Toshiba CEO recent comments: standard DVDs on our players...won't be able to tell the difference fro

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Robo-man, Mar 5, 2008.

  1. Robo-man

    Robo-man Guest

    From: thedigitalbits.com 03/04/08

    Now then... we've been getting a lot of e-mails today about Toshiba CEO
    Atsutoshi Nishida's recent comments to The Wall Street Journal.
    Specifically, one of the things he said (that readers have been asking us
    about) was this:

    "What people don't realize is that Hollywood studios are going to release
    new titles not just for Blu-ray but for standard DVDs as well, and there are
    a far greater number of current-generation DVD players out there. If you
    watch standard DVDs on our players, the images are of very high quality
    because they include an "upconverting" feature. And we're going to improve
    this even more, so that consumers won't be able to tell the difference from
    HD DVD images. The players would be much cheaper than Blu-ray players too.
    Next-generation DVD players are in a much weaker position than when standard
    DVD players were first introduced."

    end:

    Wow...Talk about sore losers. Spreading more lies. Why can't they just admit
    defeat and hop on board?

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
    Robo-man, Mar 5, 2008

  2. Re: Toshiba CEO recent comments: standard DVDs on our players...won'tbe able to tell the difference from HD DVD images.

    Robo-man wrote:

    > Now then... we've been getting a lot of e-mails today about Toshiba CEO
    > Atsutoshi Nishida's recent comments to The Wall Street Journal.
    >
    > "What people don't realize is that Hollywood studios are going to release
    > new titles not just for Blu-ray but for standard DVDs as well, and there are
    > a far greater number of current-generation DVD players out there. If you
    > watch standard DVDs on our players, the images are of very high quality
    > because they include an "upconverting" feature. And we're going to improve
    > this even more, so that consumers won't be able to tell the difference from
    > HD DVD images. The players would be much cheaper than Blu-ray players too.
    > Next-generation DVD players are in a much weaker position than when standard
    > DVD players were first introduced."

    Lotsa YouTubes, too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMoFQI5TTzY ;)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Mar 5, 2008

  3. Robo-man

    Tarkus Guest

    Robo-man wrote:
    > Wow...Talk about sore losers. Spreading more lies. Why can't they just admit
    > defeat and hop on board?

    I'd love to ask him why they were trying to push HD-DVD on us, if
    upconversion is so great?
    Tarkus, Mar 5, 2008
  4. Re: Toshiba CEO recent comments: standard DVDs on our players...won'tbe able to tell the difference from HD DVD images.

    Tarkus wrote:

    > Robo-man wrote:
    >
    >> Wow...Talk about sore losers. Spreading more lies. Why can't they just
    >> admit defeat and hop on board?

    > I'd love to ask him why they were trying to push HD-DVD on us, if
    > upconversion is so great?

    Or, as the earlier YouTube puts it:
    "Toshiba Super-UpConverting[TM] Players...With Toshiba, your DVD's are
    going to SUC!" @_@

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Mar 5, 2008
  5. Robo-man

    Guest

    On Mar 4, 8:41 pm, Tarkus <> wrote:
    > Robo-man wrote:
    > > Wow...Talk about sore losers. Spreading more lies. Why can't they just admit
    > > defeat and hop on board?

    > I'd love to ask him why they were trying to push HD-DVD on us, if
    > upconversion is so great?

    I think it's pretty creepy how many people painted Sony as some sort
    of Snidley Whiplash-esque villain while claiming Toshiba's approach
    was so much more "consumer-friendly", and that if Blu won, it'd "kill
    the industry".

    Funny how things turn out when it's all over.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    , Mar 5, 2008
  6. Re: Toshiba CEO recent comments: standard DVDs on our players...won'tbe able to tell the difference from HD DVD images.

    wrote:
    > On Mar 4, 8:41 pm, Tarkus <> wrote:
    >
    >>Robo-man wrote:
    >>
    >>>Wow...Talk about sore losers. Spreading more lies. Why can't they just admit
    >>>defeat and hop on board?

    >>I'd love to ask him why they were trying to push HD-DVD on us, if
    >>upconversion is so great?

    > I think it's pretty creepy how many people painted Sony as some sort
    > of Snidley Whiplash-esque villain while claiming Toshiba's approach
    > was so much more "consumer-friendly", and that if Blu won, it'd "kill
    > the industry".
    >
    > Funny how things turn out when it's all over.

    And thanks to the um, *sterling* group-trauma efforts of Blu-Boy,
    a.v.dvd is one of nature's last remaining prehistoric plateaus, where
    the creatures, defying evolution itself, still talk of "Rootkits", "Beta
    Ray" and "Mini-disks"...

    ....Why, Professor, it's like we've stepped back in time, to a page from
    2006!

    Derek Janssen (the Society will never believe this!)
    Derek Janssen, Mar 5, 2008
  7. Robo-man

    Robo-man Guest

    Re: Toshiba CEO recent comments: standard DVDs on our players...won't be able to tell the difference from HD DVD images.

    > And thanks to the um, *sterling* group-trauma efforts of Blu-Boy, a.v.dvd
    > is one of nature's last remaining prehistoric plateaus, where the
    > creatures, defying evolution itself, still talk of "Rootkits", "Beta Ray"
    > and "Mini-disks"...
    >
    > ...Why, Professor, it's like we've stepped back in time, to a page from
    > 2006!
    >
    > Derek Janssen (the Society will never believe this!)

    Speaking of 'back in time'.

    Does anybody know (remember) what ever happened to ol 'Palpatine'? The
    anti-anamorohic crusader. I wonder if he owns a Plasma TV yet. LOL
    Robo-man, Mar 5, 2008
  8. Re: Toshiba CEO recent comments: standard DVDs on our players...won't be able to tell the difference from HD DVD images.

    On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:02:34 -0500, "Robo-man" <> wrote:

    >> And thanks to the um, *sterling* group-trauma efforts of Blu-Boy, a.v.dvd
    >> is one of nature's last remaining prehistoric plateaus, where the
    >> creatures, defying evolution itself, still talk of "Rootkits", "Beta Ray"
    >> and "Mini-disks"...
    >>
    >> ...Why, Professor, it's like we've stepped back in time, to a page from
    >> 2006!
    >>
    >> Derek Janssen (the Society will never believe this!)
    >>

    >Speaking of 'back in time'.
    >
    >Does anybody know (remember) what ever happened to ol 'Palpatine'? The
    >anti-anamorohic crusader. I wonder if he owns a Plasma TV yet. LOL

    I wonder if Max understands the advantage and "properness" of wide form
    factors now. Probably not.
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Mar 6, 2008
  9. Re: Toshiba CEO recent comments: standard DVDs on our players...won't be able to tell the difference from HD DVD images.

    "Robo-man" <> wrote in message

    > Speaking of 'back in time'.
    >
    > Does anybody know (remember) what ever happened to ol 'Palpatine'? The
    > anti-anamorohic crusader. I wonder if he owns a Plasma TV yet. LOL

    he changed his name and now trolls a uk group moaning about 'shortscreen' tv
    as he calls it.

    --
    Gareth.

    That fly... is your magic wand.
    the dog from that film you saw, Mar 6, 2008
  10. <> wrote in message

    On Mar 6, 9:53 am, "the dog from that film you saw"
    <> wrote:
    > he changed his name and now trolls a uk group moaning about 'shortscreen'
    > tv
    > as he calls it.

    Really? Same guy, or just similar dimentia?

    certainly seems to be - he appeared with the old name and then changed it to
    'lord turkey cough' of all things.

    --
    Gareth.

    That fly... is your magic wand.
    the dog from that film you saw, Mar 6, 2008
  11. Robo-man

    Guest

    <> wrote:
    > > Does anybody know (remember) what ever happened to ol 'Palpatine'? The
    > > anti-anamorohic crusader. I wonder if he owns a Plasma TV yet.   LOL

    Yeah, he really backed himself into a trolling corner by arguing over
    an issue that wouldn't be around for long. Even at the time, it was
    pretty clear that DVD was being pushed into being an all-anamorphic
    format, the only variable was how long it would take. Once his issue
    died, he went away very quickly (good riddance!) with no notice or
    fanfare. For as much as he enjoyed trolling, I'm certain he found
    another forum and another screenname to annoy people with.

    <> wrote:
    > he changed his name and now trolls a uk group moaning about 'shortscreen' tv
    > as he calls it.

    Really? Same guy, or just similar dimentia?

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    , Mar 6, 2008