    got a Toshiba laptop that I can hear booting up but there is no screen. it
    quit while playing a game. any suggestions on how to get it back or am I
    sol?
    Tim Bell, Sep 3, 2005

  2. Tim Bell

    Dave Guest

    Have you tried plugging a normal monitor into it to check its ok?
    Possible backlight broken?

    Dave, Sep 3, 2005

  3. Tim Bell

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > Have you tried plugging a normal monitor into it to check its ok?
    > Possible backlight broken?
    >
    > "Tim Bell" <> wrote in message
    >> got a Toshiba laptop that I can hear booting up but there is no
    >> screen. it quit while playing a game. any suggestions on how to get
    >> it back or am I sol?

    I just had to have a backlight repair job on my Sony. Cost near $200 (still
    less than a replacement LCD). I won't recommend the company that did the
    work though. They took 5 weeks, never returned my calls, shipped the
    computer back with the lid latch not working (it was when I shipped it) and
    the case was reassembled incorrectly. I fixed the latch and case myself.

    The area I live in is small and has no companies with the ability to repair
    LCDs, so I shipped it. Maybe the OP will have better luck if there is
    someone local to deal with.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 3, 2005
  4. Tim Bell

    Tim Bell Guest

    tried plugging into an external monitor. on power up the windows XP screen
    came on until the music sounded then the monitor went blank. circuitry or fl
    inverter?

    Tim Bell, Sep 15, 2005
  5. Tim Bell

    Toolman Tim Guest

    It's hard to say - I would guess that your monitor went blank because of a
    refresh rate or resolution problem. Some setting is too high for the monitor
    you plugged in. Try booting with the monitor in safe mode, and setting the
    resolution/refresh to a lower level - 800x600 at 60Hz - and rebooting.

    Basically, if you any screen on the monitor at all, it would seem the video
    circuitry in the computer is working. Then when Windows gets to the higher
    resolution screens, the monitor can't handle it so it blanks out.

    That would indicate that your laptop video display card is at least working,
    and narrows down the problem to be most likely one of three things: the CCFL
    (cold cathode fluorescent lamps) or the inverter (converts the DC in the
    computer to AC to run the lamps - the inverter is cheap, replacing the CCFLs
    is not), and it is also possible that the LCD unit is totally blown.

    When my screen went black, I could lean it all the way back, and see the
    Windows screens on the LCD - kind of like a reflection. Take a look and see
    if yours does the same. Mine was the CCFLs gone out.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 16, 2005
  6. Tim Bell

    cj ibanez

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Just had the same problem and fixed it. On the lower portion of your lap top screen is an (FL inverter) You have to remove the boarder around your screen. The FL inverter is a little card which controls the lighting for the screen. I read that this is a common problem with Toshiba. I just replaced mine and it works. I found this information by going to google and typed in....Toshiba laptop blank screen.
    This is an easy fix. The part, though cost me $100.
    GOOD LUCK--
    cj ibanez, Apr 27, 2007
  7. Tim Bell

    Jdiquattro

    Joined:
    May 26, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Toshiba Laptop Blackout

    I know this is coming in late, but I wanted to get this out there for anyone else that has this same problem. I experienced this early on and found a fix. The problem I had was that the screen just blacked out, but everything was still running. To fix...

    Go to control panel and pull up the power options. Click on "Change Plan Settings" for the power plan you are using (should be balanced or power saver). Click on "Change Advanced Power Settings". Expand "processor power management". Change the minimum and maximum processor state both to 100%. This fixed it once and for all. I'm pretty sure you'll suffer some battery life, but your screen won't go black on you anymore.

    Jon
    Jdiquattro, May 26, 2009
  8. Tim Bell

    sartain

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Most computers that come into my shop with broken screens are fixed for just over $200
    Go to my site to contact me www.sartaincomputers.com
    sartain, Apr 5, 2011
  9. Tim Bell

    Tierneyeom

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    RE:

    I know it's late, but I wanted this out there for someone else to get this same problem. I lived in the early years and has found a solution. The problem I had was that the screen just blacked out, but was still active. Declare ...

    Go to Control Panel and remove the power options. Click "Change Settings" A plan for the management of the power that you are using (for rescue or the balance of power). Click "Change advanced power settings. " Expand "Processor Power Management. " Change the minimum and maximum processor state to be 100%. Thing fixed once and for all. I'm sure the battery is concerned, but the screen does not go black on you.
    Tierneyeom, May 4, 2011