it can shift a greater volume of data
    > around at a comparaple clock speed to the P4 which is not quite the same
    > thing, though the end result is comparable. In the real world a 5 min
    > time difference isn't really that great, but I take your point.

    It's not so much the architecture of the Pentium M that makes the
    positive difference as the architecture of the P4 making a negative
    difference.

    After all the M is a souped up P3 and as such is closer in design
    concepts to the Athlon than it is to the P4. The P4s netburst architecture
    was a short lived and unsustainable experiment at increasing performance
    by driving up clock speeds.

    The P4 was intended to one day scale to 10GHz, but it looks like a bit
    over 4GHz will be all it really gets to.

    I think there will be one more round of P4 designs, then the core of the
    Pentium M will be taking over in future Intel desktop chips.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 31, 2004
  14. John

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Malcolm wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would have to agree with ~misfit~ the Pentium M is a fast cpu. I
    >>> have both a Prescott (3.2GHz)on an ASUS P4C800-E M/B with 1GB RAM
    >>> and a Pentium M (1.4GHz) DELL Latitude D600 1GB RAM machine which
    >>> both have the 1MB L2 cache. Both run XP Pro, the homebuilt machine
    >>> is running SP2. As a bench mark running SETI classic work units (2
    >>> at a time) on both machines, the Pentium M beats the Prescott by 5
    >>> minutes on average. The Prescott averages 2Hrs 30mins and the
    >>> Pentium M in 2Hrs 25mins per work unit.

    >> That pretty much tallies with what I've heard about them. As fast or
    >> faster than a P4 running at twice the Mhz. And they're available up
    >> to 2Ghz with 2MB L2 cache now that run on a faster FSB. Man, I'd
    >> love one of those puppies!
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > MIne is certainly faster than the AMD 600 Desktop it replaced but but
    > for word processing and web browsing you would really notice any
    > difference. One area you do notice an improvement is opening OOo
    > docs - I have a 900KB calc doc that use to take a long time to open
    > with the AMD600 - say 45 - 55 seconds but now does it in 10 or maybe
    > less.
    >
    > But it doesn't seem to boot up any faster than the AMD600 running
    > win98SE + 98lite Pro. I think the time could be improved on though.

    I'd say the boot-up time is limited by the HDD access. Or maybe they're both
    networked, running off a DHCP server? That takes a while to get an IP and
    slows boot times.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 1, 2004
  15. John

    Chris Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >>~misfit~ wrote:

    >>>That pretty much tallies with what I've heard about them. As fast or
    >>>faster than a P4 running at twice the Mhz. And they're available up
    >>>to 2Ghz with 2MB L2 cache now that run on a faster FSB. Man, I'd
    >>>love one of those puppies!
    >>>--
    >>>~misfit~
    >>>

    >>MIne is certainly faster than the AMD 600 Desktop it replaced but but
    >>for word processing and web browsing you would really notice any
    >>difference. One area you do notice an improvement is opening OOo
    >>docs - I have a 900KB calc doc that use to take a long time to open
    >>with the AMD600 - say 45 - 55 seconds but now does it in 10 or maybe
    >>less.
    >>
    >>But it doesn't seem to boot up any faster than the AMD600 running
    >>win98SE + 98lite Pro. I think the time could be improved on though.

    > I'd say the boot-up time is limited by the HDD access. Or maybe they're both
    > networked, running off a DHCP server? That takes a while to get an IP and
    > slows boot times.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Yes, it's only a 4200 rpm HDD and I believe that 5400 rpm is becoming
    more usual these days. Also, this notebook was peered with the desktop,
    though I though I'd cut that out so will check, as thers no reason for
    it now. Also, theres a lot of things that start up at boot time and I
    haven't finished figuring out what I can disable. There are also start
    up items that appear for "All Users" and "my" account - I guess I could
    disable the "All Users" ??? Might have a fiddle with this...

    Chris, Sep 1, 2004
  16. John

    Owly Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > I am looking at buying a toshiba notebook A70 model. They have very nice
    > clear wide screens. However finding a computer shop that has them has been

    > bit of a mission. The only place I have found is Harvey Normans, and their
    > price is quite expensive.

    Hi John,
    We were in Bond&Bond Tory St on Sunday and they had one
    on display. I think it was $2999 but don't quote me on that :).
    However, if you are interested, don't take their display model
    as it had a dead pixel. :(

    Cheers

    Owly.
    Owly, Sep 1, 2004