    shut downs. Once again I try to run fdisk, it shut downs the machine.
    Any ideas are welcome?

    , Nov 26, 2005

  2. PC Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have this laptop Toshiba satellite A15 S1292 with XP and I can't make
    > it work. The problem I am facing is When I turn on the computer the
    > first screen is the Toshiba logo and later it shuts down.
    >
    > Before reaching this state, I will explain what I did. The first thing
    > I tried was the recover CD,it gave me bad sectors in hard disk. So I
    > tried to fdisk. I deleted the primary and only partition and then
    > restarted. I then tried to format the hard drive and it was checking
    > for volume integrity for a very long time about 3 hours. After that it
    > shutdown automatically. Now when I start the computer, and it stops at
    > the Toshiba logo, the hard drive continues on making noise and then
    > shut downs. Once again I try to run fdisk, it shut downs the machine.
    > Any ideas are welcome?

    Without actually seeing your machine the most likely diagnosis from your
    description is the hard drive is dying/dead.
    As you appear to have at least one machine still working (from this post) I
    would suggest the Universal Boot CD at:
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    Download the ISO, burn it to CD, Boot from it and use the Hard Drive tools
    from your drive manufacturer to test the drive.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Nov 26, 2005

  3. A Brod Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > The problem I am facing is When I turn on the computer the
    > first screen is the Toshiba logo and later it shuts down.
    >
    > Before reaching this state, I will explain what I did. The first thing
    > I tried was the recover CD,it gave me bad sectors in hard disk. .....

    I would strongly suggest buying a new hard drive. Bad Sectors are as
    suggested by their name bad, and a sign of a failing/failed hard drive.
    Once you have the new hard drive you can reinstall windows. If you really
    need the data on the disk then there are utils which can help - not free
    ones though as far as I can find.

    Fact or fiction: A bloke went into a bookshop in Manchester and asked for
    a globe, after being shown where they were he complained that he didn't want
    one of the world he wanted one of Salford.

    A Brod, Nov 26, 2005
  4. Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:59:21 -0800, ramachandran.balu wrote:

    > I have this laptop Toshiba satellite A15 S1292 with XP and I can't make
    > it work. The problem I am facing is When I turn on the computer the
    > first screen is the Toshiba logo and later it shuts down.
    >
    > Before reaching this state, I will explain what I did. The first thing
    > I tried was the recover CD,it gave me bad sectors in hard disk. So I
    > tried to fdisk. I deleted the primary and only partition and then
    > restarted. I then tried to format the hard drive and it was checking
    > for volume integrity for a very long time about 3 hours. After that it
    > shutdown automatically. Now when I start the computer, and it stops at
    > the Toshiba logo, the hard drive continues on making noise and then
    > shut downs. Once again I try to run fdisk, it shut downs the machine.
    > Any ideas are welcome?

    Might be set to silent boot or something similar. Should buy a new hard
    drive however. I have no faith in them once they develope bad sectors.

    Meat Plow, Nov 26, 2005
  5. Rosco Guest

    Meat Plow cried out

    > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:59:21 -0800, ramachandran.balu wrote:
    >
    >> I have this laptop Toshiba satellite A15 S1292 with XP and I
    >> can't make it work. The problem I am facing is When I turn on the
    >> computer the first screen is the Toshiba logo and later it shuts
    >> down.
    >>
    >> Before reaching this state, I will explain what I did. The first
    >> thing I tried was the recover CD,it gave me bad sectors in hard
    >> disk. So I tried to fdisk. I deleted the primary and only
    >> partition and then restarted. I then tried to format the hard
    >> drive and it was checking for volume integrity for a very long
    >> time about 3 hours. After that it shutdown automatically. Now
    >> when I start the computer, and it stops at the Toshiba logo, the
    >> hard drive continues on making noise and then shut downs. Once
    >> again I try to run fdisk, it shut downs the machine. Any ideas
    >> are welcome?

    > Might be set to silent boot or something similar. Should buy a new
    > hard drive however. I have no faith in them once they develope bad
    > sectors.

    Just had kinda a simialr problem with my Toshiba Satellite L25-1195s. I
    attempted to use the restore cd's which ended up reformating the hard
    drive then crashing and refused to go any further. It took sending the
    laptop to thier factory service center and finding out they do not do
    recoveries and speaking with several supervisors with Toshiba, but I
    finally got them to send me the factory recovery dvd set that never
    came with the laptop.

    Rosco, Nov 26, 2005