    thanks
    --
    grumpy

    grumpyoldhori, Dec 12, 2007

  2. grumpyoldhori

    impossible Guest

    "grumpyoldhori" <> wrote in message
    news:fjnj8k$b5$...
    > Greetings a neighbor has one of these running XP, but the damn
    > thing is full of viruses etc.
    >
    > I have the product recovery DVD for it, but I am a bit wary
    > of wiping the harddrive since I have had little to do with
    > laptops.
    >
    > Google threw back too many results, Am I safe just to wipe the
    > harddrive on this laptop using the recovery DVD, I have backed
    > up all data.

    Yes. But spend a little time first at the Toshiba site downloading all the
    latest drivers and other software updates recommended for that machine. Set
    them aside with the data backup for later installation. And don't forget the
    AV!

    impossible, Dec 12, 2007

  3. impossible wrote:

    > Yes. But spend a little time first at the Toshiba site downloading all the
    > latest drivers and other software updates recommended for that machine.
    > Set them aside with the data backup for later installation. And don't
    > forget the AV!

    Whoops, the AV is the media backup disc to be burned?
    I no longer run windows myself.
    Thanks for that
    --
    grumpy

    grumpyoldhori, Dec 12, 2007
  4. grumpyoldhori

    Squiggle Guest

    grumpyoldhori wrote:
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    >> Yes. But spend a little time first at the Toshiba site downloading all the
    >> latest drivers and other software updates recommended for that machine.
    >> Set them aside with the data backup for later installation. And don't
    >> forget the AV!

    > Whoops, the AV is the media backup disc to be burned?
    > I no longer run windows myself.
    > Thanks for that

    AV = anti-virus in this context i'm guessing.

    Squiggle, Dec 12, 2007
  5. Squiggle wrote:

    > AV = anti-virus in this context i'm guessing.

    Damn, I almost forgot whats needed for windows:)
    --
    grumpy

    grumpyoldhori, Dec 12, 2007
  6. grumpyoldhori

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 19:56:25 +1300, grumpyoldhori
    <> wrote:

    >Squiggle wrote:
    >
    >> AV = anti-virus in this context i'm guessing.

    > Damn, I almost forgot whats needed for windows:)

    A Firewall would be more important than antivirus before connecting it
    to the internet after you reinstall.

    Craig Shore, Dec 13, 2007
  7. grumpyoldhori

    impossible Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 19:56:25 +1300, grumpyoldhori
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Squiggle wrote:
    >>
    >>> AV = anti-virus in this context i'm guessing.

    >> Damn, I almost forgot whats needed for windows:)

    > A Firewall would be more important than antivirus before connecting it
    > to the internet after you reinstall.

    More/less -- that's anyone's guess. But while XP runs a perfectly adequate
    firewall by default, users have to install their own antivirus program.

    impossible, Dec 13, 2007