    consideration the laptop sat on my desk here and went out once in a
    while it didnt get knocked aroundI think this stinks. Your thoughts
    anyone ?
    k9nick, Mar 4, 2007

  2. k9nick

    none Guest

    k9nick wrote:
    > hey all. Get this. I bought a Toshiba stataltie 13 months ago. Was
    > working away on it and it turns out the motherboard shit itself. Took
    > it back to Dick Smith and have been told that because the laptop is
    > ONE MONTH out of warrantee they will not cover it. Taking into
    > consideration the laptop sat on my desk here and went out once in a
    > while it didnt get knocked aroundI think this stinks. Your thoughts
    > anyone ?

    Consumer Guarantees Act.

    k thx
    none, Mar 4, 2007

  3. k9nick

    k9nick Guest

    On Mar 5, 9:59 am, none <> wrote:
    > k9nick wrote:
    > > hey all. Get this. I bought a Toshiba stataltie 13 months ago. Was
    > > working away on it and it turns out the motherboard shit itself. Took
    > > it back to Dick Smith and have been told that because the laptop is
    > > ONE MONTH out of warrantee they will not cover it. Taking into
    > > consideration the laptop sat on my desk here and went out once in a
    > > while it didnt get knocked aroundI think this stinks. Your thoughts
    > > anyone ?

    > Consumer Guarantees Act.
    >
    > k thx

    Yeah. forgot about that. and anyway, in terms of computer usage
    you should expect to upgrade in around 3 years er. To keep up with
    the pace of technowledgy. Plus I just spoke to Toshiba sales in new
    Zealand and the chick I talked too said that you should expect a
    computer to last 3 years in domestic use after I told her I was
    thinking about getting a laptop. Kinda nailed her for that one.
    Anyway, that's more ammo huh.

    cheers
    k9nick, Mar 4, 2007
  4. k9nick

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "k9nick" <> wrote in message
    > hey all. Get this. I bought a Toshiba stataltie 13 months ago. Was
    > working away on it and it turns out the motherboard shit itself. Took
    > it back to Dick Smith and have been told that because the laptop is
    > ONE MONTH out of warrantee they will not cover it. Taking into
    > consideration the laptop sat on my desk here and went out once in a
    > while it didnt get knocked aroundI think this stinks. Your thoughts
    > anyone ?

    A case for Fair Go and a reminder of The Consumers Guarantee Act which
    applies to most goods sold in NZ under NZ law in that those goods should
    last longer than 1 lousy year.

    For a bad hardware fault like that so soon after running out of warranty and
    since it's probably not too common - could be no more than 1 in a 1,000 - it
    would be good public relations for Toshiba to fix the thing anyway.
    It makes sense for Toshiba to fix it otherwise you'll simply buy a new
    laptop from another manufacturer, and never buy a Toshiba product ever
    again. Including anything from a Toshiba battery right on up to a 3,000
    inch Toshiba TV.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Mar 4, 2007
  5. k9nick

    k9nick Guest

    On Mar 5, 11:12 am, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
    > "k9nick" <> wrote in message

    > > hey all. Get this. I bought a Toshiba stataltie 13 months ago. Was
    > > working away on it and it turns out the motherboard shit itself. Took
    > > it back to Dick Smith and have been told that because the laptop is
    > > ONE MONTH out of warrantee they will not cover it. Taking into
    > > consideration the laptop sat on my desk here and went out once in a
    > > while it didnt get knocked aroundI think this stinks. Your thoughts
    > > anyone ?

    > A case for Fair Go and a reminder of The Consumers Guarantee Act which
    > applies to most goods sold in NZ under NZ law in that those goods should
    > last longer than 1 lousy year.
    >
    > For a bad hardware fault like that so soon after running out of warranty and
    > since it's probably not too common - could be no more than 1 in a 1,000 - it
    > would be good public relations for Toshiba to fix the thing anyway.
    > It makes sense for Toshiba to fix it otherwise you'll simply buy a new
    > laptop from another manufacturer, and never buy a Toshiba product ever
    > again. Including anything from a Toshiba battery right on up to a 3,000
    > inch Toshiba TV.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Say what you like about IBM, but all my computers around here are
    IBM. I shoulda stuck with IBM. never had a problem with em. Oh
    well, always better to stick with what you know eh.
    k9nick, Mar 4, 2007
  6. k9nick

    Kent Smith Guest

    k9nick wrote:
    > On Mar 5, 11:12 am, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
    >> "k9nick" <> wrote in message

    >>> hey all. Get this. I bought a Toshiba stataltie 13 months ago.
    >>> Was working away on it and it turns out the motherboard shit
    >>> itself. Took it back to Dick Smith and have been told that because
    >>> the laptop is ONE MONTH out of warrantee they will not cover it.
    >>> Taking into consideration the laptop sat on my desk here and went
    >>> out once in a while it didnt get knocked aroundI think this stinks.
    >>> Your thoughts anyone ?

    >> A case for Fair Go and a reminder of The Consumers Guarantee Act
    >> which applies to most goods sold in NZ under NZ law in that those
    >> goods should last longer than 1 lousy year.
    >>
    >> For a bad hardware fault like that so soon after running out of
    >> warranty and since it's probably not too common - could be no more
    >> than 1 in a 1,000 - it would be good public relations for Toshiba to
    >> fix the thing anyway.
    >> It makes sense for Toshiba to fix it otherwise you'll simply buy a
    >> new laptop from another manufacturer, and never buy a Toshiba
    >> product ever again. Including anything from a Toshiba battery right
    >> on up to a 3,000 inch Toshiba TV.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > Say what you like about IBM, but all my computers around here are
    > IBM. I shoulda stuck with IBM. never had a problem with em. Oh
    > well, always better to stick with what you know eh.

    By IBM, you mean Lenovo? :)

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Mar 4, 2007
  7. k9nick

    thingy Guest

    k9nick wrote:
    > hey all. Get this. I bought a Toshiba stataltie 13 months ago. Was
    > working away on it and it turns out the motherboard shit itself. Took
    > it back to Dick Smith and have been told that because the laptop is
    > ONE MONTH out of warrantee they will not cover it. Taking into
    > consideration the laptop sat on my desk here and went out once in a
    > while it didnt get knocked aroundI think this stinks. Your thoughts
    > anyone ?

    Did you talk to the manager or a sales pimple?

    I suggest you wander down to a CAB and get some advice. You have the
    Consumers Guarantee Act which is powerful. If DSE wont play ball CAB
    will advise you on the next legal stage to undertake....they may even
    put you into contact with a legal advice centre who will help you draft
    the documents.

    Keep us posted, I will be very interested to see how DSE fairs in court....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 5, 2007
  8. k9nick

    k9nick Guest

    On Mar 5, 1:44 pm, thingy <> wrote:
    > k9nick wrote:
    > > hey all. Get this. I bought a Toshiba stataltie 13 months ago. Was
    > > working away on it and it turns out the motherboard shit itself. Took
    > > it back to Dick Smith and have been told that because the laptop is
    > > ONE MONTH out of warrantee they will not cover it. Taking into
    > > consideration the laptop sat on my desk here and went out once in a
    > > while it didnt get knocked aroundI think this stinks. Your thoughts
    > > anyone ?

    > Did you talk to the manager or a sales pimple?
    >
    > I suggest you wander down to a CAB and get some advice. You have the
    > Consumers Guarantee Act which is powerful. If DSE wont play ball CAB
    > will advise you on the next legal stage to undertake....they may even
    > put you into contact with a legal advice centre who will help you draft
    > the documents.
    >
    > Keep us posted, I will be very interested to see how DSE fairs in court....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    got it sorted now. spoke to a pimple who spoke to pr in aussie. it's
    being covered. that';s the thing about me eh. I get stuck in if Im
    right.
    k9nick, Mar 5, 2007
  9. k9nick

    thingy Guest

    k9nick wrote:
    > On Mar 5, 1:44 pm, thingy <> wrote:
    >> k9nick wrote:
    >>> hey all. Get this. I bought a Toshiba stataltie 13 months ago. Was
    >>> working away on it and it turns out the motherboard shit itself. Took
    >>> it back to Dick Smith and have been told that because the laptop is
    >>> ONE MONTH out of warrantee they will not cover it. Taking into
    >>> consideration the laptop sat on my desk here and went out once in a
    >>> while it didnt get knocked aroundI think this stinks. Your thoughts
    >>> anyone ?

    >> Did you talk to the manager or a sales pimple?
    >>
    >> I suggest you wander down to a CAB and get some advice. You have the
    >> Consumers Guarantee Act which is powerful. If DSE wont play ball CAB
    >> will advise you on the next legal stage to undertake....they may even
    >> put you into contact with a legal advice centre who will help you draft
    >> the documents.
    >>
    >> Keep us posted, I will be very interested to see how DSE fairs in court....
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > got it sorted now. spoke to a pimple who spoke to pr in aussie. it's
    > being covered. that';s the thing about me eh. I get stuck in if Im
    > right.

    Makes you wonder about all these extended warrantees as well....I mean
    if the CGA effectively gives you more than 1 year why buy an extended
    warrantee....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 5, 2007
  10. k9nick

    frederick Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > Makes you wonder about all these extended warrantees as well....I mean
    > if the CGA effectively gives you more than 1 year why buy an extended
    > warrantee....

    That is something that really needs to be nailed IMO. It seems that the
    extended warranty system was designed by corporates (dishonestly IMO) to
    recover revenue potentially lost by the effect that consumer protection
    legislation has had in most western countries. They are clearly trying
    to evade by stealthy means, the CGA and similar.
    If the cost for warranty repair is so high, then they need to include
    that averaged cost in retail sales prices, based on reasonable
    expectation for life of the product. It might also serve as a wake up
    call on product quality / durability.
    frederick, Mar 5, 2007
  11. k9nick

    Enkidu Guest

    k9nick wrote:

    > Took it back to Dick Smith and have been told that because the laptop
    > is ONE MONTH out of warrantee they will not cover it.

    You didn't buy the optional 3 year warranty? Silly you!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Mar 5, 2007
  12. k9nick

    Enkidu Guest

    k9nick wrote:

    > Say what you like about IBM, but all my computers around here are
    > IBM. I shoulda stuck with IBM. never had a problem with em. Oh
    > well, always better to stick with what you know eh.

    All I can say is - you must have been very, very, very lucky with your IBMs.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Mar 5, 2007
  13. k9nick

    thingy Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >>
    >> Makes you wonder about all these extended warrantees as well....I mean
    >> if the CGA effectively gives you more than 1 year why buy an extended
    >> warrantee....
    >>

    > That is something that really needs to be nailed IMO. It seems that the
    > extended warranty system was designed by corporates (dishonestly IMO) to
    > recover revenue potentially lost by the effect that consumer protection
    > legislation has had in most western countries. They are clearly trying
    > to evade by stealthy means, the CGA and similar.
    > If the cost for warranty repair is so high, then they need to include
    > that averaged cost in retail sales prices, based on reasonable
    > expectation for life of the product. It might also serve as a wake up
    > call on product quality / durability.

    yes I agree.....I do not normally buy extended warrantees....I think the
    only time I bought one was for 5 years on a rather expensive ccd video
    camera......Bond and Bond wanted to sell the camera (they were closing
    the store) and give me a very good deal on it and the 5 years warrantee,
    something like $100 or so extra...so I bit.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 5, 2007
  14. k9nick

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    "k9nick" <> wrote:

    > hey all. Get this. I bought a Toshiba stataltie 13 months ago. Was
    > working away on it and it turns out the motherboard shit itself. Took
    > it back to Dick Smith and have been told that because the laptop is
    > ONE MONTH out of warrantee they will not cover it. Taking into
    > consideration the laptop sat on my desk here and went out once in a
    > while it didnt get knocked aroundI think this stinks. Your thoughts
    > anyone ?

    It is called the consumer Guarantees act.

    It is FAIR and REASONABLE for a laptop to last more than 13 months. This
    being true ONLY if the laptop has not suffered any physical abuse or
    hacks to the hardware/firmware which may invalidate the warranty.

    Make some enquiries with your local citizens advice bureau as to how you
    make a claim.
    whoisthis, Mar 5, 2007
  15. k9nick

    k9nick Guest

    On Mar 5, 8:22 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > k9nick wrote:
    >
    > > Took it back to Dick Smith and have been told that because the laptop
    > > is ONE MONTH out of warrantee they will not cover it.

    > You didn't buy the optional 3 year warranty? Silly you!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > --
    >
    > Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing' or
    > 'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    shouldnt need to buy a three year warrantee. bloody thing should last
    that long anyway
    k9nick, Mar 5, 2007
  16. k9nick

    Ray Greene Guest

    On 5 Mar 2007 13:09:09 -0800, "k9nick" <> wrote:

    >On Mar 5, 8:22 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >> k9nick wrote:
    >>
    >> > Took it back to Dick Smith and have been told that because the laptop
    >> > is ONE MONTH out of warrantee they will not cover it.

    >> You didn't buy the optional 3 year warranty? Silly you!
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing' or
    >> 'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    >shouldnt need to buy a three year warrantee. bloody thing should last
    >that long anyway

    Laptops get a hard life though, they are probably the only item for
    which I would always get an extended warranty. My last laptop went
    through 3 hard drives in the 5 years that the extended warranty
    lasted. It saved me a bundle. Same with work laptops, we've had
    motherboards and screens replaced under extended warranty.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Mar 6, 2007
  17. k9nick

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Ray Greene <> wrote:

    > On 5 Mar 2007 13:09:09 -0800, "k9nick" <> wrote:

    > >> You didn't buy the optional 3 year warranty? Silly you!
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >>
    > >> Cliff
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing' or
    > >> 'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    > >shouldnt need to buy a three year warrantee. bloody thing should last
    > >that long anyway

    > Laptops get a hard life though, they are probably the only item for
    > which I would always get an extended warranty. My last laptop went
    > through 3 hard drives in the 5 years that the extended warranty
    > lasted. It saved me a bundle. Same with work laptops, we've had
    > motherboards and screens replaced under extended warranty.

    My 12" Mac Powerbook has been around the world with me 3 times, to
    Aussie 4 times and travelled in a backpack most days and is still 100%.
    However you are right, I too got the extended warranty on it and also
    have it on my MacBook Pro. All the jostling they get can not be good for
    the harddrives.
    whoisthis, Mar 6, 2007