Toshiba laptop/notebook - no sound at all

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by frankg, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. frankg

    frankg Guest

    xp pro
    toshiba satelitte

    No sound at all - not even windows system sounds.
    Cant play audio cd's.
    The mute checkbox and volume slider are greyed out.
    The device manager> sound,video, game controllers list> seems to be ok (no
    exclamations).
    All say 'device working properly'.
    It's like theres no sound card installed.
    I ran Aida 32 (personal) and the Sound was identified as Intel bla, bla, bla
    audio controller.
    I assume this is a sound chip integrated on the motherboard.
    The laptop has built in speakers.
    Windows Updates>custom>hardware updates >didn't reveal anything.

    The only thing I can think of is to go to Toshiba support and look for a
    Sound driver and run it. Maybe it got corrupted ?
    Any other suggestions to try?

    frankg, Feb 9, 2005

  2. frankg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote in message
    | xp pro
    | toshiba satelitte
    |
    | No sound at all - not even windows system sounds.
    | Cant play audio cd's.
    | The mute checkbox and volume slider are greyed out.
    | The device manager> sound,video, game controllers list> seems to be ok (no
    | exclamations).
    | All say 'device working properly'.
    | It's like theres no sound card installed.
    | I ran Aida 32 (personal) and the Sound was identified as Intel bla, bla,
    bla
    | audio controller.
    | I assume this is a sound chip integrated on the motherboard.
    | The laptop has built in speakers.
    | Windows Updates>custom>hardware updates >didn't reveal anything.
    |
    | The only thing I can think of is to go to Toshiba support and look for a
    | Sound driver and run it. Maybe it got corrupted ?
    | Any other suggestions to try?

    How about hotkeys on the keyboard? My Dell has a "Fn" key...if I press that,
    and "End", the sound is totally turned off.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 9, 2005

  3. frankg

    frankg Guest

    ====================================
    > How about hotkeys on the keyboard? My Dell has a "Fn" key...if I press

    that,
    > and "End", the sound is totally turned off.

    =====================================
    Really, the sound is permanently turned off - and the volume control greyed
    out etc. ?
    Control Panel>Sounds and audio devices> all greyed out?

    If so, I wonder which keys are the same on a Toshiba.
    I'm asking here on behalf of a friend who is less knowledgeable than
    myself - it's not actually my laptop/notebook.

    frankg, Feb 9, 2005
  4. frankg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote in message

    | > | xp pro
    | > | toshiba satelitte
    | > |
    | > | No sound at all - not even windows system sounds.
    | > | Cant play audio cd's.
    | > | The mute checkbox and volume slider are greyed out.
    | > | The device manager> sound,video, game controllers list> seems to be ok
    | (no
    | > | exclamations).
    | > | All say 'device working properly'.
    | > | It's like theres no sound card installed.
    | > | I ran Aida 32 (personal) and the Sound was identified as Intel bla,
    bla,
    | > bla
    | > | audio controller.
    | > | I assume this is a sound chip integrated on the motherboard.
    | > | The laptop has built in speakers.
    | > | Windows Updates>custom>hardware updates >didn't reveal anything.
    | > |
    | > | The only thing I can think of is to go to Toshiba support and look for
    | > | Sound driver and run it. Maybe it got corrupted ?
    | > | Any other suggestions to try?
    | ====================================
    | > How about hotkeys on the keyboard? My Dell has a "Fn" key...if I press
    | that,
    | > and "End", the sound is totally turned off.
    | =====================================
    | Really, the sound is permanently turned off - and the volume control
    greyed
    | out etc. ?
    | Control Panel>Sounds and audio devices> all greyed out?
    |
    | If so, I wonder which keys are the same on a Toshiba.
    | I'm asking here on behalf of a friend who is less knowledgeable than
    | myself - it's not actually my laptop/notebook.

    On my Dell the keys are marked - either symbols or words - speakers for
    sound, "suspend", "LCD/CRT", etc. for all the different Fn options.

    When I do the Fn/Speaker off, the volume control only goes to "mute", it
    doesn't totally disable them...so that may not be the issue.

    My next suggestion is to go to the Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices.
    Check the Audio tab to see if the correct devices are selected as default.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 9, 2005
  5. frankg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote in message

    | > | xp pro
    | > | toshiba satelitte
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Feb 9, 2005
  6. frankg

    Gumby

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    This is responding to an old post, but this is for others who encountered the same problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite XP A75 notebook that had the exact same symptoms. The volume control was greyed out, but the OS thought the audio device was working properly. This happened after I did a virus scan and cleaned up some malware. It seems that the RealTek driver installer program alcupd.exe was infected and refused to work correctly or be overwritten by reinstalling the device drivers. The installer would always crash 80% thru. My solution was to remove file alcupd.exe (or rename it) then reinstall the drivers. My sound works fine now. Hope this saves someone grief. Good luck.

    Gumby, Oct 25, 2006
  7. frankg

    Bob in NC

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Toshiba Laptop Audio Service Not Running

    This fixed my problem on a Toshiba A215-S7416 Laptop:

    Start>Run services.msc
    Find Windows Audio
    If it is started, then I don't know what to tell you
    If it is not started, do the following
    Right click and select properties
    Click Dependencies Tab
    Note the list "This service depends on the following system components"
    Click OK and find those components in the list and see if they are started.
    If they are not, then right click and select start.
    Now return to Windows Audio and right click and select start

    Bob in NC, Apr 16, 2010
  8. frankg

    rangel_4u

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    hello there

    I had TOSHIBA SATELLITE U305 and it seem to had problems with sound
    it happens many times to lost sound suddenlly-no audio is installed
    so finnally i found a solution - the problem is not with drives
    i just open my laptop and found where isa sound card and i discovered that its seem to have bad connection with mainboard
    just in case you check all the connecctions and the problem is solved
    The sound card is sittuated near the jack for headphones
    This is the way to check the problem - don't waste you time to discharge you sound , reinstall drivers , go back to previous points and so..
    good luck
    R K

    rangel_4u, Feb 22, 2011
  9. frankg

    nikki.marks

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    I have lost my sound twice. I have my Toshiba laptop for about two years and it only recently started happening. I caledl tech support, what a waste of time. I fixed it by doing a system restore to the last time I remember having sound. I almost want to say it has something to do with updates; firefox and windows. I am not sure. I will investigate the hotkey angle though. Thanks.

    nikki.marks, Mar 10, 2012