Toshiba Buys Into HVD Company; Optware. HD-DVD ===> HVD migration? Blue Days ahead for Sony?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Air Raid, Aug 13, 2006.

  1. Air Raid

    Air Raid Guest

    Toshiba invests in holographic disc firm
    HVD to be future of HD DVD?

    Toshiba has invested in Optware, the company developing a holographic
    optical disc claimed to offer significantly greater storage capacity
    than next-generation formats like Toshiba's own, HD DVD.

    Toshiba was one of four companies who together pumped $14m into Optware
    earlier this month. The other investors are Japanese banks and venture
    capital companies.

    Optware's proposed Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) is the same size as
    a DVD but holds more than 1TB of information - more than 200 times the
    capacity of a typical DVD. HVD is faster too, Optware claims, reading
    data at 1Gbps, 40 times DVD's throughput.

    HVD uses a colinear system - essentially the reference and read laser
    beams are projected along the same axis rather than at an angle through
    a single objective lens. The upshot is a much simpler system that's
    better suited to disc media, is smaller and more compatible with DVD
    and CD.

    It's that compatibility which attracted Toshiba's interest, according
    to the company's HD DVD Promotion Division chief, Hiroharu Satoh, in a
    statement.

    "HVD has a glittering promise to be a future optical recording media
    which promises our customers smooth migration from HD DVD," he added.

    HVD is backed by half a dozen consumer electronics firms, including
    Fuji Photo Film, who together formed the HVD Alliance in February this
    year.

    The Alliance, working with Europe-based standards-defining body ECMA,
    is developing specifications for HVD-ROM and HVD-RW products with a
    view to submitting completed specifications to the ISO by the end of
    next year.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/19/toshiba_optware_investment/
    Air Raid, Aug 13, 2006

  2. Air Raid

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Re: Toshiba Buys Into HVD Company; Optware. HD-DVD ===> HVDmigration? Blue Days ahead for Sony?

    Air Raid wrote:

    more obsessive stuff. You need to admit you have a problem and move
    on.

    --
    Paul (Neurotic to the bone No doubt about it)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Aug 13, 2006

  3. On 12 Aug 2006 21:23:46 -0700, "Air Raid" <> Gave
    us:

    >Toshiba invests in holographic disc firm
    >HVD to be future of HD DVD?
    >

    >Toshiba has invested in Optware, the company developing a holographic
    >optical disc claimed to offer significantly greater storage capacity
    >than next-generation formats like Toshiba's own, HD DVD.
    >
    >Toshiba was one of four companies who together pumped $14m into Optware
    >earlier this month. The other investors are Japanese banks and venture
    >capital companies.
    >
    >Optware's proposed Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) is the same size as
    >a DVD but holds more than 1TB of information - more than 200 times the
    >capacity of a typical DVD. HVD is faster too, Optware claims, reading
    >data at 1Gbps, 40 times DVD's throughput.
    >
    >HVD uses a colinear system - essentially the reference and read laser
    >beams are projected along the same axis rather than at an angle through
    >a single objective lens. The upshot is a much simpler system that's
    >better suited to disc media, is smaller and more compatible with DVD
    >and CD.
    >
    >It's that compatibility which attracted Toshiba's interest, according
    >to the company's HD DVD Promotion Division chief, Hiroharu Satoh, in a
    >statement.
    >
    >"HVD has a glittering promise to be a future optical recording media
    >which promises our customers smooth migration from HD DVD," he added.
    >
    >HVD is backed by half a dozen consumer electronics firms, including
    >Fuji Photo Film, who together formed the HVD Alliance in February this
    >year.
    >
    >The Alliance, working with Europe-based standards-defining body ECMA,
    >is developing specifications for HVD-ROM and HVD-RW products with a
    >view to submitting completed specifications to the ISO by the end of
    >next year.

    I predicted this months ago.
    Phat Bytestard, Aug 13, 2006
  4. Air Raid

    FDR Guest

    "Air Raid" <> wrote in message

    > Toshiba invests in holographic disc firm
    > HVD to be future of HD DVD?
    >

    > Toshiba has invested in Optware, the company developing a holographic
    > optical disc claimed to offer significantly greater storage capacity
    > than next-generation formats like Toshiba's own, HD DVD.
    >
    > Toshiba was one of four companies who together pumped $14m into Optware
    > earlier this month. The other investors are Japanese banks and venture
    > capital companies.
    >
    > Optware's proposed Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) is the same size as
    > a DVD but holds more than 1TB of information - more than 200 times the
    > capacity of a typical DVD. HVD is faster too, Optware claims, reading
    > data at 1Gbps, 40 times DVD's throughput.
    >
    > HVD uses a colinear system - essentially the reference and read laser
    > beams are projected along the same axis rather than at an angle through
    > a single objective lens. The upshot is a much simpler system that's
    > better suited to disc media, is smaller and more compatible with DVD
    > and CD.
    >
    > It's that compatibility which attracted Toshiba's interest, according
    > to the company's HD DVD Promotion Division chief, Hiroharu Satoh, in a
    > statement.
    >
    > "HVD has a glittering promise to be a future optical recording media
    > which promises our customers smooth migration from HD DVD," he added.
    >
    > HVD is backed by half a dozen consumer electronics firms, including
    > Fuji Photo Film, who together formed the HVD Alliance in February this
    > year.
    >
    > The Alliance, working with Europe-based standards-defining body ECMA,
    > is developing specifications for HVD-ROM and HVD-RW products with a
    > view to submitting completed specifications to the ISO by the end of
    > next year.
    >

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/19/toshiba_optware_investment/

    I've seen an article in a technical magazine about the two that came up with
    this technology. Seemed to me to be more of a niche thing though.
    FDR, Aug 13, 2006
  5. On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 16:58:23 GMT, "FDR"
    <> Gave us:

    >"Air Raid" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Toshiba invests in holographic disc firm
    >> HVD to be future of HD DVD?
    >>

    >> Toshiba has invested in Optware, the company developing a holographic
    >> optical disc claimed to offer significantly greater storage capacity
    >> than next-generation formats like Toshiba's own, HD DVD.
    >>
    >> Toshiba was one of four companies who together pumped $14m into Optware
    >> earlier this month. The other investors are Japanese banks and venture
    >> capital companies.
    >>
    >> Optware's proposed Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) is the same size as
    >> a DVD but holds more than 1TB of information - more than 200 times the
    >> capacity of a typical DVD. HVD is faster too, Optware claims, reading
    >> data at 1Gbps, 40 times DVD's throughput.
    >>
    >> HVD uses a colinear system - essentially the reference and read laser
    >> beams are projected along the same axis rather than at an angle through
    >> a single objective lens. The upshot is a much simpler system that's
    >> better suited to disc media, is smaller and more compatible with DVD
    >> and CD.
    >>
    >> It's that compatibility which attracted Toshiba's interest, according
    >> to the company's HD DVD Promotion Division chief, Hiroharu Satoh, in a
    >> statement.
    >>
    >> "HVD has a glittering promise to be a future optical recording media
    >> which promises our customers smooth migration from HD DVD," he added.
    >>
    >> HVD is backed by half a dozen consumer electronics firms, including
    >> Fuji Photo Film, who together formed the HVD Alliance in February this
    >> year.
    >>
    >> The Alliance, working with Europe-based standards-defining body ECMA,
    >> is developing specifications for HVD-ROM and HVD-RW products with a
    >> view to submitting completed specifications to the ISO by the end of
    >> next year.
    >>

    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/19/toshiba_optware_investment/
    >>

    >I've seen an article in a technical magazine about the two that came up with
    >this technology. Seemed to me to be more of a niche thing though.

    Data storage. Get on eBay and see if you can bid on a clue.
    Phat Bytestard, Aug 13, 2006
  6. Air Raid

    Alpha Guest

    "Phat Bytestard" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 16:58:23 GMT, "FDR"
    > <> Gave us:
    >

    >>"Air Raid" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Toshiba invests in holographic disc firm
    >>> HVD to be future of HD DVD?
    >>>

    >>> Toshiba has invested in Optware, the company developing a holographic
    >>> optical disc claimed to offer significantly greater storage capacity
    >>> than next-generation formats like Toshiba's own, HD DVD.
    >>>
    >>> Toshiba was one of four companies who together pumped $14m into Optware
    >>> earlier this month. The other investors are Japanese banks and venture
    >>> capital companies.
    >>>
    >>> Optware's proposed Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) is the same size as
    >>> a DVD but holds more than 1TB of information - more than 200 times the
    >>> capacity of a typical DVD. HVD is faster too, Optware claims, reading
    >>> data at 1Gbps, 40 times DVD's throughput.
    >>>
    >>> HVD uses a colinear system - essentially the reference and read laser
    >>> beams are projected along the same axis rather than at an angle through
    >>> a single objective lens. The upshot is a much simpler system that's
    >>> better suited to disc media, is smaller and more compatible with DVD
    >>> and CD.
    >>>
    >>> It's that compatibility which attracted Toshiba's interest, according
    >>> to the company's HD DVD Promotion Division chief, Hiroharu Satoh, in a
    >>> statement.
    >>>
    >>> "HVD has a glittering promise to be a future optical recording media
    >>> which promises our customers smooth migration from HD DVD," he added.
    >>>
    >>> HVD is backed by half a dozen consumer electronics firms, including
    >>> Fuji Photo Film, who together formed the HVD Alliance in February this
    >>> year.
    >>>
    >>> The Alliance, working with Europe-based standards-defining body ECMA,
    >>> is developing specifications for HVD-ROM and HVD-RW products with a
    >>> view to submitting completed specifications to the ISO by the end of
    >>> next year.
    >>>

    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/19/toshiba_optware_investment/
    >>>

    >>I've seen an article in a technical magazine about the two that came up
    >>with
    >>this technology. Seemed to me to be more of a niche thing though.
    >>

    > Data storage. Get on eBay and see if you can bid on a clue.

    Incomprehensible as usual.
    Alpha, Aug 13, 2006
  7. Air Raid

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > Air Raid wrote:
    > >

    > more obsessive stuff. You need to admit you have a problem and move
    > on.
    >
    > --
    > Paul (Neurotic to the bone No doubt about it)
    > Stop and Look
    > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    Actually considering how the videogame wars is now a war over High def
    DVD format, this is worth noting.

    1Terabyte? Well, hopefully it does take off.

    - Richard Hutnik
    , Aug 14, 2006
  8. Air Raid

    wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > Air Raid wrote:
    > > >

    > > more obsessive stuff. You need to admit you have a problem and move
    > > on.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Paul (Neurotic to the bone No doubt about it)
    > > Stop and Look
    > > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    > Actually considering how the videogame wars is now a war over High def
    > DVD format, this is worth noting.
    >
    > 1Terabyte? Well, hopefully it does take off.
    >
    > - Richard Hutnik

    It would be worth noting if he posted once in a blue moon.
    Paul Heslop, Aug 14, 2006
  9. Air Raid

    Air Raid wrote:
    > Toshiba invests in holographic disc firm
    > HVD to be future of HD DVD?
    >

    > Toshiba has invested in Optware, the company developing a holographic
    > optical disc claimed to offer significantly greater storage capacity
    > than next-generation formats like Toshiba's own, HD DVD.
    >
    > Toshiba was one of four companies who together pumped $14m into Optware
    > earlier this month. The other investors are Japanese banks and venture
    > capital companies.

    This story is over a year old. Has there been any more recent news?
    , Aug 14, 2006
  10. Re: Toshiba Buys Into HVD Company; Optware. HD-DVD ===> HVD migration? Blue Days ahead for Sony?

    Air Raid wrote:
    > Toshiba invests in holographic disc firm
    > HVD to be future of HD DVD?

    After reaching out to try to work on a single format time and time
    again, even after launching HD-DVD, this only sounds like more proof
    that Toshiba is afraid of losing this battle. Heck, the fact that they
    are the only manufacturers of HD-DVD drives should say something on its
    own.

    Saying nothing about the quality produced by the drives, or its beating
    of blu-ray, i think HD-DVD's future will not be decided by the
    consumer. This format just doesnt have the required hardware support to
    be a winner, of course through no fault of its own.
    Brenden D. Chase, Aug 14, 2006
  11. Air Raid

    FDR Guest

    > On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 16:58:23 GMT, "FDR"
    > <> Gave us:
    >

    >>"Air Raid" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Toshiba invests in holographic disc firm
    >>> HVD to be future of HD DVD?
    >>>

    >>> Toshiba has invested in Optware, the company developing a holographic
    >>> optical disc claimed to offer significantly greater storage capacity
    >>> than next-generation formats like Toshiba's own, HD DVD.
    >>>
    >>> Toshiba was one of four companies who together pumped $14m into Optware
    >>> earlier this month. The other investors are Japanese banks and venture
    >>> capital companies.
    >>>
    >>> Optware's proposed Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) is the same size as
    >>> a DVD but holds more than 1TB of information - more than 200 times the
    >>> capacity of a typical DVD. HVD is faster too, Optware claims, reading
    >>> data at 1Gbps, 40 times DVD's throughput.
    >>>
    >>> HVD uses a colinear system - essentially the reference and read laser
    >>> beams are projected along the same axis rather than at an angle through
    >>> a single objective lens. The upshot is a much simpler system that's
    >>> better suited to disc media, is smaller and more compatible with DVD
    >>> and CD.
    >>>
    >>> It's that compatibility which attracted Toshiba's interest, according
    >>> to the company's HD DVD Promotion Division chief, Hiroharu Satoh, in a
    >>> statement.
    >>>
    >>> "HVD has a glittering promise to be a future optical recording media
    >>> which promises our customers smooth migration from HD DVD," he added.
    >>>
    >>> HVD is backed by half a dozen consumer electronics firms, including
    >>> Fuji Photo Film, who together formed the HVD Alliance in February this
    >>> year.
    >>>
    >>> The Alliance, working with Europe-based standards-defining body ECMA,
    >>> is developing specifications for HVD-ROM and HVD-RW products with a
    >>> view to submitting completed specifications to the ISO by the end of
    >>> next year.
    >>>

    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/19/toshiba_optware_investment/
    >>>

    >>I've seen an article in a technical magazine about the two that came up
    >>with
    >>this technology. Seemed to me to be more of a niche thing though.
    >>

    > Data storage. Get on eBay and see if you can bid on a clue.

    No really? Really? Wow, really? You must have one of them in your
    computer. And all your friends. Wow, yeah, thay are really ubiquitous.
    I've seen them at Best Buy and Walmart.

    Fucking idiot.
    FDR, Aug 15, 2006
  12. On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:40:56 GMT, "FDR"
    <> Gave us:

    >"Phat Bytestard" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 16:58:23 GMT, "FDR"
    >> <> Gave us:
    >>

    >>>"Air Raid" <> wrote in message

    >>>I've seen an article in a technical magazine about the two that came up
    >>>with
    >>>this technology. Seemed to me to be more of a niche thing though.
    >>>

    >> Data storage. Get on eBay and see if you can bid on a clue.

    >No really? Really? Wow, really? You must have one of them in your
    >computer. And all your friends. Wow, yeah, thay are really ubiquitous.
    >I've seen them at Best Buy and Walmart.
    >
    >Fucking idiot.

    Nice sig, retard boy. Bwuahahahahahah!
    Phat Bytestard, Aug 16, 2006