Toshiba HD-DVD Player Planned to Enforce HDMI.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    CCat writes "Digital Spy reports that at a recent Toshiba road show in
    the U.S., Toshiba demonstrated their upcoming HD-DVD specification.
    The most interesting thing for people buying TVs at the moment is that
    Toshiba has stated that their HD-DVD Player will ONLY output high Def
    on the player's HDMI output (plus other digital connections) with the
    analog output downrezed to 480 lines. Prior slashdot disussion talks
    about the copy prevention angle and HDCP guidelines."

    http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/05/07/12/0233228.shtml?tid=129&tid=137

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Allan

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > The most interesting thing for people buying TVs at the moment is that
    > Toshiba has stated that their HD-DVD Player will ONLY output high Def
    > on the player's HDMI output (plus other digital connections) with the
    > analog output downrezed to 480 lines.

    No surprise there. Blu-Ray will be doing the exact same thing.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Allan

    Goro Guest

    Is there some issue with outputting higher than 480p on analog outputs?
    My Oppo DVD player, which upconverts to 720p/1080i, will only do the
    upconverting on the DVI connector. I had just assumed that there was
    some issue with hirez on analog.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jul 14, 2005
  4. Allan

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Goro" <> wrote in message
    > Is there some issue with outputting higher than 480p on analog
    > outputs?
    > My Oppo DVD player, which upconverts to 720p/1080i, will only do the
    > upconverting on the DVI connector. I had just assumed that there was
    > some issue with hirez on analog.

    It's not a technical limitation, no. It's that the movie studios don't
    want high definition signals transmitted by unecrypted analog
    connections.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 14, 2005