    fine for a while.

    My first inclination is a hardware problem.

    Any other thoughts?
    ACP, Jan 6, 2007

  2. ACP

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 13:54:02 -0500, "ACP" <> wrote:

    >I have a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite A75 notebook, WindowsXP Home, that has
    >started shutting down of it's own accord. Sometimes while using it,
    >sometimes while just sitting idle.
    >
    >When we see it shut down it's like the power was just disconnected, no
    >warning messages, no nothing, just dead.
    >
    >Hit the power button and away it goes, sometimes warning of incorrect
    >shutdown procedure, sometime just rebooting directly to Windows and works
    >fine for a while.
    >
    >My first inclination is a hardware problem.
    >
    >Any other thoughts?

    Anything in the event log?

    Is the battery 2 years old?

    Is this while on AC power or battery?
    Evan Platt, Jan 6, 2007

  3. ACP

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:54:02 -0500, ACP Has Frothed:

    > I have a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite A75 notebook, WindowsXP Home, that has
    > started shutting down of it's own accord. Sometimes while using it,
    > sometimes while just sitting idle.
    >
    > When we see it shut down it's like the power was just disconnected, no
    > warning messages, no nothing, just dead.
    >
    > Hit the power button and away it goes, sometimes warning of incorrect
    > shutdown procedure, sometime just rebooting directly to Windows and works
    > fine for a while.
    >
    > My first inclination is a hardware problem.
    >
    > Any other thoughts?

    Cooling fan(s) running?

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Jan 6, 2007
  4. ACP

    ACP Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 13:54:02 -0500, "ACP" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite A75 notebook, WindowsXP Home, that
    >>has
    >>started shutting down of it's own accord. Sometimes while using it,
    >>sometimes while just sitting idle.
    >>
    >>When we see it shut down it's like the power was just disconnected, no
    >>warning messages, no nothing, just dead.
    >>
    >>Hit the power button and away it goes, sometimes warning of incorrect
    >>shutdown procedure, sometime just rebooting directly to Windows and works
    >>fine for a while.
    >>
    >>My first inclination is a hardware problem.
    >>
    >>Any other thoughts?

    > Anything in the event log?
    >
    > Is the battery 2 years old?
    >
    > Is this while on AC power or battery?

    Nothing in the event log

    Running on AC power

    Battery is two years old
    ACP, Jan 6, 2007
  5. ACP

    ACP Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:54:02 -0500, ACP Has Frothed:
    >
    >> I have a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite A75 notebook, WindowsXP Home, that
    >> has
    >> started shutting down of it's own accord. Sometimes while using it,
    >> sometimes while just sitting idle.
    >>
    >> When we see it shut down it's like the power was just disconnected, no
    >> warning messages, no nothing, just dead.
    >>
    >> Hit the power button and away it goes, sometimes warning of incorrect
    >> shutdown procedure, sometime just rebooting directly to Windows and works
    >> fine for a while.
    >>
    >> My first inclination is a hardware problem.
    >>
    >> Any other thoughts?

    > Cooling fan(s) running?

    > COOSN-266-06-25794

    Cooling fans are running but were pretty well clogged up with dust bunnies.
    I've cleaned those and we'll see what happens now. Overheating is a good
    possibility.
    ACP, Jan 6, 2007
  6. ACP

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 15:23:50 -0500, ACP Has Frothed:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:54:02 -0500, ACP Has Frothed:
    >>
    >>> I have a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite A75 notebook, WindowsXP Home, that
    >>> has
    >>> started shutting down of it's own accord. Sometimes while using it,
    >>> sometimes while just sitting idle.
    >>>
    >>> When we see it shut down it's like the power was just disconnected, no
    >>> warning messages, no nothing, just dead.
    >>>
    >>> Hit the power button and away it goes, sometimes warning of incorrect
    >>> shutdown procedure, sometime just rebooting directly to Windows and works
    >>> fine for a while.
    >>>
    >>> My first inclination is a hardware problem.
    >>>
    >>> Any other thoughts?

    >> Cooling fan(s) running?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
    >>
    >> COOSN-266-06-25794

    > Cooling fans are running but were pretty well clogged up with dust bunnies.
    > I've cleaned those and we'll see what happens now. Overheating is a good
    > possibility.

    Just cleaned the cooler on my son's Intel box. Took the temp down a good
    20F.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Jan 6, 2007
  7. ACP

    Ben Jones Guest

    "ACP" <> wrote in message

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:54:02 -0500, ACP Has Frothed:
    >>
    >>> I have a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite A75 notebook, WindowsXP Home, that
    >>> has
    >>> started shutting down of it's own accord. Sometimes while using it,
    >>> sometimes while just sitting idle.
    >>>
    >>> When we see it shut down it's like the power was just disconnected, no
    >>> warning messages, no nothing, just dead.
    >>>
    >>> Hit the power button and away it goes, sometimes warning of incorrect
    >>> shutdown procedure, sometime just rebooting directly to Windows and
    >>> works
    >>> fine for a while.
    >>>
    >>> My first inclination is a hardware problem.
    >>>
    >>> Any other thoughts?

    >> Cooling fan(s) running?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
    >>
    >> COOSN-266-06-25794

    > Cooling fans are running but were pretty well clogged up with dust
    > bunnies. I've cleaned those and we'll see what happens now. Overheating
    > is a good possibility.

    My tosh does that too....it's when the fans get clogged up and it shuts down
    to save itself from frying. Turn it upside down, vacuum out the fans and it
    should be okay. It will clog up again so vacuum it again every often! I find
    proping the back end up when it's in use helps too, because that's where the
    fans are.
    Ben
    Ben Jones, Jan 7, 2007
  8. ACP

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 01:21:32 +0000, Ben Jones Has Frothed:

    > "ACP" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:54:02 -0500, ACP Has Frothed:

    >>> Cooling fan(s) running?
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
    >>>
    >>> COOSN-266-06-25794

    >> Cooling fans are running but were pretty well clogged up with dust
    >> bunnies. I've cleaned those and we'll see what happens now. Overheating
    >> is a good possibility.

    > My tosh does that too....it's when the fans get clogged up and it shuts down
    > to save itself from frying. Turn it upside down, vacuum out the fans and it
    > should be okay. It will clog up again so vacuum it again every often! I find
    > proping the back end up when it's in use helps too, because that's where the
    > fans are.
    > Ben

    I own an HP ze5568 notebook that has 3 fans :) I blow the fans and ducts
    out once a month.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Jan 7, 2007
  9. ACP

    Fred Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 01:21:32 +0000, Ben Jones Has Frothed:
    >

    >> "ACP" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> Cooling fans are running but were pretty well clogged up with dust
    >>> bunnies. I've cleaned those and we'll see what happens now. Overheating
    >>> is a good possibility.

    >> My tosh does that too....it's when the fans get clogged up and it shuts
    >> down
    >> to save itself from frying. Turn it upside down, vacuum out the fans and
    >> it
    >> should be okay. It will clog up again so vacuum it again every often! I
    >> find
    >> proping the back end up when it's in use helps too, because that's where
    >> the
    >> fans are.
    >> Ben

    > I own an HP ze5568 notebook that has 3 fans :) I blow the fans and ducts
    > out once a month.

    But does your HP shut down by itself occasionally because of the dust in
    fans? Just asking because I know of an HP that does this sometimes, and
    I've never been able to find the cause - hadn't thought of cooling.
    Fred, Jan 7, 2007
  10. ACP

    Frosty Guest

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 15:43:03 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Meat
    Plow <>, cocked his hammer and shot:
    >On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 15:23:50 -0500, ACP Has Frothed:
    >

    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:54:02 -0500, ACP Has Frothed:

    >>> Cooling fan(s) running?
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
    >>>
    >>> COOSN-266-06-25794

    >> Cooling fans are running but were pretty well clogged up with dust bunnies.
    >> I've cleaned those and we'll see what happens now. Overheating is a good
    >> possibility.

    >Just cleaned the cooler on my son's Intel box. Took the temp down a good
    >20F.

    I just cleaned out the dust in my wife's box but she's STILL hot!
    Frosty, Jan 9, 2007