Toshiba announces HD-DVDrecorder for 2005.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Feb 13, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Toshiba HD-DVD recorder

    The product: Details are still sketchy on Toshiba's HD-DVD recorder,
    but pricing and availability have finally been announced. The unit
    will be the first on sale to use the HD-DVD format, which the company
    is promoting as a competitor against Blu-ray to succeed the popular
    DVD format. The unit will include an HDMI output, naturally, but
    otherwise little information (including a model number) was available
    at press time. The available specs include:

    * HD-DVD recorder
    * HDMI output
    * Backward compatible with DVD and CD

    The price: The unnamed unit will be available in the fourth quarter of
    2005 for a list price of $1,000.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Feb 13, 2005

  2. Allan wrote:
    > Toshiba HD-DVD recorder
    >
    > The product: Details are still sketchy on Toshiba's HD-DVD recorder,
    > but pricing and availability have finally been announced. The unit
    > will be the first on sale to use the HD-DVD format, which the company
    > is promoting as a competitor against Blu-ray to succeed the popular
    > DVD format. The unit will include an HDMI output, naturally, but
    > otherwise little information (including a model number) was available
    > at press time. The available specs include:
    >
    > * HD-DVD recorder
    > * HDMI output
    > * Backward compatible with DVD and CD
    >
    > The price: The unnamed unit will be available in the fourth quarter of
    > 2005 for a list price of $1,000.

    IIRC, the SD-3006 (Toshiba's 1st generation, top of the line DVD player)
    had an MSRP of $699-$750. At $1000, an HD-DVD recorder sounds pretty
    attractive.

    Matthew

    You can't win
    You can't break even
    You can't get out of the game
    Matthew L. Martin, Feb 13, 2005

  3. Allan

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:51:18 -0500, Allan
    <> wrote:

    >Toshiba HD-DVD recorder
    >
    >The product: Details are still sketchy on Toshiba's HD-DVD recorder,
    >but pricing and availability have finally been announced. The unit
    >will be the first on sale to use the HD-DVD format, which the company
    >is promoting as a competitor against Blu-ray to succeed the popular
    >DVD format. The unit will include an HDMI output, naturally, but
    >otherwise little information (including a model number) was available
    >at press time. The available specs include:
    >
    > * HD-DVD recorder
    > * HDMI output
    > * Backward compatible with DVD and CD
    >
    >The price: The unnamed unit will be available in the fourth quarter of
    >2005 for a list price of $1,000.

    How much will blank discs cost?

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)
    Jon Purkey, Feb 13, 2005
  4. Allan

    poldy Guest

    In article <>,
    "Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote:

    > > The price: The unnamed unit will be available in the fourth quarter of
    > > 2005 for a list price of $1,000.
    > >

    > IIRC, the SD-3006 (Toshiba's 1st generation, top of the line DVD player)
    > had an MSRP of $699-$750. At $1000, an HD-DVD recorder sounds pretty
    > attractive.

    Problem I hear with HD-DVD is that it can't record more than one layer
    whereas Blu-Ray already has dual-layer recorders out in Japan.

    Also, HD-DVD requires a blue-laser diode which draws 10 times as much
    power as the one used by a Blu-Ray recorder.
    poldy, Feb 13, 2005
  5. poldy wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote:
    >

    >>>The price: The unnamed unit will be available in the fourth quarter of
    >>>2005 for a list price of $1,000.
    >>>

    >>IIRC, the SD-3006 (Toshiba's 1st generation, top of the line DVD player)
    >>had an MSRP of $699-$750. At $1000, an HD-DVD recorder sounds pretty
    >>attractive.

    > Problem I hear with HD-DVD is that it can't record more than one layer
    > whereas Blu-Ray already has dual-layer recorders out in Japan.

    Still, starting at $1000 price point, the recorders aren't all that
    expensive.

    > Also, HD-DVD requires a blue-laser diode which draws 10 times as much
    > power as the one used by a Blu-Ray recorder.

    Unless this directly effects longevity, why should I care? The motor
    probably draws much more power than the laser.

    Matthew

    You can't win
    You can't break even
    You can't get out of the game
    Matthew L. Martin, Feb 13, 2005
  6. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:24:29 -0500, "Matthew L. Martin"
    <> wrote:

    >Allan wrote:
    >> Toshiba HD-DVD recorder
    >>
    >> The product: Details are still sketchy on Toshiba's HD-DVD recorder,
    >> but pricing and availability have finally been announced. The unit
    >> will be the first on sale to use the HD-DVD format, which the company
    >> is promoting as a competitor against Blu-ray to succeed the popular
    >> DVD format. The unit will include an HDMI output, naturally, but
    >> otherwise little information (including a model number) was available
    >> at press time. The available specs include:
    >>
    >> * HD-DVD recorder
    >> * HDMI output
    >> * Backward compatible with DVD and CD
    >>
    >> The price: The unnamed unit will be available in the fourth quarter of
    >> 2005 for a list price of $1,000.
    >>

    >IIRC, the SD-3006 (Toshiba's 1st generation, top of the line DVD player)
    >had an MSRP of $699-$750. At $1000, an HD-DVD recorder sounds pretty
    >attractive.
    >
    >Matthew

    I hear ya... considering I paid $3500 for my first stand alone DVD
    Recorder!!!

    Recorder maybe the way to go... since naturally it is a player as
    well... with * HDMI output.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Feb 14, 2005
  7. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    If they charge $35 plus a pop for the media, will you really think seriously
    about it?

    Alpha, Feb 14, 2005
  8. Alpha wrote:

    > "Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote in message

    >>Still, starting at $1000 price point, the recorders aren't all that
    >>expensive.

    (top posting corrected)

    > If they charge $35 plus a pop for the media, will you really think

    seriously
    > about it?

    If they drop the media price to $0.50 over the next two or three years
    (as has happened with other recordable discs), why not.

    Matthew

    You can't win
    You can't break even
    You can't get out of the game
    Matthew L. Martin, Feb 14, 2005
  9. Allan

    Allan Guest

    If they charge .50 for the media... will you really think seriously
    about it?

    Allan, Feb 14, 2005
  10. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    > Alpha wrote:
    >
    >> "Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote in message

    >>>Still, starting at $1000 price point, the recorders aren't all that
    >>>expensive.

    > (top posting corrected)

    Get stuffed. I do not abide by stupid formalizations.
    Alpha, Feb 14, 2005
  11. Allan

    poldy Guest

    In article <>,
    "Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote:

    > Unless this directly effects longevity, why should I care? The motor
    > probably draws much more power than the laser.

    My sense is that the component would cost more, making cost reduction
    more difficult.

    One reason they need a more powerful laser is that the cover layer is
    thicker than Blu-Ray.
    poldy, Feb 14, 2005
  12. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message
    > If they charge .50 for the media... will you really think seriously
    > about it?

    Yes. And so you hold out hope---considering the much less expensive to
    manufacture dual layer DVD+R is still $6 after 18 months?????
    Alpha, Feb 14, 2005
  13. Allan

    Karyudo Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:40:40 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >"Allan" <> wrote in message
    >> If they charge .50 for the media... will you really think seriously
    >> about it?

    >Yes. And so you hold out hope---considering the much less expensive to
    >manufacture dual layer DVD+R is still $6 after 18 months?????

    One of the reasons DVD+R DL is still expensive is because
    manufacturers are already looking ahead to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray! I
    suspect some (or both) HD media will be the next CD-R or DVD-R (i.e.
    ubiquitous and cheap), while DVD+R DL will end up a bit more like
    CD-RW or DVD-RW (more a niche product, and consequently more
    expensive).
    Karyudo, Feb 14, 2005
  14. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Karyudo" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:40:40 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Allan" <> wrote in message
    >>> If they charge .50 for the media... will you really think seriously
    >>> about it?

    >>Yes. And so you hold out hope---considering the much less expensive to
    >>manufacture dual layer DVD+R is still $6 after 18 months?????

    > One of the reasons DVD+R DL is still expensive is because
    > manufacturers are already looking ahead to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray!

    Prove this nonsense.

    Alpha, Feb 14, 2005
  15. Allan

    Joe S Guest

    Alpha wrote:
    > "Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Alpha wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote in message

    >>(top posting corrected)

    > Get stuffed. I do not abide by stupid formalizations.

    If there is no context to your reply, simply delete the unused
    remainder. It's not at all formal, and clearly not stupid.

    --
    Joe
    Joe S, Feb 14, 2005
  16. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Your prediction has just as much vallity as mine.

    "considering the much less expensive to manufacture"

    So please.... let us know what the cost is to manufacture HD Blank
    media.

    You seem to be in the know... so ... give us some insider information!

    Allan, Feb 14, 2005
  17. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:23:05 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >>>Yes. And so you hold out hope---considering the much less expensive to
    >>>manufacture dual layer DVD+R is still $6 after 18 months?????

    >> One of the reasons DVD+R DL is still expensive is because
    >> manufacturers are already looking ahead to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray!

    >Prove this nonsense.

    I ask the same:

    Allan, Feb 14, 2005
  18. Allan

    Karyudo Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:23:05 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >>>Yes. And so you hold out hope---considering the much less expensive to
    >>>manufacture dual layer DVD+R is still $6 after 18 months?????

    >> One of the reasons DVD+R DL is still expensive is because
    >> manufacturers are already looking ahead to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray!

    >Prove this nonsense.

    With pleasure:

    http://cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=918&itemid=0

    I don't post "nonsense."
    Karyudo, Feb 14, 2005
  19. Allan

    RichA Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:58:18 GMT, Karyudo
    <> wrote:

    >>> One of the reasons DVD+R DL is still expensive is because
    >>> manufacturers are already looking ahead to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray!

    >>Prove this nonsense.

    >With pleasure:
    >
    >http://cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=918&itemid=0
    >
    >I don't post "nonsense."

    DL maybe expensive at $10/per, but that's nothing compared to $30/ea
    for Blu-Ray discs.
    RichA, Feb 14, 2005
  20. Allan

    Allan Guest

    <> wrote:

    >>> One of the reasons DVD+R DL is still expensive is because
    >>> manufacturers are already looking ahead to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray!

    >>Prove this nonsense.

    >With pleasure:
    >
    >http://cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=918&itemid=0
    >
    >I don't post "nonsense."

    Thanks for the link. Interesting article.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Feb 14, 2005