Toshiba Announces Hybrid Disc

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Black Locust, May 23, 2005.

  1. Black Locust

    Black Locust Guest

    Now this is more like it. A hybrid disc that caters to EVERYONE, not
    just 'early adopters' with wallets full of cash to spend on expensive
    toys(*cough* Allan *cough*).

    "HD DVD has a surprise for Blu-ray"

    By Scott Hettrick

    Toshiba, the company behind the HD DVD format adpoted by Paramount Home
    Entertainment, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Warner Home
    Video, last week announced a pair of storage capacity improvements in an
    effort to gain competitive advantage on rival high-definition format
    Blu-ray.

    Toshiba has devised a way to add 50% more storage capacity to its
    proposed HD DVD format and to provide an option to glue a standard DVD
    movie disc on the bask of every HD DVD movie disc to overcome consumer
    concerns about buying a movie that won't play on the non-high-def
    machines they own. The announcement, which observers said makes the
    prospect of a unified high-def format less likely, gives the HD DVD camp
    a significant perceived advance in its war with the Blu-ray group. The
    news came hours after reports from Japan indicated a unified format
    agreement was imminent, but the reports were quickly shot down.

    Toshiba--supported by Warner, Universal, Paramount and others--leads a
    camp that has developed one format for the next generation of high-def
    DVDs. Called HD DVD, it had offered 30GB of storage capacity(six to
    eight hours of high-def video) on a disc that is a variation of the
    current DVD. Machines and movies have been announced for release in time
    for the holidays this year, although many are skeptical that timeline
    can be met. With last week's announcement, Toshiba says a triple-layer
    HD DVD disc will increase capacity to 45GB on a single-sided disc, or as
    much as 12 hours of high-def content. The double-disc "hybrid" option
    would offer a dual-layer 30GB high-def disc on one side and a
    standard-definition 8.5GB disc on the other.

    Sony and Matsushita, supported by Buena Vista Home Entertainment and
    others, have created a new but similar-looking digital disc, called
    Blu-ray, using a proprietary technology that offers 50GB of capacity.
    The launch is expected in early 2006.

    Neither format is compatible with the other.

    20th Century Fox Home Entertainment and Dream Works Home Entertainment
    have yet to weigh in with their preference and are not likely to anytime
    soon as a commitment at this stage by either or both studios would give
    none of the parties much of a strategic advantage. Fox is believed to be
    concerned about copy protection issues.

    Both sides acknowledge that introducing two incompatible formats for the
    same type of product could be disastrous, causing consumer and retail
    confusion and therefore delaying acceptance and possibly killing chances
    altogether for the adoption of a new high-def disc format, especially as
    electronic and wireless delivery of movies is gaining popularity.
    Black Locust, May 23, 2005

  2. Black Locust

    RichA Guest

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 06:38:54 -0600, Black Locust <>
    wrote:

    >Now this is more like it. A hybrid disc that caters to EVERYONE, not
    >just 'early adopters' with wallets full of cash to spend on expensive
    >toys(*cough* Allan *cough*).
    >
    >"HD DVD has a surprise for Blu-ray"
    >
    >By Scott Hettrick
    >
    >Toshiba, the company behind the HD DVD format adpoted by Paramount Home
    >Entertainment, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Warner Home
    >Video, last week announced a pair of storage capacity improvements in an
    >effort to gain competitive advantage on rival high-definition format
    >Blu-ray.
    >
    >Toshiba has devised a way to add 50% more storage capacity to its
    >proposed HD DVD format and to provide an option to glue a standard DVD
    >movie disc on the bask of every HD DVD movie disc to overcome consumer
    >concerns about buying a movie that won't play on the non-high-def
    >machines they own.

    Average consumer;

    "It won't play!"
    Goes back to video store.
    "You have to turn it over."

    -Rich
    RichA, May 24, 2005

  3. Black Locust

    wrote:

    >Now this is more like it. A hybrid disc that caters to EVERYONE, not
    >just 'early adopters' with wallets full of cash to spend on expensive
    >toys(*cough* Allan *cough*).
    >
    >"HD DVD has a surprise for Blu-ray"
    >
    >By Scott Hettrick
    >
    >Toshiba, the company behind the HD DVD format adpoted by Paramount Home
    >Entertainment, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Warner Home
    >Video, last week announced a pair of storage capacity improvements in an
    >effort to gain competitive advantage on rival high-definition format
    >Blu-ray.
    >
    >Toshiba has devised a way to add 50% more storage capacity to its
    >proposed HD DVD format and to provide an option to glue a standard DVD
    >movie disc on the bask of every HD DVD movie disc to overcome consumer
    >concerns about buying a movie that won't play on the non-high-def
    >machines they own. The announcement, which observers said makes the
    >prospect of a unified high-def format less likely, gives the HD DVD camp
    >a significant perceived advance in its war with the Blu-ray group. The
    >news came hours after reports from Japan indicated a unified format
    >agreement was imminent, but the reports were quickly shot down.
    >
    >Toshiba--supported by Warner, Universal, Paramount and others--leads a
    >camp that has developed one format for the next generation of high-def
    >DVDs. Called HD DVD, it had offered 30GB of storage capacity(six to
    >eight hours of high-def video) on a disc that is a variation of the
    >current DVD. Machines and movies have been announced for release in time
    >for the holidays this year, although many are skeptical that timeline
    >can be met. With last week's announcement, Toshiba says a triple-layer
    >HD DVD disc will increase capacity to 45GB on a single-sided disc, or as
    >much as 12 hours of high-def content. The double-disc "hybrid" option
    >would offer a dual-layer 30GB high-def disc on one side and a
    >standard-definition 8.5GB disc on the other.

    How will offering a triple-layer disc effect costs?
    I guess it will allow them to contain formerly 2-3 disc
    deluxe offerings into one disc.
    -Rich
    RichA, May 24, 2005
  4. Black Locust

    David Z Guest

    > Toshiba has devised a way to add 50% more storage capacity to its
    > proposed HD DVD format and to provide an option to glue a standard DVD
    > movie disc on the bask of every HD DVD movie disc to

    ROFL. This is a good one, from The Onion I take it?
    David Z, May 24, 2005
  5. Black Locust

    Tarkus Guest

    On 5/24/2005 3:45:39 AM, David Z wrote:

    >> Toshiba has devised a way to add 50% more storage capacity to its
    >> proposed HD DVD format and to provide an option to glue a standard DVD
    >> movie disc on the bask of every HD DVD movie disc to

    > ROFL. This is a good one, from The Onion I take it?

    Close.

    http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2005_05/pr1002.htm
    --
    "I don't think anything bad ought to happen to children.
    I think the bad stuff should be saved up for the people

    Now playing: the radio.
    Tarkus, May 24, 2005
  6. Black Locust

    Steve K. Guest

    Black Locust wrote:
    > Now this is more like it. A hybrid disc that caters to EVERYONE, not
    > just 'early adopters' with wallets full of cash to spend on expensive
    > toys(*cough* Allan *cough*).
    >
    > "HD DVD has a surprise for Blu-ray"
    >
    > By Scott Hettrick
    >
    > Toshiba, the company behind the HD DVD format adpoted by Paramount Home
    > Entertainment, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Warner Home
    > Video, last week announced a pair of storage capacity improvements in an
    > effort to gain competitive advantage on rival high-definition format
    > Blu-ray.
    >
    > Toshiba has devised a way to add 50% more storage capacity to its
    > proposed HD DVD format and to provide an option to glue a standard DVD
    > movie disc on the bask of every HD DVD movie disc to overcome consumer
    > concerns about buying a movie that won't play on the non-high-def
    > machines they own. The announcement, which observers said makes the
    > prospect of a unified high-def format less likely, gives the HD DVD camp
    > a significant perceived advance in its war with the Blu-ray group. The
    > news came hours after reports from Japan indicated a unified format
    > agreement was imminent, but the reports were quickly shot down.
    >
    > Toshiba--supported by Warner, Universal, Paramount and others--leads a
    > camp that has developed one format for the next generation of high-def
    > DVDs. Called HD DVD, it had offered 30GB of storage capacity(six to
    > eight hours of high-def video) on a disc that is a variation of the
    > current DVD. Machines and movies have been announced for release in time
    > for the holidays this year, although many are skeptical that timeline
    > can be met. With last week's announcement, Toshiba says a triple-layer
    > HD DVD disc will increase capacity to 45GB on a single-sided disc, or as
    > much as 12 hours of high-def content. The double-disc "hybrid" option
    > would offer a dual-layer 30GB high-def disc on one side and a
    > standard-definition 8.5GB disc on the other.
    >
    > Sony and Matsushita, supported by Buena Vista Home Entertainment and
    > others, have created a new but similar-looking digital disc, called
    > Blu-ray, using a proprietary technology that offers 50GB of capacity.
    > The launch is expected in early 2006.
    >
    > Neither format is compatible with the other.
    >
    > 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment and Dream Works Home Entertainment
    > have yet to weigh in with their preference and are not likely to anytime
    > soon as a commitment at this stage by either or both studios would give
    > none of the parties much of a strategic advantage. Fox is believed to be
    > concerned about copy protection issues.
    >
    > Both sides acknowledge that introducing two incompatible formats for the
    > same type of product could be disastrous, causing consumer and retail
    > confusion and therefore delaying acceptance and possibly killing chances
    > altogether for the adoption of a new high-def disc format, especially as
    > electronic and wireless delivery of movies is gaining popularity.

    PS3 will have Blu-Ray. Most of the computer industry is behind Blu-Ray.
    Blu-Ray now has a 100 GB disc.

    I'd say the war is pretty much over.
    Steve K., May 25, 2005
  7. Black Locust

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Steve K." <> wrote in message
    > PS3 will have Blu-Ray. Most of the computer industry is behind
    > Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray now has a 100 GB disc.
    >
    > I'd say the war is pretty much over.

    Sony has a great track record with winning format wars: Beta, MiniDisc,
    SACD, etc.

    I'd say it's a little soon to be declaring a winner just yet.
    Joshua Zyber, May 25, 2005
  8. Black Locust

    Guest

    your average consumer/store analogy is incorrecrt.

    from my experiences with stores, it's more like this:

    average consumer: "It won't play."

    goes back to video store

    video store clerk: "I can't figure out how this plays, either. Duh."
    , May 31, 2005