Toshiba hints at HD DVD launch delay.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/01/toshiba_hd-dvd_delay/

    Toshiba may not launch HD DVD products until 2006, breaking its
    previously stated deadline for the introduction of the technology.

    Toshiba and other HD DVD backers have for some time pegged late 2005
    as the launch point for the next-generation, blue-laser optical disc
    format in the US and Japan.

    However, a spokeswoman at the company's Tokyo HQ today revealed that
    for Toshiba at least, zero-hour may now come in 2006, Reuters reports.
    Toshiba may launch in Japan this year, the spokeswoman hinted, but it
    certainly seems unlikely that the planned end-of-year US debut will
    now not take place.

    Other HD DVD supporters may still choose to ship in 2005, but with
    Toshiba leading the HD DVD promotional activity, it's hard to see
    other firms failing to follow suit.

    "We are now in talks with Hollywood studios and large-scale retailers
    to seek the most effective timing of the launch and best way to
    launch," the spokeswoman told the news agency.

    That language suggests either the technology has slipped to the point
    where its appearance would come too close to the US' Holiday sales
    period - possibly even past it - to justify the big promotional
    efforts launching the format will inevitably require, or that said
    parties no longer believe consumers are ready for the technology.

    Certainly HD DVD looked like launching well ahead of rival format
    Blu-ray Disc (BD). The BD camp has never announced a formal launch
    timeframe, but comments from Sony have suggested a Q1 2006 debut, most
    likely toward the end of that period, when the BD-equipped PlayStation
    3 is scheduled to ship in Japan.

    PS3's US debut is reckoned to be some way after that time, as per past
    PlayStation launches, so we could easily be looking at Q3 2006 before
    BD is launched as a consumer content format in the US. So HD DVD still
    has a fairly good lead on its rival, and with that in mind Toshiba and
    co. may well have decided they don't need to rush the launch just for
    the sake of coming to market first.

    Any delay also gives both camps further opportunity to discuss merging
    their favoured formats and averting a war no one wants. Sony paved the
    way for such negotiations earlier this year, but the parties were
    unable to reach an agreement, and that was that. More recently,
    however, we've seen reports noting various parties' statements that an
    agreement seems unlikely. If the talks proved unsuccessful in June,
    why are people still moaning about a failure to reach a compromise? We
    suspect the talks are ongoing, with both camps monitoring consumer
    reactions to HD DVD and BD developments in the hope of gaining some
    advantage.

    Any agreement to unite the two formats will require one of the two
    hardware formats to be ditched, retaining only the data structure and
    other refinements. Both have advantages at the hardware level: BD has
    a considerable capacity lead, while HD DVD has the benefit of greater
    simplicity.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Sep 1, 2005

  2. Allan

    Sammy Guest

    In article <>,
    Allan <> wrote:

    > or that said parties no longer believe consumers are ready for the
    > technology.

    I think they have read enough negative reaction to another Beta vs. VHS
    nightmare that they're crapping in their pants out of fear than the
    debut will be a complete flop with only a few diehards being willing to
    buy into something that may quickly be obsolete.

    A delay may give the two camps enough time to pull their heads out of
    their greedy and egotistical asses and come their senses with a single
    unified format. Otherwise, HD DVD will be stillborn.

    Sammy, Sep 1, 2005

  3. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Sammy" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Allan <> wrote:
    >
    >> or that said parties no longer believe consumers are ready for the
    >> technology.

    > I think they have read enough negative reaction to another Beta vs. VHS
    > nightmare that they're crapping in their pants out of fear than the
    > debut will be a complete flop with only a few diehards being willing to
    > buy into something that may quickly be obsolete.
    >
    > A delay may give the two camps enough time to pull their heads out of
    > their greedy and egotistical asses and come their senses with a single
    > unified format. Otherwise, HD DVD will be stillborn.

    As will Blu-Ray. The NEC announcement of a HD DVD *reader* at $500 at
    launch is not the stuff of which success is made.

    Alpha, Sep 1, 2005
  4. Allan

    Sammy Guest

    In article <>,
    "Alpha" <> wrote:

    > "Sammy" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > Allan <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> or that said parties no longer believe consumers are ready for the
    > >> technology.

    > > I think they have read enough negative reaction to another Beta vs. VHS
    > > nightmare that they're crapping in their pants out of fear than the
    > > debut will be a complete flop with only a few diehards being willing to
    > > buy into something that may quickly be obsolete.
    > >
    > > A delay may give the two camps enough time to pull their heads out of
    > > their greedy and egotistical asses and come their senses with a single
    > > unified format. Otherwise, HD DVD will be stillborn.

    > As will Blu-Ray. The NEC announcement of a HD DVD *reader* at $500 at
    > launch is not the stuff of which success is made.

    Agreed. BTW, when I said HD DVD I was including Blu Ray. I think both
    are headed toward a marketing disaster.

    Sammy, Sep 2, 2005